How much protein per day do you eat?

Options
Sometimes I still felt hungry even when I had enough fat.
I increased my protein intake to 150g/d. So I eat about 5% carbs, 30% protein and 65% fat on 2500 Kcal a day. When I exercise a lot or go for an hour run I just eat more fat. However I have read that could be too much protein.
Any thoughts on it guys?

Replies

• crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'm curious what people will reply. I've heard so many different things!

I got my values from the keto calculator: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • leicesteralex
    Options
    crisb2 wrote: »
    I'm curious what people will reply. I've heard so many different things!

I got my values from the keto calculator: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Same here. My calculation says between 88g minimum and 145g max. Maybe I need more because I walk a lot at work. Some days 10 miles and go for a run as well multiple times a week. Maybe I just need more protein or carbs
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I think about 60 grams, but I'm pretty short and a woman.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,513 Member
    Options
    I eat 80-90/day generally speaking, but on 1350 cals, that's just under 30%. My fat is 93+ for 65% or so.
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I increased my protein intake to 150g/d. So I eat about 5% carbs, 30% protein and 65% fat on 2500 Kcal a day. When I exercise a lot or go for an hour run I just eat more fat. However I have read that could be too much protein.
    Any thoughts on it guys?
    Leic;

Neither I, nor anyone else here can tell you if your levels are "right" - only you can do that, there are just too many variables involved.

What we can do is point you toward the best available info - first to "arm" you with that you need to make an informed decision for your personal numbers, and second to build an understanding of the "whys".

You should know going in that my opinions differ from the "mainstream" sometimes, for what I believe are valid reasons based on the science. Others may disagree and that's fine.

Starting with, I'm not a real big fan of the "keto calculator - actually not a fan of ANY of the calculators and because one names itself "keto" doesn't necessarily make it any better than the others.

All calculators are based on one of four or five algorithms, most of which have been around for years. Recent studies have demonstrated that the MOST accurate of them are "off" by an average of 16%.

So when relying on their "results" you are starting off with one foot in the grave. Now add in the "normal" logging errors, omissions, "guesstimates", and just plain "oops...forgot" (everybody does) and you might as well throw a dart at the wall.

To your specific question regarding protein, my take from the literature I've seen is that "many" (most?) are consuming levels well in excess of their "ideal" amount. For "most" people, I'm convinced that the "ideal" level is much closer to 20% than it is to 30.

BUT, in addition to being "just" my opinion, I say it with the VERY LARGE proviso that it is entirely possible that for YOU (or any other "you"), 30 might be the right number....it depends.

What we know for sure is that gluconeogensis occurs and that it is directly related to excess protein, insulin, and blood glucose levels. We also know that it absolutely can and does affect ketone production and can, in fact prevent one from entering (or remaining in) ketosis.

The question is, at what level does that occur? Which brings us full circle to the answer that ONLY YOU can determine it for you.

Depends on your overall macro profile, your individual levels of carb and insulin resistance which then impact the level of protein that will "overfeed" the production of glucose.

Nailing down the numbers isn't easy and it's pretty much impossible without detailed, accurate, measurements and record keeping. Blood or breath keto numbers (styx are basically useless) and blood sugar readings are the best bet.

Or, do what most do (and what actually "works" pretty well for many) and start someplace (whatever "calculator" you chose, really makes very little difference) and if you are not satisfied with the results, change ONE thing (total cals or carbs, fat/protein rations) at a time and GIVE IT TIME (at least a couple weeks) before changing the next item.

100% opinion (but you did ask)...if I were you, I'd drop proteins and increase fats.

"Slow and steady", the "tortoise and the hare", or the "old bull and the young bull" - whichever works for you.
  • BansheeCat
    Options
    DeansDad is correct. Nonverbatim-- What works for you may not work for someone else. Only you can decipher your macros. Personally, I dont think you need a max level of protein unless body building is a full time job, etc. Then again, I'm not a health expert.

I lowered my protein from 70 to 54mg (while raising my fat%) because I wasn't noticing results. Also, eating that much felt unnatural--I really had to push myself and often felt unwell afterwards. I'm feeling much better and BF% is decreasing with my current macros now is 10c/15p/75f.
  • shortnsassy1981
    shortnsassy1981 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am 5 ft and I try to get 100 grams a day. But I enjoy biking or running 15-20 miles a day. I have found that higher protein is muscle sparing for me as I lose weight.
  • wonderfullymadebyhim
    Options
    These are the macros I try to stick to as a female, 41 yrs, 171 lbs, somewhat active

1594 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    20 g Carbohydrates (5%, 80 kcal)
    80 g Protein (20%, 320 kcal)
    133 g Fat (75%, 1194 kcal)
  • KaroshiQueen
    KaroshiQueen Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    With protein, you need to watch that the excess isn't converted to glucose. Since I'm sedentary due to a recent illness, I'm keeping my protein @ 40-50g/day, while my carbs are under 25g and fat is around 85-95g. This works out to a 20/10/70 ratio most of the time, but sometimes I trade carbs for fat and cut them even lower. Since I don't work out yet, there's no reason to raise my protein, and I've been in ketosis for a while, so something's working. It depends on how your particular body responds to the macros - as the others have said, tweak one thing and wait to see results. Don't change everything at once or you may not be able to figure out which part made the difference. (I'm a 40 yo fem @ 5'3", 182 lbs)
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Depends on your goals, Mine is 75-80% fat, 5% carbs with 80-100g of protein when trying to lose fat. I bump my protein to 180-200g when i am trying to bulk up and gain weight. My maintenance protein level is around 130 g /day. If I go over 150g of protein, I start gaining weight. As a rule of thumb unless you are a body builder 1g of protein/Kg of body weight is a good start.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I just found the Optimal Ketogenic Living group on Facebook after a link somewhere on MFP pointed it out--https://www.facebook.com/groups/OKL4Vitality/
    --and the admins there have stickied a chart (in Files) that tells you your protein range based on your % lean body muscle -- it recommended higher than I had thought for me, so I upped my protein goals this week. Still trying to meet the macro goal though! I have been stalled for most of the summer and fall, so looking for ways to shift some fat :)
    YMMV
  • clarksnack
    Options
    Great conversation. After many years of being low carb and trying to get my protein higher than my fat, I read Keto Clarity. This was the first time I had heard that too much protein might not help in losing/maintaining weight. I've lowered my protein and have seen result. My macros are very similar to KaroshiQueen... on a 1250 - 1350 cal per day, I try to keep carbs under 25 grams, protein around 40 - 50 grams and the remainder in fat. I haven't used any measuring device for ketosis, but have plugged my macros into www.flexibleketogenic.com each day, with a goal of 2 or more. It's been three weeks so I hope I am solidly in ketosis. Lowering the protein was my biggest tweak and it seems to have worked to get me out of a pretty long stall.
  • ali59oc
    ali59oc Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I tried Optimal Keto and could not lose weight at all. So I went back to 75% fat/ 20% protein/ 5% carb and it came right off. I am currently at between 60 and 80g of protein a day on maintenance.
  • deansdad101
    Options
    ali59oc wrote: »
    I tried Optimal Keto and could not lose weight at all. So I went back to 75% fat/ 20% protein/ 5% carb and it came right off. I am currently at between 60 and 80g of protein a day on maintenance.
    Ali & Cam;

Likewise.

Tried it early on but the more I learned about NK the less faith I had in their philosophy, recommendations, and (especially) - charts.

The chart "ranges" make no sense (for me), protein and carb levels way too high.

I admit to being a "dinosaur" when it comes to pretty much all things FB so perhaps it's just my biases showing but I can't really see anything either "optimal" or even "keto" about it.

A protein level of "you MUST eat" 128, is for me, WAY over the top. Combine that with the low end of the fat range (96), 32 carbs, and 1481 cals =
    9% carb (too high)
    34% protein (too high)
    57% fat (too low)

"MILDLY" ketogenic AT BEST and highly unlikely to even approach NK (if that is one's goal).

Yes, it's better than 50% carbs and yes, if it works for others that's great, but didn't for me. (either for weight loss OR NK)

Maybe it's just the "you MUST...." part <G>.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,513 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    b
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Deansdad: Yeah, I kinda wondered... Keto Clarity et al say too much protein will just end up as glucose, so you have to be careful. I still have trouble eating the higher protein total per day for me. I don't lift weights or anything much, so not building muscle. Will give it a few more weeks to see.
  • deansdad101
    edited November 2014
    Options
    camtosh wrote: »
    Deansdad: Yeah, I kinda wondered... Keto Clarity et al say too much protein will just end up as glucose, so you have to be careful. I still have trouble eating the higher protein total per day for me. I don't lift weights or anything much, so not building muscle. Will give it a few more weeks to see.
    Cam;

That protein levels above required levels will be converted via gluconeogenisis (and potentially inhibit ketone production) is settled science but it's not the only issue. Excess levels will also affect IGF-1 levels negatively (a known cancer and cardio disease trigger).

Recent research also raises questions as to the "muscle building" properties so frequently cited by those promoting the need for excessively high levels - especially for those actually in NK.

For years (and still to this day), "low carb" and "high protein" went hand in hand in the minds of many. Problem is, high protein means low(er) fat and as we know today, that's not a good recipe for success.

Problem is, once a concept becomes "common wisdom" (whether scientifically accurate or not), it's difficult to change the course of the ship, as has been shown over the last 40 years with the "low-fat" dogma.

I'll be interested to see how it works for you over the next few weeks (and I really DO hope it does work, but have my doubts) - please keep us posted.

• MikeEnRegalia
    MikeEnRegalia Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts on it guys?

Too much protein. If you're doing glycolytic work (anaerobic exercise), up the carbs a bit and eat them post exercise. They'll go directly towards replenishing glycogen stores and won't throw you out of ketosis, and they might be what your body is craving because of the exercise.