Baby Names

Options
lilchino4af
lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
edited November 2014 in Social Groups
At what point did you start considering names for your babies? Was it right away, sometime during pregnancy, on delivery day?

I've been making a list since we got married 9 years ago because my hubby has only one rule: the kids cannot share a name of any relative (he's got 8 aunts/uncles, 27 cousins, and he's including cousin's kids - and that's just one side of the family!). Because of this, I keep a list of names I come across and like and then modify it when a relative has a baby that shares one of those names in order to stay ahead of the game and not get stressed. Granted, with my first, her name wasn't on that list to begin with, I just happened across it one day reading something and BOOM! that was it - I knew that would be her name!

We're expecting #2 in March and now that we know the gender (it's a girl!!) I've narrowed the list to 3 first/middle name combos I like, and would love input on which one to choose (before presenting the three to hubby for his input)! I feel like they're all equal and it's hard to choose!!

(Girl #1: Makayla Renee)
- Caitlyn May
- Megan Lynn
- Camryn Nicole

P.S. Feel free to jump in the conversation if you want input on your name choices!

Replies

• mormonmomma11
    mormonmomma11 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    LOVE the name Camryn! So pretty!
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    We've been tossing around names since we found out.
    Boys names are coming so easily.
    But nothing has really "stuck".
    I am sure it will be easier in three weeks when we find out the gender.

• robynn412
    robynn412 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's A LOT of names to keep track of!

I am very partial to Caitlyn, or Kaitlyn in my case. I heard that name 20+ years ago, and just loved it! Knew if I had a girl, that would be it...mine is Kaitlyn Amanda.

Now, we've got a baby boy coming...wanting to use my husband's name as the middle, we've narrowed it down to:
    Chase Joseph
    Jackson Joseph

Chase is the front runner...the only downside, with J as the middle initial, gonna be hard to steer away from initial nicknames...CJ, JJ, which I hate! Just have to nip those in the bud before they start. Haha!! Probably no getting around them later on.
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    We had a girls name picked out from the beginning so thankfully we are having a little girl. Her name is Avery Rose
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have always known the name for a little girl. My whole family is from Poland (literally off the boat - I was the first generation born here). Told hubby that if a girl she would have a Polish name (Aniela - pronounced Ah-Ni-Yell-Ah). Of course, we are having a boy - I am at a loss.
    Lilchino4af - I like Camryn too.
    Robynn412 - I like Chase too - and remember you guys set the nickname and most likely that will be what he goes by.
  • jesskreg
    jesskreg Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I like all the names that everyone has chosen. It's so hard to choose. We're still trying to decide, but we recently heard the name Declan. It's a unique name and I think I like it. We're considering the name Declan Elijah if we have a boy. What does everyone think?
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    JessKreg - I like the name Declan - A friend of mine named her son Declan.
  • kimberly_grubbs
    kimberly_grubbs Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    MelissR75 wrote: »
    We had a girls name picked out from the beginning so thankfully we are having a little girl. Her name is Avery Rose

Shut up!!! We had that exact name picked for a girl!! We're having a boy, but still, that's not a common combination I hear of!!
  • mormonmomma11
    mormonmomma11 Posts: 358 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Robynn- my name is Jessica and my mom always knew she did NOT want me to be "Jessie". Instead they started very early calling me "Jessa" and it stuck until I was in high school, which is when I cut it to "Jess". There are a FEW people who get away with calling me Jessie, and it's not that I mind the nickname one bit - but I know how much my mom doesn't like it... so the people that are around her - call me Jess, Jessica, or Jessa.

Kathy is right - you pick the nickname and it will go just right! In my dad's family there is a BJ, EJ, & CJ. My dad's initials are TJ (middle name Joseph), but he's NEVER gone by his initials so it's totally doable :smiley:
  • Longtobelean
    Longtobelean Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have an incredibly large family. On my mom's side she is 1 of 5, 23 grandchildren, and 32 and counting great grandchildren. On my dad's side he is 1 of 7, 21 grandchildren, and 55 and counting great grandchildren, 5 and counting great-great grandchildren. I also do not like repeating names as a first name. Middle is fine for me.

For that reason we start discussing names very early. Currently with this girl we were thinking Kaitlyn Mary Alleen. The 2 middle names are family names (after grandparents--all my kids are for the middle). So I like your Caitlyn. Though I also really like the name Megan!
  • lilchino4af
    Options
    Hubby said I would rule out Megan because it's more common (and I did lol), and he didn't like Camryn because it's too close to Cameron. And he didn't care for Caitlyn, but he said, what about Cailyn (Caitlyn without the t). I like it! So now we've settled on a first name and off to decide a middle name. Any suggestions for a middle name to go with Cailyn? (oh, yeah, spelling for Cailyn is still undecided lol).
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Rose is a really common middle name right now but I have to admit, I really like Cailynn Rose.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Cailyn Claire? I so desperately want to use Claire as a middle name. lol Hubby is not really on board thou.
  • lilchino4af
    Options
    Rose is a really common middle name right now but I have to admit, I really like Cailynn Rose.
    Ooh, I like that! I will definitely have to mention it to hubby and see what he says. Thanks!

• sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I guess a few days after we found out (I was about 8 weeks then.) I felt like it was going to be a girl so I started calling her Lily to myself. My husband agreed on 'Lily Catherine' after we talked about a few other names. We never settled on a boy name or really even had contenders, then several weeks later we found out it was a girl.

You have so many names to keep track of, I couldn't even imagine!

As for your names, I like Caitlyn and Megan, but my sister's name is Megan so I might be biased there. I didn't realize Cameron was a gender neutral name, I've only known male Camerons before but that does sound nice for a girl too.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Robynn- my name is Jessica and my mom always knew she did NOT want me to be "Jessie". Instead they started very early calling me "Jessa" and it stuck until I was in high school, which is when I cut it to "Jess". There are a FEW people who get away with calling me Jessie, and it's not that I mind the nickname one bit - but I know how much my mom doesn't like it... so the people that are around her - call me Jess, Jessica, or Jessa.

Kathy is right - you pick the nickname and it will go just right! In my dad's family there is a BJ, EJ, & CJ. My dad's initials are TJ (middle name Joseph), but he's NEVER gone by his initials so it's totally doable :smiley:

I went by Jessa too, I loathed being called 'Jessie.' I prefered being called 'Jessica' it's not really that long of a name. It's part of the reason why I wanted to give my daughter a short name so that no one would try to abbreviate.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »

I went by Jessa too, I loathed being called 'Jessie.' I prefered being called 'Jessica' it's not really that long of a name. It's part of the reason why I wanted to give my daughter a short name so that no one would try to abbreviate.

All of my children have names you can't abbreviate - Jack, Maya and Zoë. With Jack, we both wrote a list of names we liked, and we both had Jack on our list. I'd always liked the name Maya, so when we found out we were expecting a girl we went with that. Then third time we decided on Zoë, but not until quite late.
  • Longtobelean
    Longtobelean Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »

We tried this---so our boys are Alex and Logan. People tried to call Alex, "Al" and he shut that down quick, he hates nicknames. People call Logan, "Lo-lo" sometimes. He makes a point to tell them that is stupid and takes more effort than saying his name. Lol--he isn't even quite 5 yet.

My point is, people try to make nicknames no matter what. Our boys hate nicknames, so that shut it down and people listen because they don't want to upset them.

My little girl is MacKenzie. We will not let anyone call her Kenzie. Although in private and occasionally when we want we call her Mac. My husband occasionally calls her Mac-Ann. And to be silly Mac-n-cheese. As a rule though, we do MacKenzie.