How does OA work?

Options
So how does OA work? What are the guidelines for staying food sober? What will a sponsor help me with and what are the best resources to buy? Loads of questions I know but I cannot get to meetings where I am so I need to be put on track

Replies

• GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    Hi CFS,
    First off, have you determined that you are a compulsive overeater, or bulimic? Some people may find that they are just unhealthy eaters.

In a nutshell, The OA program originates from AA (Bill W's Big Book) where recovery is addressed through the 12 steps.

The guidelines to remain abstinent vary from one person to the next. For example, some people only eat three meals per day and weigh and measure all of their food, but that can be problematic for some. I am diabetic, so I have to eat more frequently, plus I obsessively count, so weighing and measuring can make me insane (which defeats the purpose). When I work with sponsees, I help them tailor A workable program that they can live with because there is no right or wrong way.

The purpose of a sponsor is to guide you through the 12 steps and work you through the tools of recovery. Some ask that you check in daily, but again, it should be reasonable based on your needs. Sponsors are supposed to be your go-to person for guidance reagarding the program (only), not tell you how to live your life.

If you can't get to a face to face meetings, there are phone meetings and podcasts, I'll post that info for you shortly. Any other questions, please ask away!
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    Here is the link to the podcasts speaker meetings:
    http://www.oalaig.org/speakers-podcasts/the-laig-virtual-speakers-bureau.html

Here is the link phone meetings:
    http://www.oa.org/membersgroups/find-a-meeting/
  • EDFIGHTINGDAISY
    EDFIGHTINGDAISY Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    HeyGrokRockStar
  • EDFIGHTINGDAISY
    EDFIGHTINGDAISY Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I wrote a huge reply before... I don't know what happened to it
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    That happens to me sometimes and it's soooo frustrating :\
  • Chemist1964
    Options
    I had my OA meeting last night. It is a good program for someone who wants to stop compulsive overeating. It helps me.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    There are no short answers about OA. If you can't get to a face-to-face meeting, then get the literature and read it, listen to the OA podcasts, listen in on phone meetings. In order for the program to work, it requires first being able to fully concede to your innermost self that you are a compulsive overeater and that all your attempts to change your behaviour on your own have failed.