Feeling Discouraged!

Options
Maybe it's the lack of food or the fact that I am a nervous wreak that has me so upset over the simplest things these days. I've been contemplating about my surgery because I am so scared it isn't going to work for me and I will be stuck in this fat suit for the rest of my life! In the past four months I have lost a total of 45 pounds by myself just by eating better and exercising however it feels as though I have accomplished nothing. I am really excited for my surgery, however I am scared at the same time because I don't want to continue to feel as though my accomplishments are still failures. I don't even know if the way I feel is normal or if I am just overreacting. Did anyone else have these emotional ups and downs right before surgery?

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I did. I was also quite successful prior to surgery and was worried that following through with the surgery was a mistake. I ended up deciding to continue because of my history of success followed by regain and I couldn't afford to go through another regain cycle at this point in my life.

I think the key for me was to celebrate every small success, not to focus on the big picture. Losing 50 pounds, then hitting a weight I haven't seen since my kids were born, then 100 pounds, then hitting my wedding weight from 20 years ago. Each step is a huge success!

I also am glad I took before pictures. It allows me to remember what 'before' looked like and helps to remember how it felt. I don't want to go anywhere near back there again.

The 45 pounds you have lost are a great success regardless of what your end point is. The surgery will help to keep you at whatever low you hit, as long as you follow through with the behavior and habit changes.

The surgery will 'work' as long as you fully understand what 'work' means. It will give you significant intake restriction for some time and make some pretty profound hormonal changes in how you feel hunger and satiety. It will not change how you think or act with food. Those changes need to come from your pre-surgery preparation and lifestyle change. Losing 45 pounds is a pretty good indication that you are on the right track, but those behaviors cannot stop after surgery.

We are all wishing you the best, whatever you decide. I believe you have it inside of you to make the changes necessary to be successful. You have our support here if you need some external reinforcement or help!

Rob
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I think the emotional ups and downs are normal --- especially during / contemplating major changes / events. Think of all the reasons why you have decided on the surgery and then research any questions you have. Congrats on the 45 pounds lost!! And best wishes and good luck on your new journey.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I am waiting for my surgery date and my emotions have been all over the place. I think that it is pretty normal. I know that there are going to be some mental challenges in the few weeks after with all the restrictions as well. I also know that it will be worth it. I am trying to work things out in my head. I lost 94lbs a few years ago, just to gain half of it back which is why I know that I need the surgery to help me lose and keep it off. When I lost that weight, I didn't feel any success until I hit about 70 lbs. It felt like I just woke up one day and it hit. You see the changes slowly day to day. Look at old pictures. Count all the NSV you have had so far (clothes size, energy, being able to do something you couldn't before). It will come. I think we are the last to see it and acknowledge it. You are well on your way with a 45lb loss. Keep up the good work!
  • Hildabean
    Hildabean Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am with you girl! I have been going up and down with my decision. My surgery wont be until end of Jan so I have a bit of time to think on it. What I have turned to is my faith. I pray daily about my decision and ask for guidance. He has been showing me the signs of what I should do. I hope you can see your signs also. Best of luck for you!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I "researched" the various surgeries for 2 years, all the while telling myself I could do it on my own, and all the while going up and down the same 40 pounds. Then I finally hit my personal wall and had to admit I wasn't able to do it on my own. Not lose it and not keep it off. I've lost 164 pounds so far, not to goal yet, but also not ready to be done. I want to land and stay somewhere below 200 and that's what I'm still striving for. And I will tell you it was emotional and scary and I was so afraid of failing.

I recently bounced up 7 pounds and felt like I was right back before surgery, losing only to regain. But it's not like before surgery. I upped my water, protein and activity, made sure I was weighing and measuring for accurate portions, lowered my carbs and calories and have lost 3 of that 7 in less than a week. Along with the vastly reduced stomach size is the knowledge that in 50+ years of life I didn't have before on what to do to turn it back around into losing again. You learn a lot about how to get the weight off and how to keep it off.

Look, this isn't a magic bullet that only works for some. This is a tool that if you use it the way it's supposed to be used will help you lose the weight. Key word here is "help". And it's a tool that if you continue to use it will help you keep the weight off. Again, help. Because it's our changes in how we view food and use food that is the ultimate determiner in if we successfully keep the weight off for good.

I'm 3 years out from surgery and like I said still not to goal. It's discouraging for me sometimes when I read on here about people who made goal in a year or 18 months. But I remind myself that they probably had a lot less to lose than I do and maybe they didn't hit as many stalls or they lost faster. Whatever the reason they are to goal and I'm not yet doesn't really matter, because I've lost 164 pounds so far, my mobility is back, my health is so much better and my life immensly improved. So even not to goal yet, I will honestly tell you, this is the best thing I have ever done for myself and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.
  • Shoefly318
    Shoefly318 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I go through the same thing in my head if I let myself think to about it to much. For me it's that doubt that it will not work I ll fail again. I come on here and inspired and motivated by so many people and I choose to put the doubt out of my head not saying it don't creep up but when it does I look at all the people that have inspired me and how far they have come.
  • bbhofmann
    bbhofmann Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes... This decision was a roller coaster ride for me emotionally too..... Stay strong sweetie.... .... You can do this.... You are sooooo worth it.... Best thing I EVER did for MYSELF.....
  • swetienancy04
    swetienancy04 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your positive encouragement! It means a great deal to me to have the wonderful support from all of you I am so thankful for this group...I have found that continuous reassurance from myself has helped and learning to accept the fact that my issues with food didn't appear over night and it's going to take some time not to revert back to old habits. I always want to be perfect at everything I do and allowing myself that room for imperfections has been such a struggle so hopefully with patience and perseverance I can be successful in really changing my life.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    As long as you are in a counseling group that helps you address whatever your triggers are you will do very well with WLS. For some the over eating is driven by emotional issues that if not addressed WILL sabotage. For quite a while after WLS you will not have any physical hunger so anything that drives you to eat must be identified and addressed.

Fortunately for me my triggers were physical. I was always freakin' hungry and if I ate carbohydrates the desire to eat escalated. I love the taste of good food and would eat until it was all gone. The sleeve freed me from physical hunger AND the ability to stuff in too much food. I still have a great palate, still love good food and drink but my "fill" line is 8oz not 80 and by extension my caloric intake is normal. I have lost 125 pounds and have maintained that weight for almost 6 months now. Body fat is 21% and my waist size went from 44" jeans to 33. You can do this!
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    As long as you are in a counseling group that helps you address whatever your triggers are you will do very well with WLS. For some the over eating is driven by emotional issues that if not addressed WILL sabotage. For quite a while after WLS you will not have any physical hunger so anything that drives you to eat must be identified and addressed.

Fortunately for me my triggers were physical. I was always freakin' hungry and if I ate carbohydrates the desire to eat escalated. I love the taste of good food and would eat until it was all gone. The sleeve freed me from physical hunger AND the ability to stuff in too much food. I still have a great palate, still love good food and drink but my "fill" line is 8oz not 80 and by extension my caloric intake is normal. I have lost 125 pounds and have maintained that weight for almost 6 months now. Body fat is 21% and my waist size went from 44" jeans to 33. You can do this!

Yes! Remember to keep getting all the support you can. Counseling groups are SUPER helpful!