Anyone tried LDN _ Please Advise

Options
Betti2
Betti2 Posts: 30 Member
edited November 2014 in Social Groups
My new doctor has done bloods, he has suggested adding LDN (Low Does Naltrexone avalaible only at compounding chemists) to my medications as it will address all my Hashimotos problems.
If successful I maybe able to lower my dosage on other medications, apparently it's supposed to be a wonder drug for those of us with Hashimotos & Fibromyalga.
Is there anyone that has tried this medication?
If so please advise if it made any difference

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I have only read up on this as a result of your post. It seems to be a very interesting proposition. There is still little known about what regulates the immune system but this seems to provide some assistance. I found the breadth of conditions in which it can be used rather startling though when you consider LDN has been known of for so many years and it seems to have helped many people. I can understand you wishing for information from someone who knows, has experienced its effects. Possibly you have a doctor who is keeping abreast of developments rather than just going through the motions which is what so many of us put up with.
  • Betti2
    Betti2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My new doctor advised that very little is known about the benefits of LDN in reference to auto immune diseases but it does work. He has about 30 years of experience & he bulk bills...Yay..doesn't cost anything for a visist. At the moment I have T3 Toxicousis so he is trying to correct the situation, am feeling pretty horrible & exhausted at the moment, with continual headaches & virtually unable to sleep.
    I've only been on the new medication for a couple days. It's a wait n see LDN isnt having much affect but I think that's because of all the complications that have arisen...I really would like to get off this horrible merry-go-round.
    I am hoping this doctor may have the answer being so well informed & abreast of all the new developments.
    The old school treatment may not be the best treatment, I guess in a month or so I will soon know.
    I will keep everyone posted, maybe I can help others if the treatment is successful.
    I am already off my thyroid medication for the moment, just a few weeks, bloods will soon tell the story..
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I'm pleased you're keeping so positive. I know it really helps to discover someone who is wanting to get to grips with your issues. I know it can take a while to experience benefits of any change in treatment but I really hope it will not take that long for you this time.

Part of me rejoices, I'm living in the UK, I have the benefits of the NHS and do not have to worry about funding myself. The system has its short comings, as I discovered on Monday, blood was taken only for a T4 test not the span usually recommended. Can't have it all.

Please let us know how you get on. All the best for your next blood tests.
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Hi Betti, I'm curious of your progress and reaction. This was just mentioned to me yesterday at an appointment and I've never heard about it before! My TSH is doing ok but my antibodies are increasing which is why it was recommended to me. I've also being feeling very drained and trouble focusing, etc.
    Just curious how it is going?