Middle-aged Guy Eating at Maintenance Starting Stronglifts

Options
Chevy_Quest
Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
Eating at Maintenance Starting Stronglifts

Hi, I am a 5'7" Male, 190 lbs, approx 30% BF. I have gone to several sites and my TDEE is around 2400-2600 per day. 52 years old.

I have been losing gradually for the last six months doing just walking and running. But I have realized that if I want Long term fitness I have to start to lift. I started Stronglifts 5x5 about a week ago and I really like it. The emphasis on squatting is what really makes sense to me. I have started low because I want good form.

For the next three months I am going to eat at my TDEE 2400-2600 and just focus on getting more fit. I do some walk / jog routines on the days I don't lift and eat back about 50-60% of those calories I burn. I am pretty much a calories in vs. calories out guy so nothing out of the ordinary there.

Question: Should I expect to see results in measurements (waist for example) during this process? Anyone had a similar experience?

Let me get this out of the way: I know for a fact that I won't gain any muscle mass as I am not eating at a surplus. Plus, I am not looking to lose any appreciable weight during this 3 month period. I just want to be "more fit" where I am at.

Any kind of comments or observations would be great!

Thanks!

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I was 52 when I started getting my weight and bodyfat down and fitness and strength up.
    Did a very different routine though due to injuries and (I'm guessing) goals, cardio fitness is as important as strength to me.

After the initial 6 months of weight loss I switched to maintaining (actually nibbled off a few more pounds here and there but majority of time at maintenance).
    Over the course of a year my experience was increased strength by about 50% back to close to lifetime bests. Fitter than I have ever been - relative to age anyway and quite possibly in absolute terms too!
    Waist smaller, chest, arms & leg measurements either slightly bigger or stayed roughly the same. Lost fat (7.5lbs), increased LBM (3.5lbs).
    Other benefits were big decreases in back and knee pain.

By the way there's plenty of exceptions to:
    I know for a fact that I won't gain any muscle mass as I am not eating at a surplus.
    As you say you have 30% BF and eating at maintenance don't set your expectations too low - you have huge energy reserves! The calorie surplus being required for muscle building is far more necessary if you are lean and at or near your training peak. Your training, training history and genetics are big factors to take into consideration. Age is against us though. :(
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Are you not looking to lose weight over the next few months for preference reasons (i.e. you want to eat at maintenance for a break)?

Also, as a new lifter, it is quite possible that you may gain some muscle, especially as you have a relatively high BF%.

• sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    hi Chevy,
    I've been on MFP for nearly 2 years; year 1 was weight loss, dropped 47lbs; then I started lifting this past spring, I have a home dumbbell gym & do 5x5 or 6x5 3 days per week, I walk 3 days & rest 1.
    I don't keep exact measurements but I can report a WHOLE LOT of improved definition, all over, and 3 months into my lifting I had a casual look at the scales, & I'd lost a further 5lb!
    I get kind of hot looking at myself in the mirror these days, just waiting for my wife to join in ;)
    good luck!
    oh, I'm 55, 5'10", 164lb
  • Fit_Content
    Fit_Content Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    bump - to learn
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    @sijomial - Thanks for the great advice and knowing that someone my age has had success really helps out - Thank You!
    @Sarauk2sf - Great Advice. You nailed it. I wanted a break from losing for a few months while I get used to lifting heavy weights again. And I definitely see your point about the high BF% thanks for the advice.
    @sunman00 - Great advice - Your story definitely helps me out. Thanks for the advice.!

Chevy!
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Cool! Guys in their 50s lifting heavy. Lost 45 lbs in 2013. Have maintained since Jan. 2014 and started All Pro routine at that time. Wasn't consistent enough with the routine to make any serious progress but recommitted again this summer. Have made slow and steady progress since then. Like sunman I use dumbbells only but that haven't been a problem yet. Start slow and focus on form and strengthening your core. Enjoy the results.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    @loulamb thanks for the input.. Definitely the core... Thanks!