Almost not diabetic!

Options
kikityme
kikityme Posts: 472 Member
My daily brag! A1C was 4.9! From an 11 in April.

And that was just from an hour walk every day and keeping my carbs even through the day. I never did test (doctor said we'd bring that in if I didn't keep getting better) I don't even own a meter.

Doc wants to wait for another A1C to see if I can get off the meds, but I'm off Janumet/Januvia and on straight metformin once a day. (good for the wallet!)

So, positive Saturday thought-if you think you can't do it, you can.

Replies

• GlucernaBrand
    Options
    This is wonderful news! Congratulations to you for working hard to increase exercise and change your eating habits. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!! My number was 11.4 in April when I was diagnosed. I go to the doctor tomorrow and find out my number. I hope it's close to yours! I would be way too nervous about it not to test everyday. I don't know how you do it.
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    This is such an encouraging report! Congratulations, Kikityme. I like how this group gives us a chance to see how others are managing their disease. I never tested regularly until this summer. It has been eye-opening to see how certain foods impact my 2hr pp test. I WANT to test now so I can see how my daily choices change things. Logging this data has been helpful for my doc as well. I find it interesting how many docs are not having newly diagnosed patients test their BG. I wonder what the thought is behind this.
  • Luizam25
    Luizam25 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    wow...so wonderful!!!
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that! I always thought diabetes was for life, especially since I have the nonstop sweets/starch craving, thirst and poor circulation that it offers, but now I'm encouraged to keep up my new way of life, to stick to it. Thanks and congrats. :flowerforyou:
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    kikityme wrote: »
    My daily brag! A1C was 4.9! From an 11 in April.

And that was just from an hour walk every day and keeping my carbs even through the day. I never did test (doctor said we'd bring that in if I didn't keep getting better) I don't even own a meter.

Doc wants to wait for another A1C to see if I can get off the meds, but I'm off Janumet/Januvia and on straight metformin once a day. (good for the wallet!)

So, positive Saturday thought-if you think you can't do it, you can.
    I just experienced something similar today. Victory is within my grasp!
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    That is freaking amazing! Especially since A1C is supposed to be a 3 month average ....to drop from 11 to 4.9 in one month (or less) ...Wow ...I mean like how sure are they that the 11 wasn't a lab mistake kinda wow ....

Back of a napkin calculations ...
    Given A1c is a 3 month average (which is a generalized statement, not an absolute fact)
    Assuming that BGL for Jan, Feb, March are roughly consistent (an unsupported assumption, maybe January was really high and pulled up the average)
    Assigning the BGL A1C level for April the variable x
    Then your new A1C 4.9=0.3333x + 0.6666*11=0.3333x+7.333326
    4.9-7.333326=0.3333x
    -2.433326=0.3333x
    x=-2.433326/0.3333 = -7.3007

ummmm your average BGL levels in April would have to have been negative? Are you possibly engaged in time travel? Or perhaps an undead creature of the night? (or my above givens and assumptions are entirely incorrect)
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    If you look at the original post date, you'll see she posted in November of 2014. That means her a1c dropped to a 4.9 over 7 months.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Peloton73 wrote: »
    If you look at the original post date, you'll see she posted in November of 2014. That means her a1c dropped to a 4.9 over 7 months.

Ahhh ....DOh! ....That makes muchly more sense then.

Altho having now said it I am oddly intruiged by the concept of a diabetic vampire ....