Strength Training in Pregnancy - whats your routine?

Options
Hi

Am interested in peoples training programmes during pregnancy. I am a keen strength enthusiast using olympic lifting, kettle bells and free weights but during the first trimester I felt very poorly and also had a bleed at 7 weeks which made almost stop training altogether for a while.

Now at 16 weeks everything is great, baby is doing well, I am feeling much better and ready to start eating properly and train again. I just wondered what percentage of effort are you woking at? I have lost a lot of strength, I used to be able to do 5 unassisted chins but now cant even manage 1!

Internet and doctors advice is conflicting and the midwives (am from UK) are not trained in strength and conditioning to really be able to offer advice to someone who is not new to training, wishes to keep active yet not put myself or baby at any unnecessary risk.

I lost 40 lbs after my last pregnancy and would like not to have such a mountain to climb this time!!

Replies

• fit_mama30
    fit_mama30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I also lost lots of strength in my first trimester. I wasn't able to train because of the exhaustion. I know the feeling... I was able to do 165 pounds deadlift and now this isn't happening. My obgyn is very pro-exercise and strength training, he doesn't have an issue with me keeping up with my routine but I have to say that I had to decrease my weights because of the loss of strength anyways. For squats and deadlifts, I'm probably at 50% of what I used to be able to do at the moment. I don't do 'regular' squats anymore, I mostly do front loaded or goblet squats as I find them easier. My obgyn said 165 pounds was too much anyways, lol ;). For shoulders/arms I could probably lift almost as much as I used to (maybe 5 pounds less or something). Except I used to train in the 6-8 rep range and now I'm at 10-12 so I did decrease my weights a little. I just listen to my body.

Some days I'm still too tired to do squats/deadlifts so I'll do exercises I find 'easier' (ie leg press, seated row, etc.). I basically just listen to my body. I asked my obgyn if 60-70 pounds was too much and considering what I was doing before, he said it was fine.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    <- This profile picture of me is from last week at 31 weeks pregnant.

I have been doing Crossfit for 2 years. When I first fell pregnant, I really struggled with nausea and fatigue and found myself only able to make it to the gym 2x a week and I really had to take it easy.

Second trimester was like a surge of energy and I got right back into my workouts. I was on holidays for a month from weeks 12-16, but from week 16 I have been back at Crossfit 5-6x per week. I have actually felt stronger than pre-pregnancy and have seen some of my lifts increase (those not requiring a full squat, that is). I have PRed my strict press, power clean, and deadlift in recent months.

Although there is a LOT of advice around on what pregnant women should and shouldn't do in terms of weightlifting and intense exercise, as a researcher by profession I have invested a good deal of effort in trying to determine what the facts are behind the advice. To summarize the research: your strength training regimen poses NO threat to the fetus. All advice on how women should scale or restrict strength training is based on concern for the risk of injury to mother due to the hormone relaxin loosening the joints.

I have seen a physiotherapist who has told me that I have very good strength and endurance in my pelvic floor and transverse abs, so I am not at risk of diastis recti. This has given me confidence in my core muscles for stabilization during lifts, particularly overhead ones. Heavy overhead lifts are actually really great for strengthening your pelvic floor further.

However, I did notice early in my second trimester that any movements that involve differential weight applied to the legs causes me pelvic girdle pain. Since about month 5, I have stopped doing lunges, running, step-ups, and intense cycling. Since about week 25 I have stopped squatting below parallel and now squat to a 15" box. Squats are also excellent pregnancy exercises for strengthening the pelvic floor.

As for pull-ups, when they get too difficult to do unassisted because of baby weight gain, add assistance. This has been frustrating for me to have to use bands for assistance and not be able to do as many strict reps anymore, but there's nothing wrong with the movement. In this morning's workout, I completed 90 kipping pull-ups using a band.

With all your training, my strongest advice is to listen to your body. It is incredibly intuitive and you will know your limits based on heart rate and fatigue rate. Obviously pregnancy is not a time to go for glory, but you should absolutely be able to maintain a consistent strength training program easily to 70-75% of what you were previously lifting for all lifts, and maybe even more for certain ones depending on how it feels. Don't push through pain!
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone...listen to your body. I'm not really into lifting weights, but I love to walk and run. I stopped running at about 5.5 months pregnant and now I walk. Some days I walk 3km and other days I can walk 8km. I'm 34 weeks at the moment and walked 8km last night at a fast pace. It was very cold outside and the dog needed her walk. I just wanted to get it over with. LOL.
  • anjiebaby
    anjiebaby Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    All excellent advice, thank you! feels like I'm returning to the gym after having not been for years!! so today I did a 2km row, 6 x10 bench at 30kg, 3x5 strict press on each arm with the 12kg bell, 12x10 single bell dead lift at 32kg and a bit of bi's and tri's on the cables. All much lower than my normal weights but really good to be back in the gym again and felt good.

Had a gender scan today and we are going to have another girl, am so happy if a little surprised as had convinced myself it was a boy! All fit and gowing well so can't ask for more than that. So amazing to see the 4D too.

I do wonder where the idea the pregnant ladies shouldn't lift comes from, I have a colleague who won't pick up heavy files, can't be more than a few pounds, at work due to pregnancy.

How are you guys getting on?

Anjie x
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    The advice on not lifting comes from concern that pregnancy hormones (namely relaxin) that makes the mother more vulnerable to injury should she employ bad form. Many women who are not trained at weight lifting will be at greater risk of back injury or other strains if they attempt to lift something quite heavy, but I don't think the risk is that high overall even then.

Personally, I've felt very strong and fit since about 16 or 18 weeks along. Now at 32 weeks, I have actually just set a new personal best deadlift, knowing my form has not been even slightly compromised by pregnancy and also knowing that the deadlift is one of the few lifts I can still do without causing any discomfort (particularly in the pelvic girdle).
  • anjiebaby
    anjiebaby Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I see, yes that makes sense, Its interesting the fear that is put around pregnancy, I have had so much conflicting advice from professionals that I didnt know what to do for the best.

I am now just hitting 17 weeks and feeling so much brighter, could still sleep for England though! Its funny as I have stayed away from deadlifting even though its by far my strongest lift having achieved a 1RM at 140kg (belted) I was training for a strong woman competition and although I achieved all the lifts for the qualifiers I was pregnant by the actual comp so that will have to wait! But I think I will start dead-lifting again, I may use the hex bar to begin with and wont be going for any PB's!

I really want to try and keep some strength in my pressing as these are def my weaker lifts, but I guess a lot of this is just about greasing the grove, working on technique and the strength will gradually increase again when the time is right.
  • fit_mama30
    fit_mama30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    It's strange because I've also stayed away from deadlifting. Now sure why. I could do 2-3 reps at 165 pounds but I don't think I've deadlifted since I got pregnant (or maybe once or twice, about 80 pounds max and with a bit of discomfort). I just feel like when I hit the gym I'm tired from my day and deadlifts are such a demanding exercise. Ugh, or maybe I'm just making excuses.