Annual blood work - still exceptional after 3 years

Options
MikeFlyMike
MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
I eat a sick amount of butter, eggs, red meat and bacon...

3 years paleo/primal. Just completed my annual physical. Doc loved my blood work and called it perfect. Said I was the healthiest person in there and just keep doing what I'm doing. I asked if my daily bulletproof coffee might be going overboard. He said, "No, keep doing that". He was quite impressed with my Vitamin D level of 85 even though the "computer" says it is too high. BTW, my TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) dropped in half (it was good before) and my Testosterone went up 60 points in the last year (and it was fine before).
I did do a NMR subfraction lipid profile this time for fun. My small dense LDL was super low regardless of my total LDL (SURPRISE) :)

And this flyer was in his office ;)
grubir4z8z72.jpg

Replies

• MikeFlyMike
    Options
    I just turned 50. And I'm taking that question as a compliment.
  • lujo321
    lujo321 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Heck I want to know where this doctor is.
  • ElisaMicciulli
    ElisaMicciulli Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    WOW! that's so great to hear, because all the foods you mention eating are all the foods we are told to stary away from. I have been eating Paleo for almost six weeks and I have been eating a lot of bacon and eggs. I have had my blood work done prior to starting Paleo and my LDL was 220 (which I am told by doctors is high). Hopefully I won't run into an issue...
  • MikeFlyMike
    Options
    My Doc is Dr Ted Naiman, MD. Out of Issaquah (Seattle), Wa. Found him on Primal Docs and he is one of very few MD's in WA on there and happens to be covered by my insurance. He is funny in that I always want lots of tests (that all show I'm awesome), and he says, "look, if your results came out poor, I'd be telling you to start eating paleo - so since you are, you don't need anything so long as you keep up the lifestyle. It is my non-paleo clients that have all the problems and my paleo ones that are putting me out of business".

He was recently on Jimmy Moores podcast which I thought was hilarious when my feed showed my Doc as the episode.
    http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes/10959/872-dr-ted-naiman-shares-his-two-ingredient-secret-to-optimum-health/

He on his own build a great resource website and also has an ipad app with the same info.
    http://www.burnfatnotsugar.com/
  • MikeFlyMike
    Options
    famu5ive - If you have been "compliant" you should do quite well - and your HDLs should shoot up, and trigs drop nicely. If you were a sugar burner and carbaholic along with eating crap oils, that would easily explain the high LDL. I bet 1-2 months will blow your doc away with the number change. For non insurance covered blood tests, I like wellnessfx.com - their basic lipid panel is cheap. If your LDL remains higher than acceptable after being paleo for a bit, I would ask for a NMR or subfraction LDL test before I would ever agree to statins.
    - I would also recommend reading cholesterol clarity by Jimmy Moore for a good understanding of what is going on.
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Good stuff Mike, I have Jimmy's book in my queue and I am having similar results after nearly a year, but it is always good to hear from people doing this a lot longer than I have.
  • ElisaMicciulli
    ElisaMicciulli Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks Mike. Luckily I have insurance, so I don't pay too much for blood work. I work at a great company where they did this healthy lifestyle screening and once completed, sent me a $250. gift card. :-) I went back to my blood test to recheck my numbers. My LDL was actually 139 (the recommendation is >130) and my triglycerides were 111 (normal) and my HDL was 69 (normal). My BMI is overweight at 25.51 (the reason I started to see a dietician, who recommended I eat Paleo). My main goal is to be healthy, but ultimately to lose weight to get to a normal BMI. Diabetes runs in my family, and with the exception of this last blood test, since I gained this 30 pounds, my blood sugar showed pre-diabetic. That makes me very nervous. I never had issues when I was thin. Since this weight gain, my numbers took a negative path.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Fabulous. Well done!!!
  • scvb13
    scvb13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Way to go Mike! I am an ICU nurse and it makes me smile when I see good labs! :)