Any overnight oas fan around here?

Options
mariluny
mariluny Posts: 428 Member
I discovered overnight oats this summer, best discovery of the decade! But I always do the same variations of recipes. Any suggestions?

I usually do the following:

1/3 cup of large flake oats
1/3 cups of vanilla unsweetened Almond milk
2 overflowing tbsp of plain greek yogurt (about 60g)
1 tbsp of chia seed (about 6-7g)
Splash of vanilla extract

And then a mix of two of the following: as many frozen raspberries or blueberries possible, half a banana, half a yellow mango, handful of cherry

The next day, i’ll add a tsp of maple syrup, honey or jam to sweetened it.

Replies

• iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Mine is the same, but I don't add yogurt (lactose).
  • chefada
    chefada Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup oatmeal
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1 cup of water
    chia
    ground flax
    raisins
    cinnamon
    shredded unsweetened coconut

I've used fresh and frozen fruit too--just not as much as you are using. Endless possibilities :)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    ....for ideas... :drinker:
  • cannonball99
    cannonball99 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Have a look here for some more ideas:
    http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am going to save this idea for next summer. These days I want to start my day with something warm.

I have been working through a box of Red River cereal, 1/4 cup cereal to 1 cup water, cook for 10-15 minutes. I add currants or raisins, and eat it with a dollop of greek yogurt on top. I have also had it with chia.
  • timetravelforfitness
    Options
    Love. I also recommend Dough Boys, from Kath Eats Real Food: http://www.katheats.com/doh
  • sweetest_potato
    sweetest_potato Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I LOVE overnight oats. I just don't like the way cooked oats are... Too mushy and bleh for me.
    My simple to-go recipe is:
    1/2 c. old fashion oats
    1 c. vanilla almond milk
    small teaspoon of brown sugar (can use splenda but it tastes a bit "empty")
    a tiny pinch of salt
    a dash of cinnamon

I tried to use greek yogurt before, but I didn't really like the sour taste it made.

I'm going to try to use this Chobani Pumpkin greek yogurt though tonight for tomorrow's! Hopefully it tastes yummy.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    WHen I could eat them i used to make Steel cut oats in the crockpot overnight. But sadly that ship has sailed for me!
  • sckwee
    sckwee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So Dashingdish.com has a number overnight oatmeal recipes. This one is my favorite: https://dashingdish.com/recipe/pumpkin-pie-overnight-protein-oatmeal/

The almond joy one is pretty tasty too!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I had my first overnight oats (I dressed it up like a parfait with frozen strawberries and blueberries) this morning. I must say it's very good.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    I stick with cooked oats year round.With raisins,brown sugar or maple syrup,mmmmm.
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I love cooked oatmeal, but it doesn't have enough protein to carry me through the morning. Today's was 3/4 serving oats (30g), 1 container dannon light & fit toasted coconut vanilla greek yogurt, & 1 snack container cherry mixed fruit, with a dash of cinnamon. A little too high in sugars for what I usualy allow, but I didn't have any other fruit to put in it today! Approx 260 calories, & it holds me til lunch, with my coffee. I also like putting blueberries, fresh peaches, strawberries--but those are mostly summer fruits.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    i do overnight oats almost daily - generally with greek yogurt and add in some fruit - there is really no limit to the combinations you can make here.

1/2 cup oats
    8 oz plain yogurt (or 5.3 oz containers - depends on what I have on hand)
    whatever fruit I decide to plop in there (generally berries, today was Blueberry pineapple and tomorrow will be pineapple mango with unsweetened coconut)
    2 Tbsp pb2 (or flax or whatever)
    mix it all up and then stumble in the kitchen ravenous in the morning and enjoy a no cook breakfast
  • 454mikey990
    Options
    mariluny wrote: »
    I discovered overnight oats this summer, best discovery of the decade! But I always do the same variations of recipes. Any suggestions?

I usually do the following:

1/3 cup of large flake oats
    1/3 cups of vanilla unsweetened Almond milk
    2 overflowing tbsp of plain greek yogurt (about 60g)
    1 tbsp of chia seed (about 6-7g)
    Splash of vanilla extract

And then a mix of two of the following: as many frozen raspberries or blueberries possible, half a banana, half a yellow mango, handful of cherry

The next day, i’ll add a tsp of maple syrup, honey or jam to sweetened it.

• AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    sckwee wrote: »
    So Dashingdish.com has a number overnight oatmeal recipes. This one is my favorite: https://dashingdish.com/recipe/pumpkin-pie-overnight-protein-oatmeal/

The almond joy one is pretty tasty too!

+1 on this. The Dashing Dish Carrot Cake Overnight Oats is soooo good.

• NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Love oatmeal, never tried the cold over-night version because all the recipes I've seen are sweetened and I'm not fond of sweet cereal. But to make my cooked oatmeal stay with me longer I add one large egg to the water before I add the oatmeal ... and I cook it in the microwave in a 4-cup glass measuring cup. I add different things to it depending on my mood, from bananas to berries, from peanut butter to apples, and even baby spinach and chia seed or hemp protein powder. Really satisfying to me.