Why do older people get cold easily?

Options
Cold weather never seemed to bother me until recently. Now I sometimes wear a sweatshirt in my house - a few years ago wearing a sweatshirt indoors would have made me uncomfortably warm. My mom and her friends were always cold in spring/fall when I was happy to wear shorts, but now I seem to be a cold person and I don't like it.

For the record, I'm 46 years old and obese - I'm not a tiny slip of a thing. No thyroid problems. Just...getting older.

My question is, why is this happening? Is it because of muscle loss? (I started strength training in April but could work harder on that.) Or is there more to it - hormones? Why do so many older women seem to get cold easily? Anyone know?

Replies

• kareneastwood865
    kareneastwood865 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hello new friend! Thanks for adding me. I would love to know the answer to this question. I am boiling in my workouts but the second I get outside I can feel even the slightest breeze from three towns over.
  • consideritdonemi
    consideritdonemi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    The cure for that is Florida. Just check out the median age of the general population of Sun City. Coincidence? I think not.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm not comfortable with people in their 40's calling themselves "older".

Not sure if I get colder now than I used to, but I have noticed that I really like summer weather a lot more now than I used to compared to winter.
  • slralbert2015
    slralbert2015 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i was curious about this too, I get bouts of where I just feel cold inside. found there are many things that could cause this ( anemia, thyroid, low sugar etc) but one that stood out for me was low B complex - I had been taking a B complex and stopped. think i'll try that again and see if does anything.