Open 2015

Options
Mummyadams
Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
Was anyone else excited to read that they are introducing a scaled level for the 2015 CF Open??

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit torn. If possible I'll do the RX, even if it means (like last time) that I might only get 10 reps on some workouts.
  • kmorgan221
    kmorgan221 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Mixed. On one hand I'm thrilled because I'd be able to "officially" participate. This year we did the open WODs as our Friday workout, so I would do them scaled.

However, I'm having surgery on my arm in 5 weeks, and mostly likely won't be able to participate at all. My goal has been to get to the point where I can do the 2016 open Rx. This just means that I'll be in it no matter what. Rx in '16 is still the goal.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Much more important to get the arm fixed (I remember you posting on that before.) If by chance you can do an open workout, fine, if not just do your thing and get healthy for the summer so you can ramp up to Rx in 16
  • kmorgan221
    Options
    Oh don't worry. My focus is healing and my sights are set on 2016.
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    This will be my 3rd year of participating in the opens . . . I've always done them, even though I've known that at some point, I wouldn't be able to finish or even lift the weight at Rx. This new scaled division should make it more interesting, fun and more popular for people who may have sat-out previous years. So yeah, I'm pretty excited about this year's open !!! *I'm also sure that CrossFit added the scaled division to make more $$, but good for them, especially if it brings more interest and attention to our "cult" :smiling_imp:
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    My box made everyone do the workouts Rx'd last year on Fridays whether we were in the Open or not. It "built community" but was also a sucky workout when you didn't have a movement (like C2B pull ups) because you were just done. A few did get their first C2B or more DU's than ever before so that was cool. But for me, I had to go to CF and then go to a regular gym and workout again because I couldn't get a decent workout at the box those days. CF has scaling in the WODs for a reason. I probably won't do either Open this year, but I'll do the workouts so I'm glad I can scale them now if I need to.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I'm also excited to do it and while I won't be 'officially' doing them, I'll feel much more included when we do them as part of our Fri night Open WOD.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    My box made everyone do the workouts Rx'd last year on Fridays whether we were in the Open or not. It "built community" but was also a sucky workout when you didn't have a movement (like C2B pull ups) because you were just done. A few did get their first C2B or more DU's than ever before so that was cool. But for me, I had to go to CF and then go to a regular gym and workout again because I couldn't get a decent workout at the box those days. CF has scaling in the WODs for a reason. I probably won't do either Open this year, but I'll do the workouts so I'm glad I can scale them now if I need to.

We did this to a point, but there was one where T2B was the only thing I couldn't get. I tried like hell for about 30 seconds, did not get one, then finished doing knee raises just so I could get in a workout. Reported my score at whatever the reps were before T2B

I would just tell your coaches, I'll go RX but if there is a movement I can't do my score will be the reps before that movement, then I'm scaling it so I can get in a workout.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options

This was the part of the CF Open which really made me salty as my gym did the same thing. It made me feel like i was being forced to do something I did not want to do. All the workouts were stupid hard and I did not feel "ready" to do them. As a consequence, I sucked hard. I don't go to CrossFit to compete and I don't go to be made to feel bad about myself. I would rather that my gym have a special class just for the people who want to do the Open workouts so those of us that don't can do something else.
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Our gym has a 9:30 sat. Class and anyone can do the scaled or Rx version of the wod then everyone participating competing in the open does the wod at 10:30. Its nice because it builds community but keeps the wods safe and doable for everyone at every level...which to me is part of what I love about cross fit it can be scaled for everyone.
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    MDLNH wrote: »
    This will be my 3rd year of participating in the opens . . . I've always done them, even though I've known that at some point, I wouldn't be able to finish or even lift the weight at Rx. This new scaled division should make it more interesting, fun and more popular for people who may have sat-out previous years. So yeah, I'm pretty excited about this year's open !!! *I'm also sure that CrossFit added the scaled division to make more $$, but good for them, especially if it brings more interest and attention to our "cult" :smiling_imp:

100% agree to make more money. one of the bigger reasons my coaches dropped their affiliation. We did the open workouts if you wanted to, was just an option for our programming, but we also had 2 girls who were submitting scores and one looking to be legit competitive, and barely missed regionals.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I say, meh. I like how there's a scaled version for competitions (Garage Games/ Galt Games), cuz "mission creep" makes some of the WoDs insane.

Most gyms track their own scaled versions. I really think it's lame when people "want to compete on the whiteboard" (for the masses, not the actual regional / nationals levels). You have no idea if your goals are anything at all like "Fred, 37, Salt Lake City" who is like just below me in after WoD4! oh boy. if he screws up on the next one, I'll beat him. hooray. dig?
  • kmorgan221
    Options
    Wow, what happened to "Program for the best, scale for the rest." There's quite a few athletes, myself included, that couldn't Rx most of those movements. Double Unders, muscle ups, T2B, are just a few. Everyone did the workouts, but we all scaled appropriately for our individual ability.

Now, my box isn't "competition focused" like a few of them around here, although we do participate in them. We have a wide variety of skill levels, and our coaches are great at getting each person's best at whatever scale.