Last truly great book you read?

Replies

• The Fault in Our Stars
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Just finished Donna Tarrt's new book "The Goldfinch". WOW.
  • Me and my daughter read Tithe a Modern Faerie Tale by Holly Black, we both loved it. I'm making my way through the Game of Thrones series now, the first book was great! Second ones a bit slow.
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    1. Razorland Series by Anne Aguirre (YA) (Enclave, Outpost, and Horde)
    2. Lumatere Chronicles by Melina Marchetta (YA) ( Finnikin of the Rock, Froi of the Exiles, and Quintana of Charin)
    3. Kate Daniels Series by Ilona Andrews
  • Jojo Moyes - Me Before You. Although the cover suggests it's yet another chicklit, it's truly not. I've read it and reread it and I still can't get my mind off of it. Brilliant read.
  • A Girl's Guide to Homelessness by Brianna Karp. It's an autobiography I happened to spot at my local library and it was one of the most difficult and fascinating stories I've ever read. Ms. Karp has to be one of the most diligent, hardworking people I've ever "met" and her story of ingenuity, triumphs, and tragedy was incredibly gripping. I whole-heatedly recommend her book to everyone.
  • timetravelforfitness
    timetravelforfitness Posts: 242 Member
    I read The Once and Future King and loved it so much I read the second book again immediately. And I loved Swamplandia! so much I was reading it in the car at pick ups.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Lamb, The Gospel According to Biff, Christs Childhood Pal, by Christopher Moore
  • jkbnligocki
    jkbnligocki Posts: 2 Member
    I have read a couple of really good books in my opinion for our book club. One was 11/22/63 by Stephen King. If you are a JFK fanatic this is the book for you. Also right now reading Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. So far so good!!
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Jojo Moyes - Me Before You. Although the cover suggests it's yet another chicklit, it's truly not.

That's exactly what I said. :)

Last great book I read was Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell.
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    I just finished Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. It's an amazing book. I haven't read anything else by her but I will.
  • timetravelforfitness
    timetravelforfitness Posts: 242 Member
    Lamb, The Gospel According to Biff, Christs Childhood Pal, by Christopher Moore

Loved that book!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Fool's Fate, which is the 3rd in the Tawny Man series, and could be considered either the 6th book a paired series - or the 9th, as the character the Fool is a major but not main character in a third trilogy, so that series is not necessary to the plot (although it is very helpful). Author is Robin Hobb, I can re-read these books forever.
  • foxxyroxy12
    foxxyroxy12 Posts: 25 Member
    I enjoyed the Fault in our Stars but prior to that it was the Dean Koontz novel, The Watchers. It was about a man and a special dog that we evading a beast. It was exciting and heartwarming.
  • KatyRhys
    KatyRhys Posts: 9 Member
    Unwrapped Sky (Caeli-Amur #1)
    by Rjurik Davidson
  • quinnzellah
    quinnzellah Posts: 6 Member
    Bioshock: Rapture by John Shirely

This is based on a videogame and I had my doubts even though the game is amazing, but it is actually a VERY good book.

I cried at the ending. It's set in a dystopian society in a city under the sea. It's sort of a prequel to the videogame so it builds up the characters really well and talks about how Rapture (the city) was built and what happened on that fateful new years night of 1958.
    It explains where it all went wrong and the mutation of the people into the plasmid addicted Splicers.

Even if you have no played the videogame, this book is still very good and I would recommend it to anyone who is say a fan of Ninteen Eighty-four by George Orwell or V For Vendetta by Alan Moore.

Gah, I absolutely loved Shirley's BioShock:Rapture (and huge fan of the BioShock games as well).
  • SpiritBunny
    SpiritBunny Posts: 39 Member
    Madame Bovary by Flaubert
  • oORosadaOo
    oORosadaOo Posts: 97 Member
    Dumbledore's Army and the Year of Darkness (Harry Potter fanfiction written by Andrew Blake/Thanfiction) was really awesome! It was very well written, I couldn't put it down, and it made me laugh out loud one moment and cry like a baby the next. It doesn't happen often anymore that a book truly touches me.

• ParamoreAddict
    ParamoreAddict Posts: 839 Member
    I'm reading A Clash of Kings by George RR Martin right now. I love it!
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks ...very informational but also with a personal story.
  • aryastark8
    aryastark8 Posts: 57 Member
    I read three great books recently (all different genres):
    -"Cutting for Stone" by Abraham Verghese - is one of my favorites now
    -"Big little lies" by Liane Moriatry
    -"The Host" by Stephanie Meyer
  • oORosadaOo
    aryastark8 wrote: »

What did you like especially about The Host? To me it felt almost like part 2 of a trilogy, a lot of wandering around and biding their time until finally the book was over. I liked the end but skipped the whole middle part. :disagree:

• aryastark8
    aryastark8 Posts: 57 Member
    oORosadaOo wrote: »

What did you like especially about The Host? To me it felt almost like part 2 of a trilogy, a lot of wandering around and biding their time until finally the book was over. I liked the end but skipped the whole middle part. :disagree:

I was actually a bit disappointed by the ending, because it felt like an unnaturally forced happy ending. Maybe it should have ended with Wanda dying. There were several things I liked about this book. First, the whole setting was quite amazing: I was fascinated right from the first page (usually it takes me awhile to "get into" the book, and the first few pages are rarely gripping - but not in this case). There were many very emotional moments I enjoyed :smiley:. There was also this impossible situation of 2 couples, with 2 women in the same body, and many interesting ethical and philosophical questions: like what makes you you, can you fall in love with a "soul" regardless of the body? Can you fall in love with a soul of an alien? What would have happened if Wanda was in a different body (say of an older woman)? What is the right solution to this whole situation? There is also this aspect that we sometimes don't empathize with people we perceive as different (like the souls didn't quite empathize with humans at the beginning, and vice versa), but once we get to know them better, we all have something in common (and it was quite amazing that this happened, seeing the situation). Maybe the book was a bit longer than it should have been, but I really enjoyed it and couldn't put it down.
  • Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    If you liked The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, you might want to check out "Your Inner Fish" by Neil Shubin.

The best thing that I finished recently was Cress by Melissa Meyer - it's the 3rd of 4 and Ms. Meyer has matured into a better writer.

I'm currently listening to another one I anticipate being one of my favorite books this year Blue Lily Lily Blue (The Raven Boys Book 3). If you haven't read this series yet, I highly recommend the audiobook version
  • oORosadaOo
    I was actually a bit disappointed by the ending, because it felt like an unnaturally forced happy ending. Maybe it should have ended with Wanda dying. There were several things I liked about this book. First, the whole setting was quite amazing: I was fascinated right from the first page (usually it takes me awhile to "get into" the book, and the first few pages are rarely gripping - but not in this case). There were many very emotional moments I enjoyed :smiley:. There was also this impossible situation of 2 couples, with 2 women in the same body, and many interesting ethical and philosophical questions: like what makes you you, can you fall in love with a "soul" regardless of the body? Can you fall in love with a soul of an alien? What would have happened if Wanda was in a different body (say of an older woman)? What is the right solution to this whole situation? There is also this aspect that we sometimes don't empathize with people we perceive as different (like the souls didn't quite empathize with humans at the beginning, and vice versa), but once we get to know them better, we all have something in common (and it was quite amazing that this happened, seeing the situation). Maybe the book was a bit longer than it should have been, but I really enjoyed it and couldn't put it down.

I wish there was a like button for this comment! :smile:

• Agatefairy
    Agatefairy Posts: 153 Member
    The Ocean at the End of the Lane: A Novel by Neil Gaiman

Has anyone read "The Shining Girls" by Lauren Beukes?
  • "The Art of Racing in the Rain" I forget the author's name, but it's an amazing book, especially if you are a dog lover. It's a story that is portrayed through the eyes of a dog and you experience life with his family throughout his life.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Hi, I'm new here.
    This year has been an odd one for me. Many books were rather so-so. I enjoyed them (some quite a bit) but they didn't wow me in any way.
    The last really good book I read was back in July when I read Hey Nostradamus! by Douglas Coupland. That was a really good read.
  • oORosadaOo
    edited January 2015
    I just finished Lost Lake by Sarah Addison Allen, and it was fantastic!

Like her others (Garden Spells, The Sugar Queen) it's full of magic (similar to Chocolat by Joanne Harris) and lovable characters. The author's affection for her characters oozes from every page. I must find her other books! :heart:
  • The Paradise War by Stephen Lawhead. I couldn't put it down, and immediately went and bought the sequel. ^_^
This discussion has been closed.