anyone have a good asian stir-fry recipe?

Options
Timon0201
Timon0201 Posts: 20 Member
for me, making stir fry is quick and easy. Does anyone have a south beach friendly recipe for something like beef and broccoli or like the atkins sesame chicken frozen dinner type food??

Thanks!

Replies

• deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Timon0201 wrote: »
    for me, making stir fry is quick and easy. Does anyone have a south beach friendly recipe for something like beef and broccoli or like the atkins sesame chicken frozen dinner type food??

Thanks!
    Timo;

Can't help with SB (don't know the details), and stir fry for us is "whatever's in the fridge or on the counter, coconut oil, butter, more butter, fits in the wok, and looks good. (we don't really "do" recipes all that often)

But, see if something here strikes your fancy:

tinyurl.com/p8bxg46

• tatiianag13
    tatiianag13 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't have a recipe per se, but I've found the key to a good stir fry is the seasoning. Finding a quick sauce I liked changed my whole attitude about stir fry. Usually, I'd make some some salty-soy sauce-is-my-only-real-flavor-I'm-happy-its-low-carb-but-it-sure-isn't-tasty dish and long for takeout. I no longer do. (Well--I do sometimes long for takeout, but never take out stir-fry!)

My sauce: I throw something acidic in there (lemon juice or vinegar), with coconut aminos (I'm gluten free--serves the same purpose as soy sauce/tamari), and--the secret ingredient that makes it taste like takeout is a dash of fish sauce! I ordered a sort of expensive brand from the internet (Red Boat). I paid 28 dollars for 2 bottles--which the internet tells me is overpriced. But you have to be careful about ingredients list from the one's at the regular grocery. Like most things, cheaper varieties add things like sugar and corn syrup. Red boat has two ingredients: anchovies and salt. You can probably find a cheaper one at an Asian foods store, but the ingredients list on these products is often not in English--so I went safe rather than sorry. But you really only use a dash or two for a whole dish. I've been working on one bottle for a year now (its fermented...so its still good.) So its not that expensive in the end. Depending on what I feel like, I spice the stir fry up with cayenne pepper or give it a southeast asian flair with ginger, but the fish sauce gives it that stir fry taste. Depending on what 'flavor' of stir-fry you're into, figuring out the sauce means whatever you put into the stir-fry will be delicious. I made one tonight: asparagus, chicken, baby kale, spinach, yellow peppers, basil--totally random assortment of stuff. But the sauce made it delicious.
  • Timon0201
    Timon0201 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    haha @tatilanag, you crack me up because the "salty-soy sauce-is-my-only-real-flavor-I'm-happy-its-low-carb-but-it-sure-isn't-tasty dish" is exactly what i make when i make stir fry! and my veggies are always super soggy.

but today i tried the atkins sesame chicken frozen dinner, and it was yummy!! i don't want to eat frozen meals all the time cause i'm sure they put lots of crap that isn't good for you, so was hoping for some real recipes!

i will try the fish sauce!! i do have some oyster sauce too. and figure out how to thicken it up without adding too many carbs!
  • cforsythe1149
    cforsythe1149 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We enjoy beef and green peppers over noodles.

The sauce, per half pound of beef: 1 to 1 ½ teaspoon of fermented black beans, ½ half cup beef broth, dash of soy sauce, dash of red wine. (You can thicken the sauce; we use a bit of corn starch slurry)

Fry 1 green pepper and 1 medium onion chopped in 1 ½ chunks per half pound of beef. (Remove to a bowl).

Fry half pound of thinly sliced beef and 1 teaspoon of minced garlic, add sauce, add vegetables.

Serve over Shiritaki noodles, which are very similar in texture and taste to traditional rice noodles.

FYI: US stove tops do not produce enough BTUs to successfully stir fry in a wok. You can use either a 12" skillet or use a wok over a “turkey fryer” which will produce enough BTUs!
  • shrinkme62
    Options
    Recipe from my Korean Sister-in-law. Wish I could make it like she does.

Marinate for as long as possible. A few minutes works, overnight is better.

Chicken breast cut up into 1 inch cubes I use 2 lbs. for the family
    Kikkomans soy Sauce - low salt is good. Enough to soak the chicken
    Garlic and Ginger powder to taste, as well as a little black pepper and sugar.

Toss in a hot pan fairly briefly...cook, but don't overcook.

This is tasty over a little rice.

If I am in a hurry I add a bag of steam fresh broccoli and cauliflower hot from the microwave. I really like fresh carrots, but you can peel and penny them and then cook them covered in water in the microwave in about 4-5 minutes and add to the stir fry.

I occasionally make the same recipe with sliced beef.

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    The sauce does have an impact, but also the way you cook things. The vegetables should be cooked separately so they don't over cook. Then, once the meat and veggies are both near to done, combine them and the sauce and stir fry all that together. The secret to the perfect meat is cornstarch. After it is cut up, sprinkle a tbsp or 2 on it, then a little water and combine thoroughly. Makes it a bit crispy and tender! Now, I don't really do that anymore as I am sensitive to corn, but it does make a difference.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It's quite salty, but this is my go to Szechuan inspired stir fry.

1. Chopstick friendly sized protein. Marinate overnight rocks, but 15 mins works too.
    Marinade: 1 tbs sesame oil, 1 ts sambal oelek chili paste. Work it into the meats or seafood.

2. Chop vegs as preferred. Try make uniform shapes and sizes of same veg. So they cook evenly. For swift cooking later, I grate chinese garlic (uniclove garlic) and ginger. Put each veg into their own bowls, so you can throw them in without having to separate later.

3. Fry the protein on high heat until it's about 2/3 of the way or ALMOST done. Scampi should just curl up a bit on tail so they have formed a circle, then remove immediately. Meats, poke it with a fork or spoon, if it still springs back a little bit, remove. If the protein lost all springiness, you have overcooked it... Put protein into separate plate.

4. I sub rice with shirataki noodles or cauliflower. Rinse or prepare.
    5. Start stir fry vegs in cooking time order. I usually start with onions and throw in garlic the latest, cause I hate burnt garlic. But everyone has their own system.

5. When the vegs are still quite al dente, start make the sauce in same pan. Lower heat a bit.
    - 1-2 tbs sesame oil
    - 6-8 crushed sichuan pepper corns
    - 2 tbs light soy sauce
    - 1-2 tbs oyster sauce
    - 1-2 tbs dry sherry or chinese rice wine
    - red chili flakes or de-seeded fresh chili
    - If you want a big bulk of sauce you can add some chicken broth/water and stock cube and maizena/psyllium fiber husk. Taste, if too diluted add more oyster sauce or other condiments. If too acidic add some sweetener.
    - the original recipe calls for sweet chili sauce too, but it's full of sugar:(

NOTE: You can also make the sauce before you even start all the other processes and make a jar of it. Keeps for roughly a week in airtight container in fridge.

6. When sauce is good, add the shirataki and protein to reheat.

My go-to vegs are:
    Onion, garlic, ginger, chunks of de-seeded cucumber, broccoli bouquets, pre-soaked and squeezed shitake mushroom and dried lily flower roots, spinach.

My absolute favorite chinese restaurant where I live has 2 forks and spoons badge from the Michelin guide. I'm still trying to experiment and find those "secret" ingredients.