Getting back to the gym

Options
lujo321
lujo321 Posts: 78 Member
edited November 2014 in Social Groups
I am going back to the gym today for the first time in a very long time. About a year ago I stopped going for no particular reason. You know, you miss one class, then there's a conflict with your kids practice, then something else and next thing you know it's been 3 months and you just stop trying.

Over the summer I hurt my back. I don't even know how really. But it was pretty bad. Here I am 2 months and several hundred dollars later and after all of the treatments and physical therapy I am headed back to the gym by myself today. I will start slow mostly just doping what the PT has had me doing and I will slowly build back up. I used to take Zumba at least once a week but no jumping or hip shaking for me just yet. My goal is to get back to it. I really think it was my lack of exercise that allowed me to get hurt. I've been overweight before but this time I was overweight and not working out.

Any advice or suggestions for working out again after almost a year of not working out? I've never been super into it and any words of advice or encouragement are welcome.

Replies

• treatgirl
    treatgirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I know it's expensive, but I work out with a personal trainer once a week. At least it means I have to turn up. It helps that she's super nice, and we get on really well - she lets me lift heavy weights and skimp on the cardio! Other than that, it's so much easier if you can work out with a friend, could you do that? I got back into it by thinking of it as some time for me that wasn't work and slumping in front of the TV, rather than as a chore. I also bought myself some nice new workout gear. I've been doing it since June and feel better for it. Swimming could be good if your back is bad?
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I've been in and out of gyms (more out than in) the past year, and I always feel apprehensive before going in. I go for weights because I don't have any at home, but I prefer that my cardio happens out in nature. I'm building a cabin with my hub in northern, AZ, and that's my best workout ever! Up and down ladders, pounding nails, carrying heavy things, I feel it in all parts of my body!

My advice is to just take it easy and set some realistic goals. Ease back in and don’t stress over it. I actually need to take my own advice :D
  • lujo321
    Options
    Well I didn't hurt myself. I kept it fairly light and only used a few machines plus rode the recumbent bike for a bit. My son called me because he got out of wrestling early so I had to actually cut it short. I had been planning to do a bit more. Maybe this was better for my first time back.

A trainer would be lovely but is just outside my budget for now. As for workout clothes I'd like to lose a bit more weight. I actually have some I could fit back into if I lost a little. That will almost be like buying new clothes. Maybe even better.

I cannot imagine building a house. The last time I tried a DIY project we had to hire a professional to fix it. LOL
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Good job at getting back to the gym! Just getting yourself there is the BIGGEST step!! Exercise is like building a home (lucky GrokRockStar by the way!) little by little we reach our completion!
  • treatgirl
    treatgirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Well done on going!!
  • lujo321
    Options
    Went again yesterday. I really had to argue with myself to get there. Especially since I was running late and I only had 30 minutes. It was either go the gym for 30 minutes or sit on the couch for 30 minutes. The gym won this time and I feel better for it. My back was hurting me but the exercises helped and so far today I have no pain.
  • vhuber
    Options
    YAY!!! Way to do the right thing! Be good to yourself & do what feels best for your back.. I have such of a bad one. Tooo many years of abuse from sports & car accidents! I see a chiropractor 1 to 2 times per week! It helps that he is my nephew!
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    30 minutes of the right exercises can certainly do a lot for a sore back. Good for you for going. :) It is so hard at times.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    You've motivated me to go to the gym today to get some weight lifting done.
    WTG Lujo on being consistent!
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Some gyms offer some "gentle" yoga classes. I did one and we were mostly on our backs doing some stretches. Maybe that would be good for you, it's relaxing too.
  • vhuber
    Options
    Great job at getting yourself to the gym!!!
    I'm not a fan of going to the gym. Therefor I have my own. I buy a lot of BeachBody dvd's, have a full set of free weights/bar's, kettlebells, pull up bar, flat bench, step, fitness ball's, an ex bike, a treadmill & a commercial elliptical. Also a big tv! I have been into fitness for years but this year I have felt burnt out although I do some sort of fitness at least 5 days per week!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    My advice is find something that you love doing or you aren't going to stick with it. If you have to wrestle with yourself to get to the gym it probably isn't going to work. Try classes if they are offered. Yoga, Zumba, weight training, whatever. I loathe cardio; it bores me to tears. And I've never been able to consistently get to the gym to get it in. But I love weight training and I recently started doing Stronglifts 5x5. I have been going to the gym 3x/week (rest days are important) and I can't wait to get back at it. Such a difference in my mindset!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Andr, of course, kudos to you for making the commitment!
  • scvb13
    scvb13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Keep it up! I, too, have serious back issues...I've battled spondylythesis since age 18 (unstable vertebrae), bulging discs, degenerative disk disease all since age 18. I've managed to play volleyball in college with those injuries and work for nearly 20 years as an IcU nurse. I then hurt my back back in April pulling pulling up a patient and tore two discs. I was rushed to the ER and MRI and the pain was so bad I needed IV meds for the spasm/pain. Three months later I saw a spine surgeon who said that it's very likely I'll need surgery someday but our goal is to get another 10 years out of my back. I do have to modify what I do (even walking is bad) but I know that I feel way better when I exercise.
    Moral of the story is use it or lose it! Keep getting to the gym and focus on core strength with exercises that are safe for your back! I have 50 lbs. to lose and KNOW that will help my back tremendously as well. I'm not pain free but I'm proud to say that in 26 years of back problems I've never had to take more than Naproxen for my back (except one dose of morphine in the ER in April).
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    You can do it! You can also live more comfortably if you see a chiropractor as well. (assuming you don't because you havent said that) I would not be where I am today if I had not had an awesome chiropractor! For every bit of my wellness! Including things like supplements and issues with my wrists. I am now pain and failure free after she started treating them regularly like my back and legs. I started out with a knot in my mid back that would not go away with massage or anything...it was because my SI was out of whack. Fixed that pretty quickly! I am more needy and prone to injury, but a normal person could get treated short term and then go once a month or so.
  • lujo321
    Options
    Good news/Bad news
    Good - My back has not hurt for 2 WEEKS!. Yay!! I hope I did not just jinx myself.
    Bad - I have been so sick with this head cold I have not been to the gym in over a week.
    That all changes on Friday though as I am taking my son to the gym with me on Friday. Adding him to the membership is his birthday present. He has been wanting to go but I have been putting off adding him for a while. I worry about kids lifting and I know that is where his interest lies. For his birthday I am getting him a couple sessions with the trainer and the membership so he can go with me. I know he will keep me going because he is very excited. Hopefully it lasts.