max and ermas

Options
LoraKay131
LoraKay131 Posts: 58 Member
so, yesterday i ate dinner at title restaurant. i believed that i couldnt go wrong with grilled asparagus and steak. wrong. many carbs. many many carbs. so i ask the following questions, for your advice and experience.

is 58 net carbs enough to throw me out of ketosis?
do i have to go through the flu again?
what in the heck are they doing to that poor asparagus?
i still lost almost half pound, is that a good sign?
i havent noticed a change in hunger this morning, but last night i was a bear. does this mean its passed?

so thanks in advance for any time spent pondering and communicating. i dont want to obsess, as i was still slightly below maintenance cals and lost .3 lbs.

Replies

• sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I think you ate a whole lot of asparagus or the carbs are in some kind of sauce on it or on the steak.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Eating out is one of the hardest things on this (or really any) diet...we just don't know what they are putting in our food!! For me, yes 58 carbs solidly kicks me out of ketosis...and yes, for me, I suffer the flu every time working my way back in. Yucky...but not a big deal over all. You just get yourself back on track. I don't think any weight loss program is consistent with loss. You didn't gain any of it over night (or in a week), so we can't expect to loss it that way. Just keep at it, be conscious of the affects and possible consequences and congrats on your .3lbs lost!!
  • LoraKay131
    Options
    i appreciate, very much, the support and encouragement. :) i will just ignore any symptoms, and pretend they arent there. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Why so many carbs?
  • LoraKay131
    Options
    Sabine, i havent a clue...it was grilled asparagus and steak. it did taste a bit lemony, yet there was no sauce on it, it looked like any plain grilled asparagus. i tried to look up what they do to it, and i did not find anything. im still a bit baffled.
  • alterone1982
    alterone1982 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Did you get the carbs from their website? Maybe the meal shown included a different side?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Did you get the carbs from their website? Maybe the meal shown included a different side?

Good point. Or with a bread side too.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    But then.... https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/max-and-ermas/grilled-asparagus

the asparagus is said to have 18

was the 58 carbs for the whole day or the meal?
  • LoraKay131
    Options
    i checked the website and it correlated with mfp. 46 carbs for two servings of asparagus. ive eaten asparagus plenty of times, and this was a bit...shocking. no, no bread. i was understandably horrified. my jaw literally dropped. i dont know how they prepare it. they have the asparagus as a separate side. i only ate sirloin and asparagus. any way i want to look at it and rail at the injustice. it happened. and i am now armed with the knowledge that even a simple meat and vegetable dish is not to be trusted anywhere but home. :)

http://www.maxandermas.com/files/maxandermas_nutrition.pdf
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    But then.... https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/max-and-ermas/grilled-asparagus

the asparagus is said to have 18

<snip>
    SS/LK;

"Member" submitted = highly questionable - I'd trust company data first.

That said SOMETHING is bumping those carbs/cals BIG time.

540 cals & 46 carbs (2x portion) when 99 Rest shows 60 & 8 (2 servings), Outback 104 & 6

USDA figures (no asterik) show 4 medium (5-7") spears =
    13 cals/2 carbs

100g = 20/4 (so 100g = ~6 spears, raw, no oil/butter/etc)

Add a tablespoon or two of butter or EVOO and you'll get up to the cal number but not the carbs.

Almost all of the restaurant sites list the quantity as "1 serving" (totally subjective and impossible to quantify) - 4 med spears, 6, 8???

With the chains, it's more likely that "1 serving" in LA is the same number as in NY but, even then a heavy handed chef might decide that 4 looks wimpy and throw a couple extra in increasing the numbers by 50%.

All of which says, ANYBODY who believes that their tracking numbers are "exact" (or even "close" in many cases) is living in a dream world.

Yes, you have a much better chance of getting it "right" when cooking at home than eating out, but even there the "member submitted" entries on an ingredient you've never used before, can be (and frequently are), so far off as to render your totals worthless.

How many times have you (ALL of us) just grabbed the first entry we find when searching the DB and said "screw it, in a hurry, good enough?"

Back to the original issue with Max's though -
    the datasheet from their website says "check with manager if you have any questions" -

Good luck with that.
    I would (just for laughs) but we don't have them around here (at least I've never seen one), but I'd bet my lunch money on what the response would be.

If I were you (LK) - I'd shoot off an email (cc'ing as many in Max's as you can find) and ask them to provide the breakdown for carbs and what, exactly, is "1 serving".

It's not that they are being intentionally deceptive, I don't think they are and if they were it would most certainly be on the "under" side, not the "over".

But the carbs are coming from somewhere and it sure would be nice to know where.

What's the point of providing nutritional information if it's impossible to verify that it's correct (or to ask to omit that part which is a problem)?

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    LoraKay131 wrote: »
    i checked the website and it correlated with mfp. 46 carbs for two servings of asparagus. ive eaten asparagus plenty of times, and this was a bit...shocking. no, no bread. i was understandably horrified. my jaw literally dropped. i dont know how they prepare it. they have the asparagus as a separate side. i only ate sirloin and asparagus. any way i want to look at it and rail at the injustice. it happened. and i am now armed with the knowledge that even a simple meat and vegetable dish is not to be trusted anywhere but home. :)

http://www.maxandermas.com/files/maxandermas_nutrition.pdf
    Yeah, I looked there as well. Weird.

But, it was one meal, and it was a high fiber vegetable.
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    This is why I almost never eat out anymore..
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    kkimpel wrote: »

That would be hard for me. We are very active and eat out a lot.
  • LoraKay131
    Options
    ikr...^^ thank you all for your advice and support. im just going to eat eggs from now on hahahaha!! :) and it WAS one meal, it does suck that im still recuperating from it, however. im just going to keep on ketoing on. i love having the community on my side, it really does help to have some solidarity, after a lifetime of being a reclusive eater. :)
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options

It's getting better, but portions are so huge and I do take half to go, but it is always so hard to figure how much butter.. how much oil .. all those things. I have been out to eat quite a few times now, but I feel a bit out of control when I go to log items.

• JennyToy
    JennyToy Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    We go out to eat alot too. my Husband works really long hours and when he wants to have an easy enjoyable night i am not going to argue with him if that is what makes him happy. it really helps me to go online and see the nutrition info first. I go down the carbs column until i find a few low things and then ponder what i want. If he springs it on me, i will just tell him i don't want to be rude but i want to check the nutrition before i order, and i will look it up right there on my phone. Even if the restaurant doesn't have info i can find online, i find a similar restaurant and use theirs, and then enjoy my meal. Fajitas are available at almost any restaurant-yes peppers and onions are a little high on carbs so pick out the meat, eat a few of the peppers and onions, and the sour cream & cheese that come with the little tray, and that will usually do it! :smile:
  • LoraKay131
    Options
    can this one meal have caused this ravenous hunger ive experienced this past three days? hm.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

It's getting better, but portions are so huge and I do take half to go, but it is always so hard to figure how much butter.. how much oil .. all those things. I have been out to eat quite a few times now, but I feel a bit out of control when I go to log items.
    Yup, I just aim for grilled steak salads, caesars with salmon or shrimp, or grilled meats and grilled veg. It's the best I can do.
    And wine, of course.
  • sickandfat
    sickandfat Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Maybe added sugar? I have found out that a lot of restaurants add sugar to vegetables. I try to use my taste buds. If it has a sweet taste. I will ask if sugar is added. I have run into this issue before. I have ordered green beans that taste like candy. As far as the listing of calories, carbs etc. how do we really know if it is right or not? Also it is sometimes, who is cooking the food? I do eat out but I try to go to just a few places that I think I can half way trust. Small homecook restaurants where I can ask the owner, are there any added sugars or not. Even then we are really never really sure? So if I order a vegetable and it taste sweet, I don't eat it and will ask for a basic salad instead. In todays world it is very hard not to ever eat out once in a while. Sugar is added to food more than we know. Trust your taste buds. If it taste sweet then you will know to be aware.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I remember this!!
    I really wish I could get into this account, see how much I weighed back then....I think I'm pretty close now!