Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Sugar cravings as I start back on keto.....

kmca1803
kmca1803 Posts: 77 Member
I have just started back on Keto (a sort of strict Atkins 72 approach that I know works for me) and I'm struggling to overcome those first week sugar cravings!! I know they will pass soon, but all the little sugar receptor monsters inside me are screaming at me at the moment to feed them.
I'm currently sipping away at a pot of mint tea to distract myself but does anyone have any more tips to distract or curb the cravings?

Replies

• nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    jimmy moore suggested slapping some butter on a piece of full fat cheese and eating that...which I have done on multiple occasions. Because I like cheese. And butter.

you might try some kind of fat bomb....there are a ton of them on the pinterest.

go for a walk? do some housecleaning. drop and give me 20 for every thought of chocolate.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    I remember those days...not so fondly. I'm not even a big fan of sugar but the first 4 days were still really difficult. I would recommend a sweet treat maybe when the cravings get really bad. There are lots of recipes that have only 1-2 carbs that may satisfy your craving while not blowing the diet. You could make a fat bomb with cocoa powder. Yum.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    This week I made some dark chocolate mint 'keto candy'. i melted 100% cacao with ghee and coconut oil, added some stevia and mint extract. poured into silicone molds....totally satisfying!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,734 Member
    nill4me wrote: »
    This week I made some dark chocolate mint 'keto candy'. i melted 100% cacao with ghee and coconut oil, added some stevia and mint extract. poured into silicone molds....totally satisfying!

I did something like this with baker's chocolate, almond butter, grassfed butter, coconut oil/cream cheese (I cut the amount of coconut oil the recipe called for by half, subbed the cream cheese) and sweetleaf drops. Silicone mold, perfect little bars.

• radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    In the first week my solution (and my advice to others) is simply to eat more as needed. Screw calories, just eat keto friendly stuff whenever you're hungry, whenever you're craving sugar have a steak, or some eggs, or whatever you have to get you through it.

You'll probably lose weight anyway b/c of the water weight drop, and this is a long term deal anyway, so just getting into ketosis without being miserable is key. I have terrible willpower, keto works for me b/c I don't need it. No need to go right in at the start testing the willpower in the worst ways with sugar craving.
  • kmca1803
    kmca1803 Posts: 77 Member
    Thanks guys, some great tips there. I ended up having a quest bar, which promptly stalled me. I suspected it would, so should have known better!
  • JennyToy
    JennyToy Posts: 149 Member
    A Quest bar is still a hundred times better than many other things!
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Quest bars have too many carbs.

Hot sauce, peppers and pickles and water distract me from hunger.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    There is a great recipe for chocolate peanut butter on Alison's website:

http://www.butterisnotacarb.com/chocolate-fat-bombs/

I make them all the time. I do variations by omitting the peanut butter and substituting, almonds, pecans, peanuts, mixed nuts, dried coconut. You can really have fun with it. And they are supper easy to make. I don't use the molds she has, but just use a regular cupcake mold and line it with cupcake papers. The papers allow you to handle them without them melting on your fingers.

Enjoy,

Dan the Man from Nutty Fat Bombs Michigan
  • mherbert0
    mherbert0 Posts: 18 Member
    Those chocolate peanut butter fat bombs look delicious ... I will have to try them.

I'm a big fan of the classic "cream cheese clouds". I've started experimenting with the recipe lately and I've come up with something I like even better: Chocolate Coconut Bombs:

Ingredients
    1. 4 tablespoon Kerrygold Butter Salted (room temp)
    2. 4 tbsp, Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
    3. 8 oz Cream Cheese (room temp)
    4. 2 Dante Confections 98% Organic Cocoa Stevia Chocolate Bars
    5. 3/4 cup Erythritol
    6. 2 tsp, Vanilla extract

Melt chocolate in microwave, mix all ingredients together (with hand or stand mixer) and drop by spoonful onto parchment paper. Place into fridge or freezer till fully chilled.

The Erythritol doesn't dissolve, and IMO gives a nice crunchy/grainy texture. Some may find this off putting, but it works for me. If you like coconut, trade some of the butter for more coconut oil. Or add shredded coconut to them. I think they taste basically like mounds bars.

You do have to be careful with any of these types of treats. It's easy to "over eat" on them!