December Challenge ~ December 1st --December 7th

Options
cpanus
cpanus Posts: 19,448 Member
Let's do it again. If you don't have a kettlebell use a hand weight.

Kettlebells are great for cardio, strength, and flexibility training . Start by picking up the weight of your choice—women usually grab between eight and 16 kg weights. Reps and sets will depend on intensity and fitness levels, for most of these moves, we recommend aiming for 3-5 sets of 10-30 reps with good form. Ready to rock? Let’s give these kettlebells a swing, snatch, or clean!

1. Russian Kettlebell Swing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUpSFguwRQM
Targets: Shoulders, back, hips, glutes, legs
Level: Beginner

How to: To do the perfect kettlebell swing, stand up straight, with feet a bit wider than hip-distance apart. Grab the handle with both hands, keeping the palms face down and arms in front of the body. Maintain a slight bend to the knee and drive the hips back, lowering the body—but not too low (this isn't a squat!). Then, in a fluid motion, explosively drive the hips forward while swinging the kettlebell, keeping the glutes and core engaged. Remember: The motion should come from the hips, not the arms, as the body returns to standing. Lower the weight back down between the legs and keep this swinging motion going for 12 to 15 reps.

2. Single-Arm Kettlebell Swing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8uI-EopErw
Targets: Shoulders, back, hips, glutes, legs
Level: Beginner-Intermediate

How to: This movement is just like the two-handed swing, but uses one hand at a time. Swing the kettlebell up with one arm, but still swing the other arm to help drive momentum. Alternate hands when the kettlebell is behind the legs; aim for 10 to 12 reps with each arm.

3. Two-Arm Kettlebell Row https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEpLAZNED0s
Targets: Back, arms, shoulders
Level: Beginner-Intermediate

How to: Grab two kettlebells for this one. (Double the pleasure, double the fun, right?) Place them in front of the feet and bend the knees slightly. Next, bend over to grab both kettlebells and pull them towards the stomach, keeping the elbows close to the body and the back straight. Lower the weights, repeat for 12 to 15 reps max, feel like a champ.

4. Kettlebell Figure-8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr7niYklRC0
Targets: Arms, back, abs
Level: Intermediate

How to: Looking to impress a certain someone at the gym? Then try this: Start with legs a bit wider than hip-width distance apart, and lower yourself into a quarter-squat position. (Keep that back straight and chest up!) Grab the kettlebell with the left hand and swing it around the outside of the left leg and then back between the legs. Next, pass the kettlebell to the right hand and swing it around the outside of the right leg. Keep this motion going, similar to the classic basketball drill! Can you do a minute straight? (Be sure to switch directions half-way through!)

5. Kettlebell Goblet Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvVPrpusmrk
Targets: Legs, glutes, back

How to: What’s a squat without a kettlebell in hand? Stand up straight, holding the kettlebell in front of the chest with both hands, keeping the elbows close to the body. Start squatting by driving the heels into the ground and pushing the hips back until the thighs are parallel to the ground or just below. Return to standing, and repeat for 15-20 reps (or more!) Just remember: quality over quantity!

6. Kettlebell Russian Twist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd9rJNANXPs
Targets: Abs, obliques

How to: Forget crunches. Sit with the legs bent and feet flat on the floor, about hip-distance apart. Hold the kettlebell with both hands at the chest, and then lean back to a 45 degree angle. Here’s the fun part: Rotate the torso from left to right by twisting at the waist and swinging the kettlebell across the body. See how many you can do, with perfect form of course!

I looked each one up on youtube, so have a look. Let me know what you think.

Have a great week.

Chris

Replies

• zumbaforever
    zumbaforever Posts: 6,901 Member
    Options
    I went to Zumba tonight. I did lots of of moves. But no kettles tonight. :cold_sweat: I promise that tomorrow will have lots of swinging and squats! :smiley:

Shelley
  • cpanus
    Options
    I wrote earlier but didn't save it! Rats!

Shelley - hope you had fun at Zumba. Love the cute guy in your picture.

Hit the gym w/DD and our trainer. A lot of weights! Everything is shaky! I think we covered everything in our workout two or three or four times! I got all my steps in and my calorie count is good.

I hope everyone is doing great.

Chris
  • claram5415
    claram5415 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Got really busy so didn't get to write anything for a few days, but the family is gone and things are back to normal.
    Shelly you asked about my picture. When Lyndon Johnson was governor of Texas, his wife started a wildflower project where native wildflower seeds were strewn along the highways. It's still going on. I'm standing in a field of Texas bluebonnet flowers, but I can see why you thought they were violets. I'll try to insert some more wildflower pictures later.

Going to do the kettleball workout some more this week as I liked it.
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    I love the wild flowers project! Clara thank you for sharing.

Chris you are so going to rock your dress! :blush:

Zumba was a blast. :smiley: And the little guy is still doing OK. Hard to sometimes tell when I just got him and have never had one before. He appears to be eating though. I did a water change tonight as a precautionary move. I want his water to be really stable.

Chris I did the workout, X3. Love doing it.

Shelley
  • cpanus
    Options
    Glad you like the workout. We just spent four...count them four hours in the Verizon Store getting new phones...I love my new phone, but I am beat. No exercises for me. My steps are a pitiful 4,400. I'll get back to it tomorrow.

Oh, we are having our Christmas pot luck tomorrow. Wish me luck. :#

Ta Ta For Now!

Chris
  • claram5415
    Options
    f4mhca5bfu0b.jpg

If I did this right, here's a picture of Texas bluebonnets up close.
  • claram5415
    Options
    Chris, good luck with the potluck tomorrow. Get some healthy stuff, have a little dessert and enjoy!
  • lcarls71
    lcarls71 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Finally all settled back in from vacation!!!

Lost my FitBit the night before we left so I was going crazy not knowing my steps. Must have hit my targets because I came home 2.2 lbs lighter :smiley: We did a TON of walking and stairs everyday except for maybe two. And managed to get some body surfing in two days in a row before the cold front came in and brought the chilly winds with it :sob: It was windy enough that we had on capris and long sleeves for like 3 or 4 days.

Still working the OT as it will be ending soon. Lots of year end stuff to get done so the extra $$ is welcomed. Haven't been to the gym but have been trying to get the challenges done at home.

Food choices have been BLECH at best. Need to work on getting back on track with my veggies and such.

Glad to see everyone is hanging in there and had such a good holiday.

Lynnette
  • cpanus
    Options
    Clara -- Beautiful!!

Lynnette -- Congrats on the -2.2 pounds! Used to body surf when I was a teen...that's when I learned total respect for the ocean...it wanted me to stay...I needed to breathe.

Yesterday messed us up exercise-wise. Both DD and I had chores we had to get done tonight that we would have done last night except for the stay-over at Verizon. No exercising tonight either.

The potluck went really well. You all would have been very proud of me. I take a slow cooker full of my chicken/bean soup to all of these events...it is requested...but I always have my serving set aside. I eat that. I did have one thin slice of 7-Up cake. My friend's mother makes this 7-Up cake that is the absolute world's best! She won't give up the recipe either. If my friend brings it, I will have a slice. That was the ONLY thing from the potluck that I had! There was so much food...so many good cooks. But I am determined.

We do have the gym tomorrow. I was really sore yesterday and a bit sore today so tomorrow's workout will be good.

Hope you all have a great Thursday.

Chris
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    Nice job Chris! It is not easy to be good at potlucks! Bit you did it! :grinning: I was with my mom when she updated her phone. Not an easy task. I was so bored. And grateful I do not have one. So no worries on the missed workout. I am sure standing for hours counts.

Clara they look like little lupine. So pretty!

Lynette congratulations on the weight loss. I think I know what you will be getting for Christmas. Losing your FitBit must be like losing a cell phone. :open_mouth:

I did zumba last night. Then we had to go shopping. It was a good day.

Shelley

• kimjutjor
    kimjutjor Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Beautiful flowers Clara

Great potluck willpower Chris

Work Christmas candy dishes are out here and that is a challenge around the clock. I know now that one peanut M&M is about 10 calories so I have allowed myself to have 10 each day. Let's see if I can stay within my limit

My exercise has been low as usual, but on a high note, I finally have a full functioning box-free kitchen from our move over the summer. We cooked a full Thanksgiving meal and it is wonderful to have one room in the house that is in order. Now to tackle the other rooms.

Kim
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies. Glad to see you all have been doing so great. I needed to take some time away for myself. I have been exercising...mostly tennis. :) I've missed you all especially the encouragement and support. I'm ready to jump back in and work toward my goals.

Hope everyone enjoyed the holiday. My mother and my aunt from Buffalo spent 3 days at my home and it was wonderful. My mom informed me that I was hosting Christmas this year so I'm on it. The good thing is when im cooking and really busy I eat a lot less. It should be fun...I love having the nieces & nephew and greats at my house. They keep me young ;)

The really great news I haven't gained and I'm ready to hit Onederland very soon. I know with your support I can get there.

Good to be back,
    Kathy
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,705 Member
    Options
    Kathy, congratulations on your progress!

I tried the kettleball routine. It was fun. Missed the part about 3-5 reps. Oopsies. :wink:

Mom's gone home. Dealing with MIL issues now. Still waiting for the fun/busy craziness to end. (Like waiting for Godot, never gonna happen.) Love my family. Wishing you all the best.

Paula
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    Paula you little stinker! You missed it on purpose. :wink: craziness going to end? Nopey nope nope, this is life. :smiley:

Kathy that is great! Keep us posted. You can do it. You are so lucky to have your family there. My daughter lives only a few blocks away. And they are hosting Christmas this year. :blush:

Kim moving enables you to get rid of things. I love where I live right now. But I really need to go through things. Get rid of anything with more than an inch of dust! :lol: lots of luck with the others!

More shopping last night. I will make up for it tonight.

Shelley
  • cpanus
    Options
    Paula -- I do the same thing. hmmmm...I don't know how I miss that either.

Kathy -- just keep moving. You're doing great!

Kim -- We've been here two and a half years and the garage is still full of moving boxes that have not been unpacked. We lived in our last house 20 years. OMG! there was/is so much!! That's one of the first things we 'say' we're going to tackle when we retire in March.

This has been a crazy week...no exercise to speak of except Monday! Thursday DD had to take Bean to the vet because he has flea bites on his tail and has licked it bald and raw. The vet gave him meds and spray. I spent time at Verizon again picking up our back ordered merchandise. I had Bean from 11:00 yesterday and ended up sitting with him to make sure he stayed away from his tale. We had our security screen put in yesterday...another four wonderful hours.

Finally, this morning DD and I hit the gym then I walked with DH and Bean for a good long while. We have Bean for a puppy sleepover tonight. DH and I are walking with Bean in the morning then DD and I are getting our hair cut and our hairdresser is going to do DD's hair how it will look for the wedding.

DD and I went for dress fittings today. All I can say is that the gym is working. My dress fits a little nicer than the last time I had it on.

14 days until the wedding...
    115 days until retirement...

Hope everyone has a great Sunday.

Chris
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Good morning, my team has a make-up tennis match today...rained out yesterday. I'm not playing but going to support. Yesterday I walked 2 miles in the morning then my buff and I went Christmas shopping and got more steps in. I haven't tried the challenge yet but I may this evening after the match.

Chris - how time flies...15 days...wow.

On a side note - I plan to be on MFP more often. I realized my success comes when I'm active and supporting others and getting the positive feedback from my friends. Life happens but I have to remember to take care of me.

Kathy
  • claram5415
    Options
    Kathy, good for you! We're glad to have you here.
    Chris, I feel jealous. My daughter lives in Baton Rouge, 6 hours from me in the Houston suburbs. When I retire, in 9 years, I plan to move closer to my daughter so we can do more stuff together. I know 9 years is a bit, but if it flies like the last 8, when I moved here, it will be here before I know it.
    Loving my new job! Had a Community Open House at my new library yesterday and it was packed. Had Santa and Mrs. Claus in the Children's area, lots of fun.
    Stayed away from the cookies both then and at the Christmas concert last night.
    Hope poor Bean feels better soon.
    Kim, we always have customers and volunteers bringing cakes and goodies to the library staff. I have to stay out of the staff lounge. And there are candy dishes also!
    Have a great Sunday everyone.
  • lcarls71
    lcarls71 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Chris we definitely have a respect for the ocean and it's currents. My mom has always made sure we understood natures force. She was pulled under as a child in Lake Erie and spit out quite a ways from where the current grabbed her. Scariest thing ever to happen to her she said.
    Potlucks are sooo very tempting. So many good hearty foods to taste and share. Always a challenge making good choices. Good job.

Shelley I feel absolutely lost without my FitBit. Hoping Santa realizes how much I really enjoyed my little FitBit. Hoping for some Kettlebells also. Should I start with 10# or maybe 20#?

Clara the flowers look like they smell delightful. I can see just fields and fields of them being beautiful. Like a sea on land.

Kathy great job keeping on track. The holidays are always a challenge so no gain is as good as a loss. Congrats and keep your eye on that prize.

Kim, Chris is right, moving is an awesome time to purge the old. My rule is if the box hasn't been gone into or unpacked in a year it goes. Just took a few boxes of household things and decor items to our local City Mission. Made the mistake of opening them though and kept a couple of things from when our daughter was little.

Paula family is so complicated sometimes. {{{{hugs}}}}

Clara Glad to hear the new library is going so well.

Stretching and abs today for me until I can do the challenge with some weight. Enjoy your day ladies. Stay warm it is chilly here in PA.

Lynnette

• PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,705 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Lynnette, My mother was terribly afraid of water too. Because she couldn't swim and wouldn't be able to rescue us, she made sure we could swim like fish and save ourselves. #worry=love

My 10# kettleball is at the guest house, so I will do the workout with dumbbells.

So excited for you Chris! Seasonal nuptials and looking good.

Shelley, I can't help being a stinker :bigsmile: take after my peers!

Best!
    Paula
  • cpanus
    Options
    Bwahahah! Peers must stick together at all times!

Thanks, Paula and Thanks, Lynnette.

Lynnette - I got the Fitbit Surge yesterday! Some special deal Fitbit was offering. It's so much fun but it's a big darn watch!! I have to decide what will be my main device for the dashboard because you can only sync one. I love being able to see everything on my wrist without having to lift my shirt to check the time.

Clara - Thanks, Bean is better. He had medicine for his tail. And good job staying away form the cookies, and I'm so glad your happy with your new job! I love having my daughter so close.

Kathy - tennis is a great sport. I tried it once...my knees couldn't take it. I was sad to stop taking lessons.

Walked w/DH and Bean this morning...we watched the fog roll in...so eerie! Then walked by myself for an hour then did our challenge with a bunch of steps in between. I'm good for the weekend!!

Hope everyone has a great Monday.

Chris