Just diagnosed...

Replies

• Alsison
    Alsison Posts: 597 Member
    July 12th, 2014

I made it to hot yoga this morning!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay me!!!!!!

Now I am off to the annual Wiener Dog Races at the local horse race track.. Feeling pretty good about myself today :smile: :smile:
  • July 12th, 2014

I made it to hot yoga this morning!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay me!!!!!!

Now I am off to the annual Wiener Dog Races at the local horse race track.. Feeling pretty good about myself today :smile: :smile:

This made my eyes tear up a little. I am so happy for you =)
  • Alsison
    July 23rd, 2014

Treatments have been over for a week now.. Still no surgery date.

I am off work so I am spending my mornings at yoga and my afternoons at the gym... Operation get as healthy as possible before surgery is in full effect!!!

Cheers,
    Alison
  • So very proud of you!!! Keep us posted on the surgery, k? :flowerforyou:
  • missyjg99
    missyjg99 Posts: 246 Member
    July 23rd, 2014

Treatments have been over for a week now.. Still no surgery date.

I am off work so I am spending my mornings at yoga and my afternoons at the gym... Operation get as healthy as possible before surgery is in full effect!!!

Cheers,
    Alison
    Yay! So proud of you. I've been watching your updates. Glad you're feeling better.
  • stillhere1981
    stillhere1981 Posts: 119 Member
    Are you taking Xeloda? That's what I take and I am lucky so far that I haven't had many problems with the hand and foot syndrome. The Udderly Smooth and slippers are a good idea. I use them too. I almost never walk barefoot. A few times my feet have gotten really hot and it felt like a lot of friction, but they haven't really peeled much or blistered. Some other things that have helped me are acupuncture (I really swear by it and I was NOT a believer at first), some sort of "heat clearing" herbs that my acupuncturist has given me to soak my hands and feet in (chemo is apparently what they consider to be toxic heat), 100mg of vitamin B6 per day and a henna treatment for my feet (I alternate it with the herbs.) Avoid flip flops because for some reason they cause a lot of friction, which is bad. I have gotten pedicures to keep my calluses down so they don't get hard and painful (just make sure they don't make the water too hot - it hurts!) I have even used ice packs on my feet when they get hot and that makes them feel better. I also use some foam lined gloves when I wash the dishes.

Here's a recipe for the henna treatment. I skip the lemon juice though. It really takes the heat away.

http://xelodasideeffects.blogspot.com/

Look into the acupuncture. I really believe that it has helped me tremendously with the side effects of treatment.

Hang in there!
  • Alsison
    August 19th, 2014

Well surgery is scheduled for September 26th... I have been taking full advantage of my time off work and been hitting the gym almost every day. I have actually lost over 15 pounds since being diagnosed on May 1st..:wink:

I am a little apprehensive about the procedure.. The Doc thinks I will be in the hospital about a week. I am trying not to think about it too much and stay focused on getting healthy.

Breathe in.. Breathe out.

Cheers,

Alison
  • Oh sweet Alison, of course you're apprehensive. Waiting for major surgery sucks. I do hope it goes well for you.

Do you know whether or not the bag is permanent? Or will they not know until after surgery?
  • Alsison
    Do you know whether or not the bag is permanent? Or will they not know until after surgery?

I won't know until after surgery unfortunately.. Fingers crossed that it will be temporary but there is a strong possibility that it will be permenant...

Just over two weeks until surgery now...

Alison
  • I'll keep you in my prayers if that's OK.
  • Alsison
    I'll keep you in my prayers if that's OK.

Definitely okay!! Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • Alsison
    September 30th, 2014

Well, they did it!!

They cut the tumour out of me!! Today is post op day 4 and with a bit of luck (with the help of a home nurse) I will be heading home soon!!!

Now I wait again both to heal and for the pathology report...

I have a permanent ostomy so I've got some stuff to learn but road to recovery, hear I come!!!! :flowerforyou:

Cheers,
    Alison
  • Lena1967
    Lena1967 Posts: 94 Member
    Congratulations on getting past this big step! Sending wishes for a smooth recovery and good pathology report!
  • Alsison
    Oct 1st, 2014

Home sweet home!!! I got sprung from the hospital yesterday. They sent me home with a lot of home care instructions including a wound suction cup still hanging out my *kitten*.... But I am home!

Healing time :heart:
  • I am so exceptionally proud of you Alison. You're a warrior! It's all recovery from here. {{{{{hugs}}}}}
  • Alsison
    Oct 9th, 2014

I got the pathology report today..

Good news.. All the tissue surrounding the tumor was healthy so it looks like they got it all..

Not as good news.. They found cancer in 2 out of 7 lymph nodes that were removed and tested so it looks like another round of chemo...

I am doing okay all in all. Just gotta keep fighting and healing
  • Alsison
    Nov 11th, 2014

I am about to start my post op chemo regimen and the Oncologist gave me the choice between GICAPOX which involves cycles of IV treatment for 1 day, Capeitabine pills for 14 days and then a week of rest or GIAJFFOX which involves 48 hours of chemo treatment through a port administered in cycles every two weeks.

I decided to get the port. I figured I would get the drugs all administered in the 48 hours and then enjoy the freedom for the rest of the two week cycle.

Yesterday I went in for day surgery to get the port inserted. It feels weird but doesn't really hurt. I need to leave the bandages on for another day so we will see how it feels once they are removed..
  • You're in my prayers Hun =)
  • Alsison
    Today was round 1, day 1.. I'm doing AOK!!

I got this!!!
  • Alsison
    Wow.. It's been awhile since I checked in. Today is day 2 of round 7... Only 1 more round to go and then my CT Scan on March 13th... I don't want to get ahead of myself but there may actually be an end in sight.

Chemo sucks, there is no doubt about that but it is manageable.. Basically I have a bad week, followed by a good week but my support system is awesome and I am blessed to be able to spend my bad week at home getting lots of rest.

Cheers,
    Alison