Injured, now what???

Options
dawnemjh
dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
Looking for any advice as to what I can do!! I have a right knee injury, "runners knee" that ironically I injured not running, which I can still do, but doing squats! So pretty much any lower body exercises are out, other than I can do stiff-legged dead lifts without pain.
Squats/lunges bother my knee so those are out.

Any thoughts as to what strength training I can do to prevent any muscle I have from going away?? I have always preferred doing compound moves and was following stronglifts when I injured my knee. I hate the idea of doing upper body work without lower body, but I cant think of what else I can do???

Any help appreciated!

Replies

• scooterjay_wwis
    scooterjay_wwis Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    StrongLifts is the program I use.
    When I was injured, (lower back) I lowered the weight on the bar. maybe you could just use empty bar or do squats without a bar.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Just rest it until it gets better if you have pain with lower-body exercises. Not resting it will lead to slower recovery and/or further injury which will have you out of the gym for exponentially longer.

Muscle memory is a real thing, once you recover you will be back to your former strength in no time.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!! I tried just using the bar, but even bodyweight squats hurts so looks like I am taking a break...
  • stevesilk
    stevesilk Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    With joint related injuries, I would also recommended getting checked by a professional. It could be something that (just) requires rest, or it could be your body communicating another issue. I would definitely recommend getting checked if possible.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Seek the advice and assistance of a good PT. Ask other runners locally who they've used and who they recommend. You may also want to read Anatomy for Runners, by Jay Dicharry. I waited too long to rehab a hip issue and now I have been swimming, biking, and doing ellip to keep the 'pounding' off my hip socket. Progress has been slow but I can finally walk without a limp. Last, runner's knee is sometimes associated with IT issues. Foam rolling The IT band and glute) is uncomfortable but can save your knees. Peace.
  • scooterjay_wwis
    scooterjay_wwis Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    dawnemjh wrote: »
    Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!! I tried just using the bar, but even bodyweight squats hurts so looks like I am taking a break...

good luck. Hope the break brings you back stronger than ever. :)