Weight loss - 1 week

Options
VastBreak
VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
Would like to know from my fellow hypothyroid/hashimotos friends, how much weight you have lost before in a one week period?

What did you eat?
Did you eliminate any foods?
Exercise/No exercise?

Not looking for a crash diet or anything crazy. Just curious when you've been most successful, and how you did it!

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I have an example of a way that I lost about 50 lbs. in a weekend (60% water, the rest fat), but you can only do it if you have type 1 diabetes and for those able to do it, it is incredibly dangerous (I am lucky to be alive). So I won't explain how because it isn't safe.

As far as safely, I had lowered calories a couple months ago to an even larger deficit, and within a week, I started to gain weight. I thought at first it might be water weight, but I continued to gain weight fast. After a few weeks, and 6 lbs. of gain later, I read that eating less than BMR will cause weight gain. I checked and found that I was eating about 100-200 calories below BMR. So I raised my calories again to a smaller deficit (but above BMR) and within a week, I lost not only the 6 lbs. that I had gained, but an additional lb. also. Then I was back to losing very slowly and eating at a smaller deficit.

I don't know how to translate that experience into a 1 week weight loss without also having a gain in the preceeding weeks, but maybe there is some way you can find that to be useful.
  • RedBec7
    RedBec7 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    In March my dosage of Armour Thyroid was raised to 90 mg. I started to feel like a normal person for the first time in a few years. By eating at a deficit without exercise, I was able to lose about 1 to 1 1/2 lbs per week for about 5 or 6 weeks before I started to not feel so great. Then the weight loss just stopped even though I was doing the same things. Something was going on with my thyroid. After another 5 weeks or so of not feeling great and not losing, I started to feel good again and for another 5 or 6 weeks I was losing weight. Then things took another downward turn for several weeks - no weight loss.
    I started exercising but things got really, really bad. I felt awful and then started gaining. I stopped exercising and feel better but not great now. I think I'm losing weight again but don't want to step on the scale yet.

So I lost about 18 lbs during those good weeks eating between 1300 and 1400 calories a day and not exercising. I'm still trying to figure out how to keep those good times going.
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I became hypo, then got my meds at the (relatively) correct dose, and THEN restarted on my diet. That first week I lost 12lbs. I ate at my normal IIFYM, just stayed within my calorie limits, I didn't limit any particular foods, and was running 3 times a week. (about 3k, i'm working up to a 5k)

Actually the more I think on it now, I think it was mostly 'water-waste' weight, I couldn't go to the bathroom when I was hypo. Now, I'm anywhere between 1-3lbs a week.
  • VastBreak
    Options
    RedBec-When you figure out how to keep the good times rolling please share!!! I'm slightly similar that I'll get about 3 days and I feel fantastic! Not sure what has changed, maybe all the vitamins kick in? Think I have absorbtion issues and every once in awhile things absorb correctly?
  • VastBreak
    Options
    That is encouraging Twinkles! I don't think I'm at the correct dose yet. When I get an increase in meds I feel like I needed it for awhile and I only notice difference for a few days and then I'm right back where I started at feeling lousy!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the gradual dose increases too. I've had one so far, looking forward to another following a blood test on Monday. I think in the hours for some and days for others immediately following an increased dose our systems rejoice in the increase and work well, doing repairs or what ever, then as the systems get used to the new levels they then fall back to a slightly better normal again till the day when we are permitted a high enough dose that things are more normal.

I think we all hope for the practitioner who will let us have increased doses till we feel really well. I know mine fears making me hyper but I don't want to be held lower than is what my body needs, I know it is a fine line.
  • RedBec7
    Options
    My new doctor (as of September) said that she would let me change my dosage as she feels I am knowledgeable enough in recognizing how I feel. But at the time she thought I was hyper because she only looks at TSH and since I was feeling a bit hyper at that time we discussed lowering my dose a bit. But my TSH remains low and I definitely went hypo before and after that so I raised my dose a little to 105 as I had some left over 15 mg pills.

Anyway, I think raising it was a good thing. I feel better, though not great, and when I get the results of my latest blood test (taken last Thursday) I might raise it another 15 mg. I'm ignoring my TSH as that and my free T3 and free T4 have all been low which doesn't even make sense.

I was hoping to discuss my game plan with the doc on Thursday but all she did was take blood and she was gone in a flash. She didn't even ask me how I was feeling. I'm over being disappointed with doctors at this point so I'll just do what I need to do and hope she will write me new prescriptions when my current ones run out.
  • VastBreak
    Options
    I went in for my appointment this week. My TSH is improving but I have been feeling awful. My T3 was also pretty low so she doesn't not think I am converting very well. My antibodies are also rising which may explain why I have been so fatigued and functioning in a daze. I'm trying something new, adding In LDN which is beneficial with the antibodies. She also mentioned possibly adding cytomel for additional T3. I'm currently on Armour, has anyone else combined these two? Any experience with LDN?
  • RedBec7
    Options
    I don't have any experience with LDN but would love to know how it works out for you. My latest blood test showed high antibodies, very low TSH, high normal free T3 and mid normal free T4. I don't know what is up with my TSH but it's been at almost 0 for several months. Anyone else experience low TSH and normal free T3 and T4?

I'm currently on Armour at 105 mg. I feel ok, maybe a little anxious but very depressed. Although the depression could be seasonal or holiday related - who knows anymore. I'm getting another blood test in 8 weeks.
  • veronakings
    Options
    I've been super curious about armour thyroid, but a little apprehensive after taking levoxyl for nearly 20 years. Have you had much success? Have you taken synthroid before? My older sister started taking armour thyroid and has seen almost immediate improvement, but she is just slightly hypo and has only been diagnosed as hypo for under a year.
  • RedBec7
    Options
    When I was first diagnosed about 3 1/2 years ago I was put on Synthroid by my first endocrinologist. I was on it for two months with no improvement in how I felt at all. The endo said that my levels were fine (she only cared about TSH) so she wouldn't do anything else and I should got back to my regular doctor because "something else" must be wrong with me.
    Anyway, I found another doctor (not an endo) who seemed to understand the importance of T3 and he put me on Armour Thyroid. I started to feel better almost right away. I have Hashimoto's though so I've been up and down since then.
    One of the problems has been the doctor reacting to fluctuations of symptoms and labs by reducing the amount I'm taking instead of riding them out. Fluctuations happen with Hashi's and reducing meds doesn't seem to be the answer.
  • imagination_fragments
    Options
    Since my new doctor put me on 125 of synthyroid (which she said was better than my previous dosage which was actually too high) I've actually lost about 5ish pounds. Not 100% sure its actual weight or water weight but its more encouraging than previous dosages.

Haven't really been exercising due to being busy with the whole holiday stress. Been trying to make better food choices and for the most part I think I've been successful. Still been eating between 1700 and 2000 calories, even though I know I've been bad on my husband's birthday cupcake, a wedding reception and a day of candy making.

She's also an endocrinologist rather than my regular doctor. She's also the first doctor who didn't immediately get on my case about my weight and seemed genuinely confused as to why I was so preoccupied with my weight.
  • veronakings
    Options
    i have been on synthroid for 20 years and I hate it. I feel awful and don't think it's working as I have all the symptoms of hypo. my sis started talking about t3 with me and has been trying armour thyroid, and i'm super interested in trying it out. she has hashimoto's disease. I had graves' disease as a child and now am hypo after being treated for the graves'. i'm heard that docs don't really like prescribing it, did your doc even suggest synthroid?
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    RedBec7 wrote: »
    In March my dosage of Armour Thyroid was raised to 90 mg. I started to feel like a normal person for the first time in a few years. By eating at a deficit without exercise, I was able to lose about 1 to 1 1/2 lbs per week for about 5 or 6 weeks before I started to not feel so great. Then the weight loss just stopped even though I was doing the same things. Something was going on with my thyroid.

I had something like this in May. I started to take my meds about 2 hrs before my breakfast ( as opposed to 1/2 hr before ) and went off the pill. Within 4 weeks I lost 3.5 kg ( without changing my dietary or exercise habits and it was not water ( I have a body composition scale ) ). Then it stopped as suddenly as it started and I have been jojo-ing between 64 and 65 kg ever since. My doctor thinks it was a temporary "flutter" in the slow destruction of my thyroid by Hashi.

• RedBec7
    Options
    @allergictodiets - That's interesting. So was your period of weight loss the "temporary flutter" your doctor was talking about or is the not feeling so good part the flutter? I know my periods of feeling good have been few and far between but I'd like to think that they are the "normal" that I'm trying to achieve and sustain.
    This year I went through two cycles of what I described above - feeling normal and losing weight for weeks, then not feeling great and no weight loss for weeks, then back to feeling good and losing, then back to not feeling great, then to really hypo after beginning to exercise for a few weeks, then really hyper when I stopped exercising. Its been a roller coaster that I can't control. I raised my dosage by 15 mg and now I feel better and I think I'm losing weight again but not feeling as good as I was earlier this year.
  • allergictodiets
    Options
    @RedBec7 I think that in May my thyroid was working as it would if I were a healthy person. I always maintain a 500 kcal deficit, only in May I was actually loosing weight and now I am not. What I have learnt over the last couple of years is that my TSH level does not directly correspond to how good or bad I feel. I had a dreadful winter last year - gaining, brain fog, extreme tiredness but my TSH was 1.5 ( so I got the "you should be fine" speech from my endo ). Now I feel better mentally and have more energy so I was sure the TSH level was lower - but no, it was 1.7 last time we checked. My ferritine level went up from 32 to 55 though - maybe it is what is giving me a boost.
  • RedBec7
    Options
    @allergic - I so wish I could find the answer to keeping things working right. I hate not having control over this. My TSH has been very low recently (close to zero) even though my Free t3 and free t4 have been in the normal range. I'm ignoring my tsh for now and trying to get my thyroid hormones into the high end of normal.

I've read that symptoms can be worse during winter, possibly requiring a higher dosage. Have you found this to be true? I was in bad shape last winter but my dosage had been lowered in the previous July which was a mistake. So by winter it was way too low.
  • imagination_fragments
    Options
    i have been on synthroid for 20 years and I hate it. I feel awful and don't think it's working as I have all the symptoms of hypo. my sis started talking about t3 with me and has been trying armour thyroid, and i'm super interested in trying it out. she has hashimoto's disease. I had graves' disease as a child and now am hypo after being treated for the graves'. i'm heard that docs don't really like prescribing it, did your doc even suggest synthroid?

I've been on synthroid since I was about 15ish. The main reason my doctor put me on it was that I didn't react well to the generic version. My father has similar issues with the generic and so we both take synthroid. He had hyperthyroid back in the day and they killed it with radiation because they couldn't control it and my body decided it hated itself and starting attacking my thyroid after a really vicious illness. My thyroid still functions (sort of) but its on a slow decline from what I understand.
  • allergictodiets
    edited December 2014
    Options
    RedBec7 wrote: »
    I've read that symptoms can be worse during winter, possibly requiring a higher dosage. Have you found this to be true? I was in bad shape last winter but my dosage had been lowered in the previous July which was a mistake. So by winter it was way too low.

I have read about it as well but I have not experienced such a strong correlation myself - I mean I feel like my Hashi can strike anytime :-((( True, my last winter was dreadful but so was early summer the year before. On the other hand my winter pregnancy was fantastic. So you never know...

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    A healthy, sustainable weight loss is .5 lb. per week for each 25 lbs. you need to lose. Your first week, you'll lose a lot of water—but you'll gain that all back when you stop eating at a deficit.

Weight loss is not linear. Some weeks you'll do everything right & maintain—or even gain. Others you'll lose a whole lot in a "whoosh." So be patient!