Low-carb recipe/ meal suggestions ?

Options
icrushit
icrushit Posts: 773 Member
Hi all,

Looking for some good sources for low carb recipes if you have any, or even simply just your favourite/ go-to low carb dishes :smile:

Just returning to a little lower carb eating after eating low carb for about 4/ 5 months earlier in the year, but towards the end got awfully bored with the same low-carb foods I was eating all the time, thus my search for more variety :smile:

Smoothies, breakfasts of yoghurt, berries, nuts & seeds, chili, meat/ fish & non-starchy veg, omelettes/ frittatas, and meat, peppers, onions and eggs, have tended to be my go-to staples in the past, but quite happy to add to them..

Thanks in advance :smile:

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html

I have made many of these recipes. Quite delish.

I'm doing keto so that's about as helpful as I can be for you. Hopefully the others will stop by soon and help out.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    http://cavemanketo.com/category/food/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-paleo-recipes/

Christine Cronau also has some really good looking recipes, but her stuff is all locked into books and her paid membership thing. Might be worth getting her cookbook, though (seriously, some of the pics she's posted on Facebook look really, really good).

Scrambled eggs in butter (lately topped with cheese and sour cream) tends to be my staple breakfast. I also keep genaw's cream cheese clouds, string cheese, and/or a somewhat locally made ("somewhat," because it's a few hundred miles away) beef sticks on hand for snacks.

We cook simply, so dinner is usually a meat+vegetable, and lunch is leftovers. I've found it helps to rotate your staple meats. So, right now, we primarily have bison instead of beef on hand (or mix together both), and have been favoring pork and whole chickens over red meats in general (not for any particular reason other than boredom). I got my hands on some lamb chops the other day, so that's what I had for dinner on Saturday (I just wish I could handle eating the amazing layer of fat that was on them, but alas, I'm not to the point where I can stomach that kind of richness, which is a shame, because it was so tasty!). And don't be afraid to try other things, too -- rabbit, venison, and squirrel are all awesome in their own rights (who needs Cornish game hens when you have rabbit or squirrel?).

Get a whole chicken, cover it in salt, and roast it on 450F for about an hour. It's phenomenal (here's the source recipe -- http://everydaypaleo.com/easy-and-amazing-roast-chicken/ ). You'll never go back to skinless chicken anything.
  • icrushit
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I shall check them out, and see what I can add to my repertoire :smile:

I hear you re: cooking simply, as breakfasts and dinners often take no thought, with usually berries, yoghurt and nuts and seeds for the former, and meat/ fish and veg for the latter. All quickly prepared too.

Lunches and sometimes inbetween lighter meals are often where I run out of imagination, and I usually cook for myself and rarely in batches these days, so leftovers are not a ready option for lunch, lol.

Thanks again, and anymore suggestions please feel free to add them :smile:
  • xoxtarajeanxox
    Options
    For lunch I cut up some leftover chicken, added steamed brocolli and alfredo sauce. Mixed it all together and popped it in the microwave. Very good!
  • ASNK27
    Options
    I found this online and made it for Thanksgiving... OMG is was sooo good.

http://www.food.com/recipe/just-like-loaded-baked-potatoes-casserole-95068
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I would definitely suggest cooking on your days off and experimenting with batch cooking. It really helps! Whenever I am bored with my food, I go right on Pinterest and find a million ideas!
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    I would definitely suggest cooking on your days off and experimenting with batch cooking. It really helps! Whenever I am bored with my food, I go right on Pinterest and find a million ideas!
    Cindy;

Pinterest (for those that use it) is a GREAT resource.

I'm not a big "recipe" guy but I do love to peruse them for general ideas and then just throw together my own "version" so that it ends up looking something like the pics <g>.

I've also found any number of "traditional" recipes (on the "normal" cooking sites - epicurious, food channel, etc) that can be "modified" pretty easily to meet LCHF goals.

If you haven't already, add this to your bag of tricks - the author is a group member and pretty much every one of her ideas I've tried have been great.

butterisnotacarb.com/

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    Cindy;

Pinterest (for those that use it) is a GREAT resource.

I'm not a big "recipe" guy but I do love to peruse them for general ideas and then just throw together my own "version" so that it ends up looking something like the pics <g>.

I've also found any number of "traditional" recipes (on the "normal" cooking sites - epicurious, food channel, etc) that can be "modified" pretty easily to meet LCHF goals.

If you haven't already, add this to your bag of tricks - the author is a group member and pretty much every one of her ideas I've tried have been great.

butterisnotacarb.com/

I don't usually make anything exactly either, I just get inspiration from it like you said and then add my own spin on it.
  • icrushit
    Options
    Some great tips and advice guys, thanks :smile: I like Pinterest too, and anywhere else I can gain inspiration. I think I shall try to focus on some batch cooking again, as that should sort out the whole 'what's for lunch' area, lol. At the moment, I'm just playing around with some protein bar recipes first :smile:
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I cook for a family of 4 and batch cooking saves me so much time. Here's a few easy ones you might be interested in:

Breakfast for the hubby who is out the door early to work is usually a bacon with veg (mushroom, spinach or zucchini are all great) egg bake with a cheesy top. Quick, simple and plenty of recipes on the internet. It's basically a crustless quiche and is great for lunches too.

Cook a pot of minced beef with taco/chilli seasoning spice mix. Check the prepackaged spices as some contain sugars and fillers. Eat it with sour cream, grated cheese and mashed avocado with a salad of cucumbers and tomatoes.

A quick, grab-from-the-fridge lunch is brie cheese, slice it up and smear on some pate, top it with avocado.

Cook a tray of bacon in the oven and keep it in the fridge.

Keep half a dozen boiled eggs in the fridge. Mash up a couple with some mayo or sour cream. Scoop it into a lettuce leaf, wrap it up and eat. Add some cut up precooked bacon. Grated cheese is great with it too.

Happy Eating.

*edited for typing error*
  • oyadancing
    oyadancing Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    A great make-ahead dish: Crustless quiche. Lots of examples out there, but pretty much the same, take everything you'd add to a crust and instead pour/layer into a oiled baking dish.

I'm at work from 9am-7pm, so I cook easy reheating food in batches on weekends - ham shanks and greens (collards, kale, etc.), butter roasted brussel sprouts, mashed cauliflower with cheese and butter are some of my favorites. And in the pressure cooker, pot roasts, short ribs, chicken stock, all really easy with not a lot of prep time needed.

Lastly but most iimportantly I've gotten great ideas from:

http://www.ruled.me/
    http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/
    http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/

Best of luck!