Not strengthening smaller muscles w/ 5/3/1? Causing headaches? (Discussion wanted)

Options
javengreen
javengreen Posts: 18 Member
Hi everyone.

I used the 5/3/1 program for 9+ months last year but stopped when I started getting really bad tension headaches. When I went to physical therapy, she told me I had too many small supporting muscles that were weak and that was part of my headache.

Do you think there is any validity to this idea?

(The physical therapist didn't lift weights, but she did make my headaches better)

I want to start back up with a program but I don't want to trigger headaches. I still get them 1-2x a month but I can't go to physical therapy forever with my insurance. I manage them myself with massage, heat, and time.

Replies

• Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    From my experience, if I didn't have enough carbs, and I worked out too much I would get extreme headaches so bad that I would become physically ill. Once I increased my carbs the headaches went away.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am not a PT or have any medical training, but that sounds really odd tbh. What did your PT do that made your headaches better?
  • Depictureboy
    Depictureboy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I bet its your form. I notice especially on dead lifts, that if I don't keep my neck neutral..BAM..instant headache...I think your PT is full of it too....The big compound lifts that are used for 5/3/1 also utilize your stabilizing muscles, so long as you are doing them with a barbell and not a smith machine.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I think the Tracy Anderson Method is supposed to build up those small muscles...or something like that. I saw the infomercial at the gym, IDK.

Seriously, though, I feel like that sounds kinda weird and definitely would get a second opinion. Might be completely unrelated.
  • javengreen
    javengreen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The headaches are tension headaches. It might be due to improper form, but it's not one of those from compressing the blood flow at the back of your neck.

The physical therapist helps massage specific muscles, provides a heat wrap, and suggests stretches.

I've decided to go ahead and try weightlifting again. I'll just make sure to do my foam roller massage and mobility work.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I don't know about your PT's theory but anecdotally I went 6 months with daily tension headaches and it turns out mine were caused by a combo of a really tight t-spine (I was at a desk a lot) and gritting my teeth. Do you grit your teeth when you lift?