Questions about recording

Options
Swissmiss
Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
I am logging in my food here at MFP. Since I am wearing a Fitbit that tracks my activity, do I need to log any activity at MFP also?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    It doesn't track non-step based activity very accurately at all, the formula's for calorie burn are for steps like walking/running.

You must manually log non-step based exercise on MFP or Fitbit to correct badly underestimated calorie burn.

Swimming should be obvious. Several topics lately discuss this, just scan titles.
  • oriole35
    oriole35 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I find logging the exercise I do at the gym is easier in MFP.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I walk a lot during the week and do very little of anything else.
  • holybell
    holybell Posts: 69 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    So I won't see any number in the exercise part of the equation if I am just walking? Because I have yet to see any changes from 0. I don't see any change in my deficit at the end of the day. It just looks as if I ate all day and did nothing. Help!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    holybell wrote: »
    So I won't see any number in the exercise part of the equation if I am just walking? Because I have yet to see any changes from 0. I don't see any change in my deficit at the end of the day. It just looks as if I ate all day and did nothing. Help!

Adjustments have nothing specific to do with exercise.

If your total daily burn from Fitbit (which may or may not include exercise) is NOT more than what MFP estimated from your selection of activity level without exercise - then there will be no positive adjustment.

If you selected Sedentary on MFP (did you?), and you are walking, and Fitbit is syncing to MFP, and you get no positive adjustment.

Then you are really sedentary.

You could do a really intense hard workout for 1 hr, burn 1000 calories, and then sleep 3 extra hours and sit around 3 extra hours because of that workout.
    And get no positive adjustment.

You could do no exercise, but shop all day walking, and get a big positive adjustment.
  • holybell
    holybell Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    holybell wrote: »

Adjustments have nothing specific to do with exercise.

If your total daily burn from Fitbit (which may or may not include exercise) is NOT more than what MFP estimated from your selection of activity level without exercise - then there will be no positive adjustment.

If you selected Sedentary on MFP (did you?), and you are walking, and Fitbit is syncing to MFP, and you get no positive adjustment.

Then you are really sedentary.

You could do a really intense hard workout for 1 hr, burn 1000 calories, and then sleep 3 extra hours and sit around 3 extra hours because of that workout.
    And get no positive adjustment.

You could do no exercise, but shop all day walking, and get a big positive adjustment.

Thanks for the explanation, heybales. I found out what the problem was. MFP hadn't synced my fitbit account with the app so it looked as if I wasn't walking. I can finally see the step counter and fitbit exercise listed on my app now. But you still explained something I was worried about. :)