Season 5 - Episode 8 Mid Season Finale - "Coda" - 11/30/14

Options
This thread serves as a place to discuss speculation, and then reaction to the 11/30/14 episode.

PLEASE REMEMBER TO NOT DISCUSS COMIC BOOK SPOILERS IN EPISODE/SEASON THREADS

AMC Sneak Peek:
http://www.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/videos/sneak-peek-episode-508-the-walking-dead-coda

YouTube Preview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKV0eRfBHvM

Replies

• SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Poor Beth... I had a feeling her days were numbered. Like that she got out of the teenage mode and became a strong character before her untimely demise. I really wish she and Maggie were able to reunite before they killed her off.

Very, Very disappointed that they did not bring Morgan more into this season. Only a glimpse of him doesn't really count. Why not allow him to meet up with the group vs. only being in the aftermath of their path thru the church and at the school.

I'm wanting Fr. Gabriel to get killed off sooner vs. later. I don't see any benefit he brings to the group. At least Abraham is somewhat back in the saddle again.

Now I have to wait until February....Oh, my..
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    So, I didn't feel much of anything when Dawn shot Beth but then the camera panned around to all of the others faces and reactions and that's when the tears started rolling. Then the last scene with Daryl carrying her body out and Maggie's breakdown - gut wrenching.

I didn't hate Beth but I just didn't have much of an attachment to her character. It was nice to see her finally grow some this season but if we're being honest, I'd have to say I was just glad it wasn't Carol like I had assumed.

I was really sad for Emily Kinney when I watched Talking Dead afterwards - she was really broken up about leaving the show and of course that made me feel terrible about not really being upset about her character being killed.

Oh, and I cracked up when Rick told Lamson to shut up after he ran him over and shot him. Take notes, Tyreese - it's time to man up this spring. No more teddy bear *kitten*. :)
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I have to say two of the deaths in this episode were satisfying...Officer Lamson death following Rick's hit and shoot..the second death was the cop who Beth/Dawn killed.

I felt a bit sad that Beth is gone. I wasn't attached to her character and her singing annoyed me, but the reactions from Darryl and Maggie made me feel sad for a bit. I too wish Maggie and Beth had at least some kind of reunion before her death. I couldn't tell if Dawn meant to shoot Beth or if the gun somehow went off when Beth stabbed her. It looked for a second like Dawn herself was surprised that Beth was shot.

I think if they had followed Rick's plan from the start, Beth might have lived. Tyreese needs to man up like yesterday. Sasha should feel stupid. They are living in an apocalypse. The rules are different now.

Father Gabriel is such an annoying dumba$$ of a character. How he will add any value to the group is beyond me.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I'm not a Beth hater and in true TWD fashion, they developed her stronger character before killing her off. It made me sad. I was seriously shocked when I realized what had just happened and of course the reactions of Daryl and Rick and then Maggie made me die.

I don't see where father Gabriel is going. The scene with him going to the school and finding Bob's leg confused me. Maybe he knew the Termites? I dunno. Hopefully he starts to man up or gets eaten by a Walker.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    @fbmandy55 - I think he wasn't sure whether Rick & co were telling the truth about the Termites. He couldn't believe people would sink that low so he was suspicious (-ly in denial) that maybe the gang was just a bunch of killers. So when he saw Bob's leg he had to face the truth of what the world has become while he locked himself away the whole time. I liked the shot how it panned from the bible with the heart inscription straight to the leg...God is love...people are evil...god made people...wtf...or maybe that part is just in my head <g>
    -
    So, called it on Beth. I kind of knew during the previews last week, that shot of her framed in the elevator was way too angelic-looking, it reeked of death. I agree that Tyrese (AND DARRYL) got Beth killed and I hope someone manages to put that in their faces. Tyrese also admitted to Sasha that he let Martin live and he doesn't even feel badly about it. A guy that freaking ate Bob's leg. I actually think Tyrese is more of a burden than a benefit to the group at this point. Unless they open a club and need a tough-looking bouncer.

I really love how they're tippy-toe-ing Rick over the moral edge. YEAH he had to bite that guy's neck. YEAH he had to go nuclear on Terminus. Yeah they had to kill Gareth and co but maybe not beat their corpses into submission? Uh...yeah...he had to run that guy down from behind and er...maybe...shoot him dead...Every episode he gets more comfortable with brutality. His arc is what makes the show, IMO. I just hope this doesn't mean we'll have to see ghost Lori again.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Options
    I feel comfortable with Rick's actions. Is that bad? lol... I feel that in this new world strangers shouldn't get second chances. Second chances get your people killed.

So now Morgan will head off to the East Coast since he discovered the map. It's a long walk. He sure is in better condition than our group. He was so kind and almost compassionate in how he killed that walker woman. Rick is all "shut up!" to Officer Lamson and Morgan says "shhh!" as if he were calming some overly anxious person. Such a contrast.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    No haha, not EVEN <g>. I actually feel perfectly comfortable with Rick's actions up to this point as well, I just feel like we're being set up for him to cross a line (or kill someone who turns out to have been a good person) and then freak out about it, which will suck if it happens (the freak-out) because we already saw all of those episodes and Lori was in them. The way I see Tyrese turning into Dale...I don't like when the writers revert to the half-arsed, whiny moralizing that dragged the show down so much in the past.

Right also on Morgan - so I'm thinking the group will head to DC anyway then, otherwise Morgan gets a spinoff!! He is cuckoo but seems to be in a good mood at least :)
  • Booksandbeaches
    Options
    You know what struck me as so ironic. Father Gabriel begging to be let into the church so he can get protection from the walkers. This is the same man who let his flock get killed because he wouldn't let them in.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    yva4un326cbd.jpg

I didn't cry too much when Beth died...don't get me wrong...I screamed but not much tears. Then during The Talking Dead "In Memoriam" where they had the part for Beth that said she'd soon be in her Dad's arms I totally lost it!!!!
  • AnaNotBanana
    Options
    I'm glad that Father Gabriel finally had his eye opened to the realities of the world out there. He's so clueless about what is really happening and now he knows. I was glad to see him finally carrying his machete.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    soaps54 wrote: »
    So, I didn't feel much of anything when Dawn shot Beth but then the camera panned around to all of the others faces and reactions and that's when the tears started rolling. Then the last scene with Daryl carrying her body out and Maggie's breakdown - gut wrenching.

I didn't hate Beth but I just didn't have much of an attachment to her character. It was nice to see her finally grow some this season but if we're being honest, I'd have to say I was just glad it wasn't Carol like I had assumed.

I agree with all of this. LOL!
  • AnaNotBanana
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

Right also on Morgan - so I'm thinking the group will head to DC anyway then, otherwise Morgan gets a spinoff!! He is cuckoo but seems to be in a good mood at least :)

I LOVED the look on his face when he saw Rick's name!

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

I LOVED the look on his face when he saw Rick's name!

My husband's guess was that, upon finding the map, Morgan would head towards DC, so Rick and Co. better get going there. (Noah also mentioned Virginia, so he'd probably be happy to go that way.) My thought was that Morgan picked up the map and thought that if Rick had gone to DC, he'd have taken the map with him. Because the map was left behind, he'll assume that Rick is probably in the area. I'm hoping he goes looking for him, and I hope he's in a good mood when he finds him ;)

I wondered if, when Father Gabriel got away from the church, he'd run into Morgan. I wish he had because that would've been quite the meeting. However I'd have been happier if Father Gabriel had had more run-ins with walkers because I'm seriously waiting for him to prove his worth to the group. He's a liability at this point.

As for Tyreese, he isn't a warrior, but at least he loves Judith like his own and can handle her while everyone else fights. In my mind he has a purpose.

I worried that Noah was going to go back to Dawn's group (or worse), so I'm glad that he'll be around more. I like his character.

Was anyone else worried about Judith in the carrier while Michonne was chopping the wood off the door and then fighting walkers? That made me a little nervous, though I should give the writers more credit than to have Judith get hurt by a wayward katana.
  • Booksandbeaches
    edited December 2014
    Options
    RBXChas wrote: »

Was anyone else worried about Judith in the carrier while Michonne was chopping the wood off the door and then fighting walkers? That made me a little nervous, though I should give the writers more credit than to have Judith get hurt by a wayward katana.

When that scene was on, my husband asked me "Where is Judith?" I told him that Judith was in the backpack. lol.. She must have been flopping around getting whiplash from all of Michonne's movements.

I feel like Father Gabriel will have a story arc where he becomes a stronger fighter.
  • AnaNotBanana
    Options
    How far behind the group do you think Morgan is? I feel like they showed the magazines when Father Gabriel was there and then again when Morgan was there to illustrate that a good amount of time has passed. They haven't made it clear how close or far Morgan is behind them.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    How far behind the group do you think Morgan is? I feel like they showed the magazines when Father Gabriel was there and then again when Morgan was there to illustrate that a good amount of time has passed. They haven't made it clear how close or far Morgan is behind them.

I'm guessing he's less than a day behind them, but this show doesn't always follow a linear timeline.

• sofaking6
    Options
    He can't be very far unless they did some weird time thing when they first showed him at the beginning of the season.

By which I mean, ^ ditto
  • Booksandbeaches
    Options
    I think he's not more than a day or a few days behind. I don't get what those marks on the trees mean. He seems to understand the signs.