Slacking. How do I get out of this funk?

Options
katematt313
katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
Okay, I am slacking. My weight loss has stalled in the past two weeks, and it is my fault. Aargh! I am not drinking as much water as I should, and I am not minding the macro-nutrients the way that I should be. I don't want to exercise. I just want to curl up on the sofa with a nice blankie, cup of hot cider, and read a book or watch a movie. I need motivation, stat. I know what I SHOULD do, and I know how to do it, but I just can't seem to get out of my own way.

It's me. It's all me. I need a reality check. What do you do to get yourself out of a funk?

Replies

• klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Look at your before and after pics --- they are amazing and such an inspiration! Also, maybe it would help to plan for everything --- get your workout outfit ready to go, etc. and then you may look at it and think, "well, what the heck!" I'm trying to do that so I don't have any excuses. I make my protein drinks the night before. Get my exercise gear in a bag to take with me to the office. I'm also trying not to "think" about it --- but just make it automatic. If I think --- I can rationalize...all the reasons why not. :smiley:
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could use the curling up with a blanket and cup of hot cider as a reward for doing "x" minutes of exercise.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    It can be so hard to get motivated. I get up at 4:30 every morning to go to the gym. I am not thrilled about it, but once I get there I am so glad I did. Seriously, I lay in bed negotiating with myself sometimes - "I will stay in bed 10 more minutes, then I will go", or "Maybe I will just go after work". I have to remember every day how life was for me pre-surgery, and that I made the choice to change my life to make it better. I know how much happier I am and how much better I feel, and that is what motivates me. I had trouble with water at one point too, so I downloaded an app called wateryourbody. It reminds me to drink water and it really does help.

All that said, sometimes we just get tired, and sometimes we just need down time to decompress. Do everything you need to do, but also be good to yourself. It's a balancing act. Last Saturday I took a spin class at 8 am, then I spent the rest of the day in my jammies watching crappy TV and drinking coffee. It was awesome, because I hardly ever do that, and I need to do more of that. And one last thing - I don't force myself to have the correct attitude when I work out at 5 am. I don't have to be a ray of sunshine. I just have to get there :-)
  • katematt313
    Options
    Garber6th - this is what I struggle with. I am glad I am not the only one debating with myself, at dawn, whether I should haul my butt to the gym. The water thing is a killer. It is so hard to get it all in - not because it makes me uncomfortable - but because I've developed this aversion to drinking it. Bizarre.

Thanks for the feedback.
  • katematt313
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    It can be so hard to get motivated. I get up at 4:30 every morning to go to the gym. I am not thrilled about it, but once I get there I am so glad I did. Seriously, I lay in bed negotiating with myself sometimes - "I will stay in bed 10 more minutes, then I will go", or "Maybe I will just go after work". I have to remember every day how life was for me pre-surgery, and that I made the choice to change my life to make it better. I know how much happier I am and how much better I feel, and that is what motivates me. I had trouble with water at one point too, so I downloaded an app called wateryourbody. It reminds me to drink water and it really does help.

All that said, sometimes we just get tired, and sometimes we just need down time to decompress. Do everything you need to do, but also be good to yourself. It's a balancing act. Last Saturday I took a spin class at 8 am, then I spent the rest of the day in my jammies watching crappy TV and drinking coffee. It was awesome, because I hardly ever do that, and I need to do more of that. And one last thing - I don't force myself to have the correct attitude when I work out at 5 am. I don't have to be a ray of sunshine. I just have to get there :-)

I tried this. On Saturday morning, the baby woke me up at 5:30 and I could not go back to sleep. So, I got out of bed, put on my running gear, and went out and did 3 miles. Granted, I froze my tush off (18 degrees) and learned the hard way that I need fleece lined pants to exercise outside, but I felt so good about myself that it colored the rest of my day.
  • garber6th
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »

I tried this. On Saturday morning, the baby woke me up at 5:30 and I could not go back to sleep. So, I got out of bed, put on my running gear, and went out and did 3 miles. Granted, I froze my tush off (18 degrees) and learned the hard way that I need fleece lined pants to exercise outside, but I felt so good about myself that it colored the rest of my day.

So awesome! This morning I was up at 3:30 and I couldn't go back to sleep, so I ironed (only quiet thing I could think of!) and then at 4:30 I left for the gym. It's such a good feeling to start off the day with a real accomplishment, isn't it?
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Garber6th - this is what I struggle with. I am glad I am not the only one debating with myself, at dawn, whether I should haul my butt to the gym. The water thing is a killer. It is so hard to get it all in - not because it makes me uncomfortable - but because I've developed this aversion to drinking it. Bizarre.

Thanks for the feedback.

I hate going to the gym in the morning too, but I find I am more consistent about it than trying to go later. Apparently my slacker arguments are still asleep at 5 am. As far as the water goes, change it up with some flavors once in a while. I like True Lemon, which is basically crystallized lemon juice, but there is a wide variety of sugar free flavorings like crystal lite out there.
  • bakingmadness
    bakingmadness Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I used Crystal Lite all the time to get my water in. It's only got 5 calories per 8 ounces and my doctor said it was okay since it was just flavor and it was getting me to get all my water in.
  • talinaklocke
    talinaklocke Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    you can also mix up flavors with kool-aid and splenda. I like to mix a packet of kool-aid with a 1/2 cup of splenda in a ziplock bag and then mix in a teaspoon or two into my bottle of water, or sometimes I mix the kool-aid (usually black cherry) with crystal light, it's great mixed with pink lemonade.
  • TheCurvyJ
    TheCurvyJ Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm terrible at making myself do what I just don't feel like doing. But sometimes you've got to kick your own behind and force yourself to do it. It's only X minutes out of my day, then it'll be over and I can chill. In the winter it's hard to get me to the gym... if I don't go on my way home from work, it's not happening.

Two weeks in the grand scheme of things isn't a huge setback. It's winter, it's cold, it's tough to stay on the grind. Cut yourself a little slack, but keep your goals top of mind. Look at your old before pictures and ask yourself if that's where you ever want to be again. If not, kick your own booty and make some moves.
  • jkern9110
    jkern9110 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post! It was a great read. I had a follow up question for all of you morning gym bunnies...do you find it easier to work out in the morning and what is it like trying to get ready at the gym? It always seemed like a logistical nightmare to get ready there. Just curious. TIA.
  • garber6th
    Options
    jkern9110 wrote: »
    Thank you for this post! It was a great read. I had a follow up question for all of you morning gym bunnies...do you find it easier to work out in the morning and what is it like trying to get ready at the gym? It always seemed like a logistical nightmare to get ready there. Just curious. TIA.

I used to work out in the evenings after work but I prefer mornings now. Sometimes I do NOT want to get out of bed, but once I get there I am glad I did! I have no problem getting ready in the morning. I just have my clothes ready the night before so I can roll out of bed, get dressed, and go. Fortunately I live about a two minute drive from the gym, so I go home after my workout to shower and change and get ready for work. One of the best things for me about working out in the morning is that it really sets a good tone for the rest of the day because I start off accomplishing something, I feel great after working out, and it keeps my evenings free.

• loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I do not like exercising, so thankfully I have my partner to push me, and he loves to exercise. So, we go each day after work. My partner starts work at 3:30-4:00am each day, so going in the morning is not an option. (he has the car) I don't think exercising is ever going to be a favorite of mine, but I recognize it's just something that I have to do. Kind of like paying taxes, shaving my legs, etc. As for the water, I agree- I hate plain water. From day one I have used crystal light or other flavorings. I try to get the low calorie-no calorie flavorings. I wouldn't get all my liquid in any other way.
  • glyndalin
    glyndalin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Where do you live? The reason I ask is I have a moderately severe case of Seasonal Affective Distorder. That means in the winter months, even here in Texas, I can find it hard to get moving. My body and mind go into "hibernation" ("depression") mode. What helps me is having a very regular bedtime and wake up time, and the use of full spectrum lamps a couple of times a day.

It's VERY hard to be motivated if you have any form of depression, including just a "physical reaction" depression. You have to work to get past it, or see a medical professional for pharmaceutical intervention.

I'm not saying that you HAVE "S.A.D.", but it is something to look into if this happens whenever there are "gray skies" for more than one or two days. In my case, it's less than 12 hours of "gray skies" that will trigger the physical reaction. I think it may be more barometric pressure response than sunlight response, but the effect is the same. I have to work at not being a slug. So far, I have not had to use drugs, but I did move from Virginia to Central Texas and I did invest in those full spectrum lights. That notwithstanding, I still have days I have to "tough out," but not nearly as many.

I hope this helps.
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You lose weight when you create a caloric deficit. Calories in calories out is the 100% way to lose weight. You should exercise because its good for your health not becuase you have to. Both combinations can help you get better results eat less lose the weight do exercise get toner and leaner but in order to lose weight all you need to do is eat less, dont go over your daily allowed calories. So even if you dont feel like working out you will still lose. Also do it to feel healthier not because it's a mandatory thing. If it feels like a chore you will dislike it and not do it. I know a ppl who didnt incorporate working out til they had achieved their weight loss goal. But I guarantee you that once you start working out a least 3 times a week you will feel better.

Read this article http://www.shapefit.com/basal-metabolic-rate.html
  • Jamielynn_77
    Jamielynn_77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am glad that someone hit on this topic. I am at a slacking point and I think that @glyndalin is right about the S.A.D. When it's cold and gloomy here in Illinois, all I want to do is sit and sleep, watch tv and do nothing. :cold_sweat:
    The other is that I get so frustrated that I don't have time. I would love to go to the gym and work out, but with work and school, and a kid, I am hard pressed to even find time to sleep. So I struggle to find things that I can do at home, quickly. I have the materials, (yoga ball, resistance bands, hand weights), I just need direction. :confounded:
  • IslandSneezerooo
    IslandSneezerooo Posts: 268 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I rely on the same routine, in the same order, every single day, to get stuff done. Every single morning I start the kettle, put away the dishes while it's coming to a boil, grind the coffee, pour the boiling water into the french press, while it's perking I take my supplements, fill my water bottle, pour coffee into an insulated mug to stay warm, do a workout, take a shower, get dressed, eat breakfast, drink coffee. I make deals with myself... "You can't enjoy <fill in the blank> until you're done the morning routine." It is much more satisfying to curl up in my recliner with a good book and my coffee without the nagging guilt that I haven't done what I need yet... Just get it over with and enjoy the rest of the day! :smiley:

I figure if I keep doing it that way enough times eventually it will just be part of my morning routine and I'll feel out of sync if I miss it... The only downside to this is if something happens me to throw me off my routine it's hard to remember everything... :neutral_face: creature of habit!! LMAO