Losing Weight fast from meds

Options
I started talking the off brands of Lexapro (Escitalopram) and Wellbutrin (Bupropion) a few months ago and after a month I plateaued so my doctor increased the dosage on both. It hasn't helped at all. It actually made the depression worse. He's referring me to a psychiatrist to find the best meds that work for me. But anyways since I started both the medications 3 months ago I have lost 21 lbs. My weight before I took the meds was 198 so I'm not losing to the point where I'm under weight. My appetite has decreased to basically not wanting to eat at all. I force myself to eat to stay healthy and get the nutrients I need. The portions are just smaller than what I used to eat which is a good thing. Before the meds I struggled with eating too much because I was depressed. Has anyone else lost a lot of weight because of lexapro or wellbutrin?

Replies

• macandjeeze
    Options
    The opposite, actually. 2 years on 20mg of Cipralex (Lexapro in Canada) helped me gain 40lbs. Even getting mono didn't stop the weight gain!
  • helenatony0519
    Options
    My doctor put me on remeron a few months ago I gained 36 lbs in the first few weeks. Now I m depressed and chubby. Not a good combination.
  • Terraforcejenny
    Terraforcejenny Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight on lexapro; sort of like what you said, I just ate smaller portions or just...lacked an appetite at all. May I humbly suggest carnation instant breakfasts (the smaller bottles) or Ensure? Obviously this is something to discuss with your doctor, but on the days where food just couldn't be tolerated, liquid meals really helped me keep from getting nutrient deficient (Luna bars are pretty nice for that too if you find a flavor you like).
    A few monthes in does make me wonder if you need to revisit your doc though (not to suggest something you're already doing or anything like that, so pardon me)