Let's hear it for tea..beat the diet soda cycle

Options
kkimpel
kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
I have to tell you all how much I'm loving Celestial Season's Fruit teas.. Wild Cherry... True Blueberry (my very favorite.. iced) Though I love black iced tea in the afternoon, I love these teas as a little pick me up from water fatigue.

What about you... do you have a way to beat the diet drink cycle? aspartame gives me a blinding headache.. so I never have liked it, but I have heard from several folks who'd like to kick the habit.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    The day I discovered I could put a passion tea bag in cold water and go about my day was such a good day. I love orange tea, passion tea, ginger tea... usually cold.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Chai! No milk for me.
    Fresh tea with a couple of twigs mint and grated ginger, lime and honey...err...stevia... ;)

q4uobm3h61ba.png

• farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I have not tried iced black tea!!! I did not know u could do that. Just put it in cold water and it does its thing???? Or do i need to do hot water then add ice?
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It's best if you brew normally with hot water to draw more taste, then cool in fridge. Add icecubes as prefer. But sabines method is faster :)

There's NO reason to buy Nestlé iced tea or whatever brand. Those are more like lemonade.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The day I discovered I could put a passion tea bag in cold water and go about my day was such a good day. I love orange tea, passion tea, ginger tea... usually cold.
    I just discovered this again last week with a lemon tea bag.... :smile:

edit to add my DH's secret recipe for mugi cha (barley tea, a summer staple in Japan here). He boils water to steep the tea in a small pot (you can use black tea bags) and adds a tbsp of instant coffee to intensify the flavor. Pour it into a glass pitcher for the fridge, then add cold water to fill it up. We sip that all summer, but it will work anytime.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    One of my caffeinated favorites is to brew a hot green tea, then mix that with an iced passion tea. Add a little stevia and some ice and voila: iced caffeinated goodness.
  • JennyToy
    JennyToy Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Lots of gas stations and C-stores have lots of different flavors of unsweetened tea now. No need to go for diet soda (and i used to be a true diet soda addict!). here here!
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Well tickle me pink!!! I will be doing this! I have pomegranate that I think would taste fantastic cold.
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I do exactly that... My cherry tea is sitting in water waiting right now..

• LoraKay131
    LoraKay131 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    now if i can just get rid of the sugar free syrups. thus far, ive had no impact from them, yet im only a little under a week in. :)
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    LoraKay131 wrote: »
    now if i can just get rid of the sugar free syrups. thus far, ive had no impact from them, yet im only a little under a week in. :)
    LK;

Getting "rid" of them - ALL of them, really is the "best" solution (IMO).
    As the old saying goes (sort of) - "Some's worse than others-Ain't none that's good"

Easy for me to say, I know.
    I'm lucky in that I've never had a "sweet tooth" (some would say it goes along with personality <g>), so I wasn't really "giving up" anything or dealing with the sugar "cravings".

My bride OTOH "was" the poster girl for all things sweet. (She'd leave perfectly good food on her plate to "save room" for desert, start her day with a robust selection of sugar "bombs", and end it with 1/2 gallon of supersugarsized ice cream.

Two or three weeks in, she not only lost the "cravings" but actually had to admit that "I really don't miss them as much as I thought I would. And now, after have achieved and sustained NK/FA (her BOHB levels 0.5-1.0mmol consistently) it's rare that she eats any past a small piece of dark chocolate or serving of homemade (sugar/SA "free") ice cream.

If she could do it - you can too.

Here's a pretty good article that provides some info you might find interesting (although I don't necessarily agree with her position on "real" sugar).

tinyurl.com/czmltk3

There is also a growing number of recent studies supporting the position that "...ain't none that's good" - if not clinically, at least observationally.

The GI "issues" are just one of many that affect "some" folks - the IR & BG issues however, appear to impact much closer to "most" - than "some".
  • marye2021
    marye2021 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Did not realize that you could still steep a tea bag in cold water!! really helpful on the days that I don't want anything hot!
  • LoraKay131
    LoraKay131 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    thank you deansdad. :) my mouth screams no no no, i want sweet creamy coffee! and there's this small niggling voice in the back of my mind that taps me on the shoulder and whispers "that *kitten* is awful for you". i think that i will set a goal for myself in regards to my usage, and go forward.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...I love seeing life from other people's perspectives. I actually use diet soda as a treat occasionally. I never considered myself a big sweet eater, especially not compared to my hubby who drinks root beer (aka liquid candy) and snacks every night on Whoopers (the candy, not the BK food), ice cream and other sweets EVERY NIGHT...staying slim. Luckily I've never been much of a night eater, I hate feeling full when going to bed. But like most women, I crave sugar during certain times. The past few weeks I've had a handful of times when I did want something sweet, so grabbed a caffeine free diet soda and it seemed to hit the spot and help with the craving. I also use sugar free syrup in my coffee each morning. I haven't had any issues with weight loss stalling, yet. But if I do, I guess I would consider cutting these items. But until then...diet pepsi will probably remain my go to treat.