Just looking for a critic.

Options
Hey guys. I haven't posted here before, and I try to stay away from the community party of MFP but I could use some advice.

I am not sure if I am doing this right. I was wondering if someone could critic my log and tell me if I am messing up somewhere. I would like to lose weight and this seemed like a swell idea.

Some info.

My TDEE is 2700
My BMR is 2300

I am eating 1500 calories a day. 65% Fat/30% Protein/5% Carbs.

Is this right to put me into Ketosis? I have been doing well for about 2 weeks, but been on and off eating low carbs for about a month. If I continue doing what I am doing, will it be okay?

This is what my last 2 weeks looks like.

Week 1:

8p2iwkfjympo.png

fn01zqaifusz.png

i8f7412xajnp.png

Week 2:

yg3c8vxtk7q9.png

7kwtihbfgxkg.png

2z4e15ne15lq.png

Replies

• 17JayR
    17JayR Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    "My TDEE is 2700
    My BMR is 2300"

If your BMR is 2300 then your daily goal should be AT LEAST 2300. 5/30/65 is a good ratio to start with. If after upping your calories you find that it's more protein then you feel like eating up the fat.
  • wonderfullymadebyhim
    Options
    Use a keto calculator to get your recommended macros. That should get you into ketosis no problem. http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Dude that regimen is redonk. If you can keep it up then of course you will maintain ketosis. You should track vitamins and minerals to make sure you are getting the RDA.

Otherwise I think you/that diet will be OK. Pay attention to whether you are getting irritable, tired, achey, whatever.

When I was actively LCHF, I found that I was short on calcium and some vitamins, that I then began to supplement.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I think you need to eat more calories. I'm a big fan of eating 20% less than TDEE, in your case would be 2160. That should produce consistent weight loss. Otherwise yes, 65/30/5 will send you into ketosis. Personally I follow 70/25/5 and try to eat over on fats and a little under on protein when possible.
  • GalactusEmpire
    GalactusEmpire Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys.

I hear a lot of people saying to eat more calories. I used to eat 1300 but people said to eat more so I raised it to 1500. Sometimes it is a struggle to remember to eat that much. At 1500 I maintain a feeling of being full. Also, I am not sure I could afford to eat another 500 calories a day. I have a strict food budget and I am barely able to afford a KETO diet at 1500 a day. Unless you can suggest something super super cheap that can boost calories and fall into my macros? Is there any serious issues with eating only 1500 instead of 2100+?

I take supplements and daily vitamins. I haven't felt any physical side effects.

I think I might try to change my macros to 70/25/5. I feel that can be accomplished pretty easily.

Again, I appreciate the advice and input. You guys are quite helpful.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I would say your most serious possible side effects of eating so low below your BMR (which will need to be re-calculated as you lose weight) are:

Lack of nutrients.

Lack of energy.

Being hungry. I don't think this big of a deficit is realistically sustainable for very long. I believe that you are going to get really hungry eventually.

Depending on how much weight you have/want to lose, you could lose so quickly that you end up with very loose skin, stretch marks, etc.

Your body adjusts to being on so few calories and changes your metabolic activity, which means you'll have to maintain on less than you would if you just stuck to a more healthy deficit.

Denying yourself the amount that you can eat and still lose weight seems to be very self punishing to me. If you have a lot of weight to lose (more than 80 lbs.) I'd say you probably can do a deficit of 1000 cals per day (1700 cals per day), which would put you at losing 2 lbs per week, if you did not add exercise to create an even larger deficit.

If you only have about 25-40 lbs. to lose, I'd set it for a 500 calorie deficit daily, and eat 2200 calories per day.

You are very lucky to have such a high BMR and TDEE, as you can eat much more than many other folks trying to lose weight. Remember to recalculate it when your weight changes (every 10-15 lbs or so) and adjust it if your activity level changes.

If you are not already eating full fat everything, then add more butter, oils, full fat meats, peanut butter, chicken skin, bacon, pork rinds, etc. to your diet. There is no reason to eat "diet" food on keto. This will get your calories up, while keeping your carbs low, and the size of the food is no different, it's just more dense calorie-wise.
  • JennyToy
    JennyToy Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I buy alot of "round steak" - it's thin cut but will satisfy my "red meat" urge without alot of calories. I can buy 2-3 meals of it at Walmart for about $5.00. You can buy a box of Fatburgers at Walmart for less than ten dollars, they are filled with fat & calories LOL. Also i haven't been to an Aldi's in awhile but they have very decent meat selections. Or try Chili-Kroger's has skyline chili mix and you just need fatty ground beef for that, a cup = a portion and it would take me weeks to get through it all if i didn't have other people in the house. Just a few ideas :)