Foot problems and exercise

Options
Connie7355
Connie7355 Posts: 496 Member
Does anybody else have foot problems that hinders their getting exercise? If so how do you deal with it? I have seen chair exercises on youtube and wondered if anybody had tried them and if they do you any good? I can use some input on how to exercise while being unable to walk much. Thanks!

Replies

• socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Swimming?
  • Connie7355
    Options
    I live in a really small town that doesn't have much in the way of gyms or indoor pools that are close and affordable. Even our outdoor pool was closed for repairs this year.But, yes, I think swimming would be a great alternative.
    How are you doing, Kay? Any word on getting on the transplant list yet? You are doing great on your weight loss!!
  • Melij
    Melij Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have plantar facisitis (spelling?) so I can't do a lot. I used to ride a bike and considered starting that again. It burns a lot of calories :happy: I don't know the type of problem you have, hopefully it is temporary. Since you don't have a gym nearby you could look into renting or picking up an exercise bike on Craigslist.
    As for chair exercises, any exercise is better than no exercise. I just need a healthy dose motivation to do something I've really been lazy lately.
  • Connie7355
    Options
    I have plantar fasicitis too. Sure isn't any fun, is it! I'm going to try and get an exercise bike. Didn't know if that would bother my foot or not. Hope yours gets better! I've had this for 4 months and some days its better and other days its not. Good luck!
  • juliew3
    juliew3 Posts: 14 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Try rowing?

Also, I found my problems with plantar fasciitis disappeared as I lost weight. It hasn't flared since I lost the first 50 or so pounds. Hopefully, those of you who also suffer will have the same experience.
  • caro123shepp
    caro123shepp Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I had a bad fall in June! I broke my right arm at the shoulder and tore the ligaments in my right foot! My best friend is my exercise bike! I am doing a virtual mission using the app! It encourages you to log your virtual bike rides and any small amount of walking you can achieve as you make your virtual journey. I have traveled 335km so far since late August as my foot has been recovering! It is still troublesome.As for my arm !!!!! A lot better but restricted and not as strong as it should be! Still it is a lot more useful than it used to be!
  • Krikit34
    Krikit34 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've had plantar fasicitis in the past. If you haven't, go to a foot doctor. I had some cortisone shots that helped a lot. (They sound awful to get, but they're not that bad.) I haven't had any problems or needed to see my doctor for a couple of years now. There are also some foot stretching exercises that can help stretch the tendons in your foot and make it better. I also bought better shoes that made a huge difference!
  • SbRaza
    SbRaza Posts: 23
    Options
    Plantar fasciitis is rather trendy lately... i also suffer and it is quite bad... had it for a few months now on NSAIDs. Have to rest a lot so exercising is rather difficult. looking into getting a bed cycler for the much needed cardio
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I have had achilles tendonitis, plantar fasciitis (cortisone shots didn't help--made it worse, in fact) and now peronal tendonitis in my ankle. What helped was physical therapy with a therapist who is trained in Active Release Therapy (ART) and Graston therapy. She worked/works on my foot and calf with those techniques and then gives me exercises to do. The exercises are to strengthen the foot/ankle/calf. If you don't strengthen your foot, you will have a recurring problem.
  • SallySharber
    Options
    I have plantar fasciitis and bone spurs in both feet. Getting custom orthotics was THE best money I spent in a LOOOONG time!!
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Well, I broke my toe a week ago, and it hasn't been much fun so far. Can't do my walking for a lot of the exercise I normally do. Riding the bike.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Ouch! Been there, done that. Have you tried a toe splint? Seems weird but the splint helps with the pain when walking or standing.
    Well done on taking to the bike during this time!
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    It is splinted to the next toe. It's been over a week, but it still hurts a lot if I step wrong.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    I hope it starts feeling better soon. Broken toes are no fun.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    Thank you. It is better than it was, but I always end up hurting it, it seems.
  • adams3036
    adams3036 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi .I have Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome in my right leg & foot. I also walk with cane. Walking is very difficult but everyday I walk with my husband & our dogs about a half mile. I just started walking again so i am hoping I can increase the time and distance. I also have a swimming pool but can only really use it in the late spring & summer months. Exercise is difficult because without doing any, I really have put on some weight. What do you do for exercise?
    Kathy
    Murrieta, California ☀️
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Hi Kathy! I think it's great that you're walking despite some pain & discomfort. It takes a lot of commitment to exercise everyday.
    I run 3x a week for most of the year. In the nicer months I walk and hike with my step-dad and since time is a constraint that halts my running for awhile. But the walking/hiking hasn't seem to interfere with my running.
    I am also learning tai-chi. With class and practice, that takes about 3-4 sessions per week.
    Between the two activities, it's enough for me. I'd like to start biking but have to find the time to fit it in.
    I used to swim every second day (this was many years ago). I loved it. If I lived closer to a pool, I'd take up swimming again.
  • FishyK
    FishyK Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    njitaliana wrote: »
    I have had achilles tendonitis, plantar fasciitis (cortisone shots didn't help--made it worse, in fact) and now peronal tendonitis in my ankle. What helped was physical therapy with a therapist who is trained in Active Release Therapy (ART) and Graston therapy. She worked/works on my foot and calf with those techniques and then gives me exercises to do. The exercises are to strengthen the foot/ankle/calf. If you don't strengthen your foot, you will have a recurring problem.

My plantar fasciitis was totally cured with prescription custom made orthotics in shoes with large toe boxes.

My Achilles tendinitis is current but as long as I wear the footwear mentioned above with an added heel lift, it's resolving.

Also I'm a huge fan of the Graston Technique! I had some very weird knee issues that came up after my hip replacement because I had been walking wrong for so long. My practitioner (who happened to be a chiropractor) did the Graston (pretty uncomfortable) and gave me some really weird exercises which fixed me up when my ortho could do nothing. That issue had to do with stiff connective tissue pulling my kneecap off to one side.

Google up your condition and find locals who have helped others. If I hadn't done that I'd still be on crutches!