What food program or strategy are you following?

Options
Iamslimandfit
Iamslimandfit Posts: 212 Member
edited November 2014 in Social Groups
I finally had an appointment with an endocrinologist, who determined that I am INSULIN RESISTANT. It causes my body to hold onto weight, which causes weight gain, which makes me even more insulin resistant, etc. It is a snowball effect. She said we need to STOP the snowball and push it back up the hill. She is currently reviewing my labs and will get back to me with a plan of attack. For now, I am supposed to follow these guidelines:

Under 120 grams of carbohydrates per day
Above 60-80 grams of protein per day
Above 60 ounces of water per day

I am also HYPOTHYROID and she wants to get my thyroid functioning at an OPTIMAL (and not just "normal") level, which I was hoping she would do. I currently take 50 mcg of Synthroid daily. She might increase that dose and also add a T3 medicine. Then, if I still have trouble losing weight once my thyroid is functioning at an optimal level, she might add METFORMIN to jumpstart the weight loss process. I have been extremely weight loss resistant for about 4 years now. It is a big relief to finally know why and to have found a doctor who is committed to helping me push through it!

Replies

• Iamslimandfit
    Options
    BTW, I want/need to lose about 75 pounds to get to a healthy BMI once again! It has been WAAAAAY too long since I've been thin and healthy!
  • Iamslimandfit
    Options
    My endocrinologist kept my Synthroid dose the same and added a T3 medicine (Cytomel). She also started me on Metformin to address the Insulin Resistance. I need to wean onto the Metformin very slowly to avoid GI upset. So far, so good, but I need to reign in my eating after this Thanksgiving holiday with family. Tomorrow is a new day to BEGIN AGAIN and make positive changes in my weight loss journey!