Decent Audiobooks for Car Trip with Young Kids?

Options
Posting it here rather than at a parenting group because I want a geeky book, and have found some awesome recommendations here for myself in the past. I'm not worried about things going over their heads (6 and 4), but more about inappropriateness and interest.

I was originally thinking The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland or The Golden Compass, but was hoping there might be some more winners out there. Last road trip we all really enjoyed David Tennant's version of a couple How to Train Your Dragon books, and the time before that the kids listened to a bit of one of Sarah Vowell's books, but not for as long.

Anyone have anything they think we should check out?

Replies

• Silverdracos
    Silverdracos Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'd think the Newbery winners would be a good place to start, and of course my 7 year old just finished reading the 3rd HP. I don't know if I could stand listening to them for hours but last year he read through every Magic Tree House book he could get his hands on. And there's always classics like the Wizard of Oz and The Neverending Story by Michael Ende. I've found my kids will listen to most things on tape, but yeah, beyond awkward to hit a inappropriate passage. Do not listen to "The Time Traveler's Wife" with the kids in the car - My personal experience. :)
  • timetravelforfitness
    Options
    Perfect suggestion with the list! We've done the Magic Treehouse, but I can't stand listening to a chapter. I don't mind reading them, but I can't stand the authors cadence. I love The Neverending Story, it'd be great to share with them. ...and I hear you about the inappropriate. I listened to some of my podcasts when I thought they were asleep...
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    C.S. Lewis's the Chronicles of Narnia. I like #4, A Horse and His boy the most. It's a simple enough story that your young kids could follow, a good introduction to fantasy, and is still a story you won't get annoyed with hearing.
  • mleslngterp
    mleslngterp Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I second the Narnia Chronicles. Fair warning on that one; I had an 'adaptation' that I picked up that wasn't so much a reading...it was more like listening to a play:lots of sound effects, different voice actors, etc. Whoever played Aslan sounded BEYOND goofy and I couldn't enjoy the story lol.

As for Never-Ending story, it's a great read and a great movie, but it just didn't seem to translate as well for me via audio book...maybe its just the one I was listening to, but I found myself bored.

Just my 2 cents. Would love to see what you find. I have a 3 yr old and a 10 month and the oldest is becoming a parrot and asking questions about what he hears...makes NPR interesting.