Lean & Green

Options
jennilsf
jennilsf Posts: 57 Member
edited November 2014 in Social Groups
Does anyone have some favorite lean & green meals from the 5 & 1 plan to share? I'm brand new to this, and would LOVE to hear what you guys are doing for those! So far, my l&g meals have mostly been lots of romaine and either grilled chicken or salmon. I've made spaghetti squash with lean ground turkey & no-sugar-added tomato sauce, and egg whites with broccoli and asparagus on the side. I think I really need ideas for ways to get in the vegetables... and more variety. I've been kind of rigid because I'm afraid to mess that part up, and a lot of recipes I've found on various websites have lots of added condiments and such that I'm still unsure of. So I just don't know yet what we can and can't have in one meal. Ideas? Recipes?

Replies

• crysreed1
    Options
    I use spaghetti squash A LOT! I roast it for about 50 min @ 350 then shred it up. I usually sautee 6oz squash with 2.67oz pre-roasted broccoli, 6 oz grilled chicken breast and 1/8c Classico Light Alfredo Sauce. It's absolutely delicious. Sometimes I will also spice it up a little and add Crushed Red Pepper Flakes and 1 sliced jalepeno (it's so low in everything I count it as a condiment)
  • jennilsf
    jennilsf Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it with the alfredo sauce yet- just tomato or a pesto. The pepper added for spice sounds awesome! Thanks!!!
  • pnash4508
    pnash4508 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have tried 2 of the L&G recipes from sandyskitchen.com and was very impressed. I am going to try the Crockpot Buffalo Chicken tomorrow. Can't wait!
  • wickednitsch
    wickednitsch Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I made spaghetti squash last night with garlic, shrimp, kale and diced tomatoes. It was SO good.
  • 419er
    419er Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I hate spending time making food, and I don't really crave variety that much. So here's what I do: I buy the pre-shredded iceburg at the store. I either put 3 cups of that, or 2 cups of that and a half cup of mushrooms or peppers or something, on a plate. I measure out my protein - throw it in a non-stick pan with soy sauce and hot sauce, and heat it all up. Plop it on the greens with some low-fat Caesar dressing and call it good.

I know - not that interesting - but I'm not planning on being restricted by the L&G rules for the rest of my life, just the next month or so. Therefore, I've chosen that I will have fun cooking interesting ingredients during the years I'm *not* in fat-burn, rather than the weeks I am.
  • litelight
    Options
    Taco salad with ground turkey (get more meat that way).
  • PuggleDoodle
    PuggleDoodle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Last night was steamed shrimp & broccoli...I'm picking up spaghetti squash tonight, and topping with meatballs & spaghetti sauce. I'll have to try the Alfredo sauce mentioned above. Today is day 7 for me, I've been keeping it simple until I get going.

• alhannah17
    alhannah17 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love cumin, S&P, a squeeze of lemon on grilled tuna served with a giant yummy salad!

When I'm craving pizza and feel too lazy to make cauliflower crust, I put a small amount of low carb spaghetti sauce on a plate, top with LF mozzarella, and chopped up turkey pepperoni with a bit of italian seasoning and nuke it. Totally hits the spot and I can usually stretch the lean into two plates! (I usually try to avoid cheese and it's a little higher in sodium than I typically like, but as an occasional treat I dig it.)
  • Iluvmyfurbabies
    Iluvmyfurbabies Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I haven't started yet but I love making noodles with zucchini and squash. Of course I love to rice and mash my Cauliflower and spaghetti squash is also really good. I feel like you can eat all these things with some sort of lean. This time around I'm going to focus on some crock pot meals so I don/t have to cook when I get home. I hope I can do this. The last time didn't go so well.
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I love making a taco salad with 98% fat free ground turkey, lettuce, tomatoes, low fat cheddar, mushrooms and salsa. Its a HUGE meal.