Possible to stay in ketosis and be a pescatarian?

Hey everyone,
I've just started the Keto diet 12 days ago and so far so good, but I'm getting so sick of seafood. Is there anyone else who has successfully been able to stay on this diet as a pescatarian for at least a few months?

Also, it would be very helpful to me to have to have some friends on this site who are dedicated to this diet. If this is you please add me! Thanks.

Replies

• middleagedmeh
    middleagedmeh Posts: 104 Member
    Hi and welcome,
    You are the first pescatarian I meet.
    is it for health or ethical reasons? If it is for health we could try to convince you to join the meat eaters.

I think I can eat fish forever as I love it. The trick is spicing it and adding fats. Coconut oil and butter are your friends (garlic, red pepper and cayenne have to be in your arsenal).
    Fish can be boring if you don't vary. Salmon can be had many different ways and taste completely different. Tuna steaks are more about the sauce (heavy cream is okay on keto).

Good luck from a fish lover who also eats meat.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Hi. I'm not pescie, but I do love fish. I will, on a regular basis, have fish. I generally poach it, but Middle is right, you need to add fat. I end up topping my fish with butter or ghee. and always have a veg with fat along side...i.e. green beans or asparagus, sautéed spinach. Do you also eat shrimp and/or other crustaceans or shell fish, or strictly fin fish?
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    I'm on day 36 as a vegetarian, and I'm doing fine!
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    I honestly don't see how anyone can get the macros truly to be keto if they are vegetarian. Pescetarian would work, but that's an awful lot of seafood. I guess if you love it, then you'd be able to do it.

Out of curiosity, what does a vegetarian eat that keeps their macros keto?
  • olivebeanhealthy
    olivebeanhealthy Posts: 127 Member
    Of course it's possible, as there are a variety of non-meat sources that contain protein. Your options are just less varied. I find that I am usually supplementing with protein powder (partly for financial reasons, which would also be there if I ate meat) - I know meat eaters who also supplement with protein powder though too.
  • MissMaggie3
    I eat eggs in different forms, different types of cheese, loads of nuts and nut butter (yum!), roasted seeds, cream, and let's not forget that some vegetables have protein too. I check on a good keto calculator from time to time, and my macros are fine.
  • MissMaggie3
    edited November 2014
    Oh, and tofu. And yoghurt.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    I think it's possible as long as you continue to add the fats to your diet. But I agree, it could get boring.

Welcome! And I sent you a friend request. :)
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Oh, goodness...I was thinking a vegan, not vegetarian, but now that I realize my mistake, it never made sense at all being that this person eats fish. I need a brain ctrl-alt-delete.
  • volfan22
    volfan22 Posts: 149 Member
    1 tbsp peanut butter (all natural), 1 tbsp coconut oil and 2 tbsp heavy cream. I mix it all up in a bowl and divide into about 3-4 servings (spoonfuls) - place them in the freezer and when I get a craving or just want something I grab one - they are a great "fat bomb" and keep me going for hours.

I'll also make protein shakes with Nectar Brand (zero carb) Chocolate Truffle protein powder, handful of washed spinach, 2 tbsp peanut butter, 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk, 1/2 cup heavy cream, a few stevia drops and some ice - blended. It's like a reece's peanut butter cup in a glass.

There are so many other things you can eat besides fish. Do you bake with Almond flour? I make a ton of different things with it. I'm a meat eater too, but I get tired of it from time to time and have to go to something different. We had pizza last night - tons of veggies. All keto.