Maintaining strength/fitness while traveling?

Options
lilawolf
lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
I do StrongLifts 5x5 and Krav Maga. I have a 3 week trip in January, 1 week in Bali, Indonesia and 2 weeks in Chongquing, China. The hotels might have gyms, but from my experience they will be terrible, and I doubt I'll be able to get passes to any local gyms without speaking the language. I also don't want to run outside because the air pollution is terrible. I travel 3-4 times a year, usually working 60-80 hour weeks (Bali is a vacation) for 2ish weeks.

What is the best way to maintain my strength and fitness while I'm gone? I was considering fitnessblender videos and perhaps the You Are Your Own Gym app. I need something quick and without any equipment that I can do in my hotel room after a 12-14 hour work day. Will Burpees, pushups, lunges, chair dips, etc to failure be able to keep up my strength? All of my major lifts are in the intermediate category (www.strstd.com) How many times a week? When I do nothing, I end up having to drop my working weights quite a bit which sucks since it happens fairly often. Thanks :)

P.s. Also posted in the main forum here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10024082/maintaining-strength-fitness-while-traveling#latest

Replies

• stevesilk
    stevesilk Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Just a possible recommendation that I do when away from the gym. Hindu (bodyweight) squats (in my case I do 20 minutes, which really is tough for me), and dive bomber pushups. If you add other things in like burpees, you probably want to cut down on the bodyweight squats. But 30-40 hard minutes of working out with bodyweight exercises will definitely have you breathing hard and excited about returning home to hit the weights.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the delay in responding.

I would also look into Convict Conditioning - its a progressive body weight program