Help/advice/tips really appreciated!

Hi everyone

A bit about me
I have dieted for 6 years!!! Had success with weight watchers twice but the counting points I got addicted too!! I then found MFP and lost a stone fairly easy but again got obsessed having odd day were I go in red in caloires means I really beat myself up and punish myself with a binge! So for past year done slimming world but eating too big portions I have tried 5.2 before lasted two week I found the fast days too hard mentally more then anything, I have heard longer you do it easier it gets! I bought the book 5.2 from tesco which was an interesting read, one thing I did find out from the fast days was I found on the feed days what real hunger was the difference between feeling hungry and actually been hungry!!
Reason why the 5.2 appeals to me as you only have to count on 2 days so really only two days of dieting the rest is just healthy eating with odd treat! I have been caloire counting in the past so know what a average day of food intake is like,

Just wondering what best tips are as I want to do this as in long run think it would be best for me my issue is at minute because I been doing slimming world my portions are used to been big so am going to struggle with feeling hungry but I know that I'm eatin way to much so this is something I need to do sooner rather then later

Thanks for reading xx

Replies

• XCHOCOLATECRAZYX
    XCHOCOLATECRAZYX Posts: 38 Member
    Anyone xx
  • heidi436
    heidi436 Posts: 1
    edited November 2014
    Hi there
    I have been doing the 5;2 diet since july and it has really worked for me, it was very hard on the fast days initially, however I have found not having breakfast but waiting and having a small lunch and then dinner have worked for me. I fill up on lots of water and green tea throughout the morning and then have soup for lunch. For dinner vegetables and protein are best to fill you up.
    Keep going- it definitely gets easier the more you do them.
    -
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    I would recommend tracking your calories on non-fast days until you get a sense of how much to eat. Two things can take you off course on your fast days: 1) eating too much on your NFDs and not losing weight 2) eating too little on your NFDs which can lead you to feeling tired and under nourished.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    In your case, Lyndsey, I'd actually recommend, you not count cals on non fast days. You know your cals, with the knowledge you have from your past experience and you say, you get obsessive, when counting. This is why, I think, you might do better mentally only counting on fast days and try not counting on the others. If you don't lose, you might need to go the path, jknight recommends.

As far as portions go. Try this...half of your plate are low cal veggies, 1/4 protein source, 1/4 carbs. This way you 'automatically' get a full plate and the cals are still not too high. I also eat quite a bit of volume, but lots of the volume comes from veggies. I also reduced grain carbs quite a bit, because my digestive system prefers it that way.

Remember: Proteins fill you up, grain carbs can make you hungry.