Please can someone check my numbers - new and scared but determined :)

Options
Hi

So, a very, very brief history of my dieting. Years, literally over 10 of disordered eating followed by a lot of help, followed by ‘normal’ yoyo dieting losing and gaining the same 10 pounds.

Now I’m at a point where I’m 34, 140 pounds, 5ft 2 which is by no means fat but I am the heaviest I’ve been and I am not toned so I look ok in clothes even though they are tight at the minute but underneath I am wobbly. I’ve played around with eating 1200-1400 calories and obviously lost a bit but then binged to compensate and I’m fed up.

I went to see a nutritionist at my gym and he said ‘eat more’ so for the past 6 weeks I have been eating 2000 calories to try and help my metabolism. I haven’t weighed myself but I feel rubbish BUT I know that in the longterm this is worth it. However, now I want to cut a bit off but I’m unsure where to go. I’ve been having 1600 so far this week but….

I’m doing three gym classes; body pump, conditioning and then fusion or spin. Apart from that I have a desk job. So please can someone help me work this out. I’m unsure if I am light or moderately active. I guess I’m terrified of eating more as I already feel horrible but I need to trust the process. The gym guy says aim for 1700 and don’t count veg.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks so much

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    That is a huge jump in calories that probably wasn't a good idea.
    Because for some of that time, 600-800 calories was truly in surplus daily and going on as fat.
    Just as it takes time for body to slow down daily burn, it can take awhile to speed up too.

So did you use the resources in the stickies for this group to go to Scooby's rough TDEE estimate? Sounds like it.

Because you don't mention how long those classes are, but at even an hour each, that is only Lightly Active, as long as you don't have a kid or dog that gets walked or yard maintenance, ect, that increases your daily activity. Because there is still a fair chunk of the day outside work and exercise. And if not a bump on a log during it, you might be Lightly Active just for that, along with exercise, makes you Moderately Active.
  • Soniastevo1989
    Soniastevo1989 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi. Thanks for replying so quickly.

I actually found all this within the last week so it prob was a bad idea but it's too late now :( The guy at the gym should have helped me. On the other hand I had got to a point where i'd got so sick of dieting that I prob wasn't sticking to low cal for much of the time.

The classes are an hour each so 3 hours of exercise a week. I work at a university in admin so I'm at my desk most of the time 5 days a week. No children or dogs :)

Any advice of what to do now would be great. Thanks so much.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Well, how much gain for that 6 weeks? And have you recalced TDEE based on that weight gain?

Lightly Active sounds right, perhaps round up to nearest 1000 for TDEE.

Start moving the calorie goal slowly to that new TDEE, no more than 100 cal change daily for a week at a time.

Because I'm showing a TDEE closer to 1900 for 3 hrs of high cardio type workouts.
    This is using the spreadsheet on my profile page. Having a bodyfat % estimate would improve the estimate too.

You'll probably want 2 more weeks at least, at correct level.

Then 15% deficit when you get there with about 25 more to lose, so about 1615 indeed.
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't sweat bumping the cals up too fast. I just went to maintnence and didnt do it slow....because my body was giving me a clear message "im hungry" so i went up....a lot of cals....it doesnt stress me out too much because im in this for the long term and it takes lots of time to heal a damaged metabolism but also to heal "diet think". When ifoud EM2WL i did the 12 week reset and saw more positive change in my body than when i eas loosing. Why don't you stick with 2000 for three months and enjoy the benefits of consistent nutrition (body recomp, not being hungry, killing workouts) and then, if you feel ready, start a cut?