Pre Op appointments!!!

Options
Djrundle13
Djrundle13 Posts: 54 Member
I go for my pre-op appointments this friday. Meeting with the nurse, nutritionist, psychologist, and surgeon. I could be forgetting someone, but still seems pretty intimidating!!!

I'm nervous, and excited and scared....

what can i or should I expect?

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Mine were spread out over a month or so, but none of them were bad. I believe that they are all geared toward making sure that you have a full understanding of the process, the surgery and the post-op life you are signing up for.

My psych appointment had a questionnaire and then an interview where they ask some sort of profile questions. Everyone in the process wants the best outcome for you, and if there is some pushback, try to understand what they are seeing in you. Ask all of the questions you have, learn as much as you need to to be fully comfortable with your choice.

You'll do great!

Rob
  • wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    No reason to worry---they are just (as Rob said) just to make sure you know everything ahead of time. Donna
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I only met with a psychologist once in the beginning to qualify. The other people I met with separately so maybe a little less overwhelming. Each appointment was very helpful. Write down any questions or concerns that you have so you can discuss it with them. They are all there to help you. I felt good with each person I met with. There is nothing to worry about, they are all there to help you succeed.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    This particular process was similar to OP's...it made for an extremely long day...especially if youre last in line :confused:
    IDK where OP is going but I brought a little cooler/backpack with 1 frozen water bottle and 1 that wasn't (in case I got thirsty before the other melted) plus some small snacks/fruits but don't count on them for napkins or eating utensils!
    Throughout my whole process (from start: required seminar, to finish: at my last informational meeting), I still had to do many other things both at the facility and out.
    Lab work from my own Dr., PT clearance, EKG plus stress test clearance etc etc.
  • Laurac727
    Laurac727 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Good luck please post how it went, please, my apt with two of them is Dec 10th so will be curious to hear
  • Djrundle13
    Options
    I'll update after, and 2BeHappy2, It's a meeting with 3 professionals from 10 am to 2pm.
    thanks for the tip on bringing water and snacks. Good to know.

Anyone know if you'll be off work pre-op and how long post-op? I have a desk job and fairly sedentary
  • readallday
    readallday Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different when it comes to recovery time. I had my sleeve on Wednesday and was back at work for a few hours the following Tuesday, then a half day and then full days. I too have a pretty sedentary job so it worked for me. But your doctor will be able to give you estimates and recommendations.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job too. I took two weeks off even though I didn't have any significant pain and felt pretty good. I got bored though and after a few days I had my boss send me some work to do at home. When I went back to work, it wasn't bad, just felt a little more fatigued than normal but that's pretty common.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I took 4 weeks off, and although I could physically have gone back after a week or two, having the longer time off allowed me to rest more (I slept a ton) and exercise more (the dog loved the daily long walks and then I was also back into the gym before i came back). I know that is not feasible for a lot of people, but I came back to work energized and was right back into the swing of things.
  • benagek
    benagek Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job and I had surgery on Friday and was back to work the following Wednesday. I am able to snack at my desk though and so it wasn't an issue for me to sip protein drinks and work my way through the restrictions. Physically, I felt fine other than some soreness.
  • Djrundle13
    Options
    well, had the meetings and everything is good to go so far!

go back in 3 months and if I keep on the same track, they see no reason to not move forward to the sugery!!!