Fitbit adding calories eaten!

Options
mmerry5
mmerry5 Posts: 69 Member
So I've noticed 3 or 4 days recently (not in a row, just random days) that the Fitbit website has added calories eaten to my day. For instance on Nov 6 I logged 1900 calories in MFP, but the Fitbit site says I ate 2900! I do not log any food or exercise at Fitbit. I simply use their site for reports and such. I like getting the Fitbit weekly updates, but the last update was wrong by this 1000 extra calories it said I had eaten. The calorie burn numbers in MFP and Fitbit match up nearly perfectly, so I am getting the correct calorie adjustments for my movements, but why is Fitbit adding calories that I've EATEN? This has also happened this week. Two days this week Fitbit is saying I've eaten almost 400 extra calories. Anyone else ever see this? Any ideas why?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Check out their forums, others are reporting that too.
  • smilzjoay
    Options
    I've noticed it, too. When I go back into the days that are now "in the red" I notice that there is a duplicate lunch in there. I just delete it, and it's fine. Hopefully they will fix it soon :neutral_face:
  • crose0056
    crose0056 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    finding the same here...just delete the duplicate entry
  • TracyV125
    TracyV125 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I reported this on the Fitbit side. They suggested I disconnect both accounts and then reconnect them. It seemed to work for 1 day but it has continued to happen for me for over a week :(
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I am finding a lot of duplicate meals too. Today I had 4 duplicate meals - three for dinner. It seems if I plan out my log ahead, and then I go back and adjust quantities or items as the day goes on, instead of adjusting, it just adds a whole new meal. I went back through to Nov 3rd finding duplicates, so a lot of my weekly stats are off. Grrrrr.
  • TracyV125
    TracyV125 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I add my items for each meal right in a row without editing. It's been happening to me for over a week.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Glad not just me...last sync of the nite has me way more than I logged on MFP...
  • Flookbird
    Flookbird Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This has been driving me potty so glad it's not just me! I generally rely more on MFP for telling me I'm within my goal etc but hate seeing those red bars on the fitbit graph.

Do the duplicate lunches/dinners impact on the fitbit premium side of things has anyone noticed?
  • _caseyb
    _caseyb Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am having the exact same issue. What I have been figuring is that I make several changes to MFP throughout the day. Instead of realizing that I have deleted items, Fitbit just keeps adding them on.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue AND I also get duplicate meals, but sometimes the two things are unrelated (I get a awfully high calories-in count but when I check the meal summary dashboard the calorie count is fine). Veery annoying
  • vbvamsi
    vbvamsi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I reported this to fitbit and they asked me to contact MFP.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Oh no...I just got my Fitbit and this is the first thread I have read on it. Thinking of taking it back if it is this much trouble.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Swissmiss wrote: »
    Oh no...I just got my Fitbit and this is the first thread I have read on it. Thinking of taking it back if it is this much trouble.

Don't use the MFP app for food logging - problem solved.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I'm noticing the same thing.

I poked around in the MFP help forums and it looks like they have known about it since at least 12/1 and are working on it. It's a bit annoying, but it's easy enough to, for the time being, just go into Fitbit and delete the extra meals the next morning - that way you can log accurately in MFP and make sure you're hitting your goals, but your Fitbit stats will also be right. Hopefully it's very temporary and it won't be necessary for long.

It's normally not that much trouble. Probably in the 2.5 years I've had my Fitbit account linked to my MFP account, 98% of the time it works perfectly and then a few times per year for a few days the syncing gets wonky (this is the first time I've seen this problem, but occasionally it won't sync at all for a few days). Certainly not a big enough deal that it's not overall worth it.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    _caseyb wrote: »
    I am having the exact same issue. What I have been figuring is that I make several changes to MFP throughout the day. Instead of realizing that I have deleted items, Fitbit just keeps adding them on.

Yes!! It has been doing that to me too. Weirdly, it also is _not_ adding some changes as well, so even if I delete the duplicates the numbers are still wrong due to missing data.

• jltwap
    Options
    I just received my Fitbit yesterday and I also felt like returning it. Can't seem to delete the duplicate meal in Fitbit. I have a question however. If I log through MFP it shows up on Fitbit. If I log on Fitbit it is not showing up on my MFP. Since I have been using MFP for so long it recognizes all my foods but sometimes easier to use the fitbit. Anyone else have that problem?
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    jltwap wrote: »
    I just received my Fitbit yesterday and I also felt like returning it. Can't seem to delete the duplicate meal in Fitbit. I have a question however. If I log through MFP it shows up on Fitbit. If I log on Fitbit it is not showing up on my MFP. Since I have been using MFP for so long it recognizes all my foods but sometimes easier to use the fitbit. Anyone else have that problem?

Foods are not supposed to sync from Fitbit to MFP. It's not designed that way. The only way to log foods eaten and have them appear in both accounts is to log them in MFP while you have your accounts linked.

To delete foods in Fitbit, go to the "log" section of your account, and then go to "food." Scroll down to the "logged foods" section and find the meal you want to delete. Hover over that line and you'll see an "X" over to the left. Click on that X to delete the meal. If that's not working, then you need to reach out to Fitbit support, because that would mean something is wrong with your account.

For what it's worth, I've stopped getting duplicate meals, so it seems it's fixed, at least for me.
  • kailibertsch
    kailibertsch Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've had that happen too. It duplicates some of my entries. Makes my heart stop for a minute sometimes. I just delete the duplication.
  • jltwap
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    jltwap wrote: »

Foods are not supposed to sync from Fitbit to MFP. It's not designed that way. The only way to log foods eaten and have them appear in both accounts is to log them in MFP while you have your accounts linked.

To delete foods in Fitbit, go to the "log" section of your account, and then go to "food." Scroll down to the "logged foods" section and find the meal you want to delete. Hover over that line and you'll see an "X" over to the left. Click on that X to delete the meal. If that's not working, then you need to reach out to Fitbit support, because that would mean something is wrong with your account.

For what it's worth, I've stopped getting duplicate meals, so it seems it's fixed, at least for me.

Thanks BarbieAS. The delete does not seem to work as others have mention but thank you for the info on logging through MFP. I will do that. :)