Slow losing...is it age?

Options
Hi folks. I've always done atkins with pretty consistent success. Even when I didn't need to loose tons of weight, induction worked great for those moments like coming back from vacation. But recently, I've had much more modest success. Like, 1 lb or less a week. And yes, there are certainly things I can tweak to be even more strict--I'm not eating much cheese, but I know I could cut it out completely, etc, etc. But I'm doing what I have always done and what has always worked for me--even more stringently than I've usually done. In the past, I'd usually only do induction for 7 days (not worrying about controlling cheese or sour cream), and then slide into a one of the higher rungs with no problems. But that isn't what's happening now.

So I can't be the only person on the board who's doing it for the upteenth time and are finding their body responds differently. I'm not necessarily discouraged. I'm at Atkins because I couldn't lose weight predictably (I did that damn whole 30 for 30 damn days and I lost 1/2 a pound; I did the 21 day primal challenge for 20 days and lost 1 lb; don't even talk to me about my experience with pure calorie counting!). And so, this is an improvement--I've lost 1.4 lbs in 10 days. But usually, I'd have lost 5-6 lbs by now. (And please no comments about how 'I must be doing it wrong.' Maybe I am, but that isn't the question I'm asking. I'm asking about other's experiences with changed response to the same diet. If I'm doing it wrong--I've been doing it the same kind of wrong all these years.)

But I am curious. Is this age? Have I screwed up my fat burning metabolic function? I don't even get the 'low carb flu' anymore. I felt a little less energetic but no extreme tiredness, no stinky mouth, no irritability, no headaches. I wonder if that means anything. The one specific difference is that I'm not exercising at all--I have some health problems that I won't go into, and exercising is currently at a standstill. I'm hoping to slowly change that, but its not something I'm doing right now.

Replies

• AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you, & I'm only 33. I completely cut out all dairy (I ate some after the induction period & it sets my abdomen on fire), quit caffeine (I've lost weight quitting caffeine). I did Atkins 2x before & lost the weight easily. 3rd or 4th time later, nothing's happened. I found that I lose weight having no more than 70g protein, but it's been a struggle to stay under without dairy.
    I also have old injuries that prevent me from doing the simple exercises, like walking. I hurt from the waist down all the time. It's been well over a year since I've been to the gym, hurt myself from over training, & can't seem to recover. I started drinking beef bone broth yesterday, & taking probiotic, as well as other vitamins & minerals. I've been to a chiropractor before but I had to stop going so my son could start going (we can't afford both of us to go). Which reminds me I need to take him now!
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Hi folks. I've always done atkins with pretty consistent success. Even when I didn't need to loose tons of weight, induction worked great for those moments like coming back from vacation. But recently, I've had much more modest success. Like, 1 lb or less a week. And yes, there are certainly things I can tweak to be even more strict--I'm not eating much cheese, but I know I could cut it out completely, etc, etc. But I'm doing what I have always done and what has always worked for me--even more stringently than I've usually done. In the past, I'd usually only do induction for 7 days (not worrying about controlling cheese or sour cream), and then slide into a one of the higher rungs with no problems. But that isn't what's happening now.

So I can't be the only person on the board who's doing it for the upteenth time and are finding their body responds differently. I'm not necessarily discouraged. I'm at Atkins because I couldn't lose weight predictably (I did that damn whole 30 for 30 damn days and I lost 1/2 a pound; I did the 21 day primal challenge for 20 days and lost 1 lb; don't even talk to me about my experience with pure calorie counting!). And so, this is an improvement--I've lost 1.4 lbs in 10 days. But usually, I'd have lost 5-6 lbs by now. (And please no comments about how 'I must be doing it wrong.' Maybe I am, but that isn't the question I'm asking. I'm asking about other's experiences with changed response to the same diet. If I'm doing it wrong--I've been doing it the same kind of wrong all these years.)

But I am curious. Is this age? Have I screwed up my fat burning metabolic function? I don't even get the 'low carb flu' anymore. I felt a little less energetic but no extreme tiredness, no stinky mouth, no irritability, no headaches. I wonder if that means anything. The one specific difference is that I'm not exercising at all--I have some health problems that I won't go into, and exercising is currently at a standstill. I'm hoping to slowly change that, but its not something I'm doing right now.
    TAT & ARNA;

Yes, yes, and yes.
    It IS entirely possible that you are each doing everything "right" (according to the specific "plan" you are adhering to) and still not seeing the "results" you expect (or did previously).

We ARE all "different" and what works for one person won't, necessarily, work for someone else. Sometimes even a very small (maybe 5g's) change in one macro or another will be enough to "block" progress.

Sometimes one "version" of LCHF will "work" for you, and sometimes one won't, but another will.

Rather than get into the "details" of each of your specific "cases" here, I'd suggest you (both) consider taking a look at the Low Carber Daily Group.
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group

Scroll down past the (long) list of "announcements" (they are outdated and currently in the process of being revised by one of the "regulars") to the threads.

There you will find not only intelligent discussion of the various "options" but a truly diverse and dedicated group of individuals ready, willing, and able to assist you to whatever degree you'd like.

Some of the "regulars" are dedicated "Atkins" (in the traditional form), others focus on various forms of LCHF which differ from the traditional "A-way" but ALL are accepting and supportive of those who elect to utilize any form of LCHF.

The group is MUCH more "active" than many others (this one e.g.) and it's typically a matter of hours (at most) before you would receive a response to your posts (not "days" as it is here).

I can promise that you'll be welcomed with open arms and while you will, undoubtedly, receive "suggestions" (if you ask for them) on changes you might make to improve your individual results - you will NOT be told (ever), that "...you must be doing something wrong".

Take a look, it's free, and you have nothing to lose
    (oops....bad "pun", sorry <G>).

• tatiianag13
    tatiianag13 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks, deans dad. I'm already a member of that group too! So maybe I'll post there instead. Although, at the moment, I'm okay with my slow-but-steady pace. I'm at a place where the things I imagine I could tweak, I'm not really willing or able to change at the moment anyway. I was just kind of curious. As well as momentarily discouraged.
  • Semifredo
    Semifredo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am 25. 2 years ago I was losing weight like crazy doing keto and working out at home. Now I workout with a personal trainer twice a week and do cardio 3 times a week and there are times when my weight is the same for 2 weeks. Nothing changes. Everybody kept telling me to eat more ( your metabolism is slow, you are starving ) but in the end what helped me was to eat LESS kcal for 2-3 days. I also take a fat burner ( pills with green tea, bitter orange and guarana extract)