New

Options
Hi, I joined this group a little bit ago but didn't introduce myself (at least I don't think I did). My name is Rebecca and I have had PCOS since I was 16. I am still learning new things every day about it. I could always use support or friends who understand the struggle.

Rebecca

Replies

• IAmToria
    Options
    Hi Rebecca :)
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Hello Rebecca! welcome to the PCOS board!
  • RebeccaMaunder
    RebeccaMaunder Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Greetings!
  • bewright09
    bewright09 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello, ladies! I have been on MFP for awhile now, but I have not reached out to any groups yet. I would love some PCOS support and am happy to provide my own knowledge and experiences to others. Feel free to add me!
  • brideofsuperman
    brideofsuperman Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi Rebecca, from another Rebecca. I am new here too (but not to MFP).
  • cassie311
    cassie311 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm new to this too. I just got diagnosed with PCOS so unfortunately it's all very new to me.
  • A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    All of you that are new feel free to add me :) I'm a half decent resource, my best advice however is look through the posts in this group tons of great information! Pay attention to Dragonwolf's posts, she's the most helpful information around!

Good luck ladies, you can do this!
  • fancycakemaker
    fancycakemaker Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am new to the group as well. Feel free to add me!
  • RebeccaMaunder
    RebeccaMaunder Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Anyone can feel free to add me :)
  • amalley71
    amalley71 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am Alicia. I have been diagnosed since i am 17. Now that I'm 43 i can't get weight off. I can't take any of the typical meds because i have side effects. I am glad to be in a group with others who understand.
  • malitesson
    malitesson Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Mali, I have been diagnosed for 4/5 years now but until recently wasn't doing anything to manage it. I have lost 45 pounds on my own but things have slowed and I'm looking to actually take charge of my body and treat without having to see a Dr. I live in Alaska and its basically non existent to have a Dr. here who knows how to treat without medication.
  • A_Dabauer
    Options
    Congratulations on the success so far!

I'd personally start with inositol powder. If you look through other recently topics Dragonwolf explains very nicely it's benefits. I live in Canada and buy mine online it's affordable (about 50 dollars for a two month supply.)

Depending on you other symptoms/concerns would depend on what else you might want to add as an additional supplement.

How did you lose your weight so far? Have you been using low carb? For most of us that's the only way to lose weight. If you've not tried low carb I'd suggest watching your carb macro, then gradually reduce it until your weightloss starts again. Everyone's carb tolerance is different but most of us need to stay between 50 to 100 grams of carbs per day.

Good luck!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    A_Dabauer wrote: »

I'd personally start with inositol powder. If you look through other recently topics Dragonwolf explains very nicely it's benefits. I live in Canada and buy mine online it's affordable (about 50 dollars for a two month supply.)

Depending on you other symptoms/concerns would depend on what else you might want to add as an additional supplement.

How did you lose your weight so far? Have you been using low carb? For most of us that's the only way to lose weight. If you've not tried low carb I'd suggest watching your carb macro, then gradually reduce it until your weightloss starts again. Everyone's carb tolerance is different but most of us need to stay between 50 to 100 grams of carbs per day.

Good luck!

Glad you found that little write-up helpful. :)

I don't know if it's the same one you get, but I use this brand of Inositol. I just checked it on amazon.ca and it's $48CAD, but I know a couple people in the US paying $50USD for a pound/half kilo, and that's just insane when it can be found for about half that price. (Figured I'd mention it, since I had someone come to me and ask, because she had been getting one that was that expensive.)

Also, some people have found that going below 50g carbs helps, too. So if you're getting only limited results from 50-100g carbs, it may be useful to consider dropping down under 50g, and see if that helps. I wrote up a few things on macro suggestions in several past posts (and one of these days, I'll put them into a post on my blog) which you can seek out for full details, but if you drop carbs, make sure to increase fats. Protein is not fuel, and low carb, low fat, high protein is a recipe for disaster.
  • ashley51113
    ashley51113 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Rebecca! Sending a friend request your way!
  • jfoamy
    jfoamy Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm also new to MFP, looking for support for my PCOS struggle. I am on a high protein/low carb diet in combination with Metformin and Phentermine. I work out everyday starting 1/3/2014. Anyone feel free to add me.
  • kirstieannlittle
    kirstieannlittle Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Heyyy im very new to all this :) feel free to add me we can all support each other :)!
  • bdawso88
    bdawso88 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Good luck!

I don't know if it's the same one you get, but I use this brand of Inositol. I just checked it on amazon.ca and it's $48CAD, but I know a couple people in the US paying $50USD for a pound/half kilo, and that's just insane when it can be found for about half that price. (Figured I'd mention it, since I had someone come to me and ask, because she had been getting one that was that expensive.)

Also, some people have found that going below 50g carbs helps, too. So if you're getting only limited results from 50-100g carbs, it may be useful to consider dropping down under 50g, and see if that helps. I wrote up a few things on macro suggestions in several past posts (and one of these days, I'll put them into a post on my blog) which you can seek out for full details, but if you drop carbs, make sure to increase fats. Protein is not fuel, and low carb, low fat, high protein is a recipe for disaster.

So you prefer the powdered inositol as opposed to the pills? Also, how much do you take?
  • kaitcb92
    kaitcb92 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I am new to MFP and this group (obviously..) and PCOS! Looking forward to seeing what you all have to say and reading back to some discussions to learn more!
  • A_Dabauer
    Options
    bdawso88 wrote: »
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Good luck!

So you prefer the powdered inositol as opposed to the pills? Also, how much do you take?

Dragonwolf is the expert, but from my understanding the pills are at a much higher dosage, and are used at that strength for anxiety disorders.

I'm not sure the impact of taking the pills would be for someone with pcos.

As for dosage, my ND started me a 8 grams (about a tablespoon) a day and now I'm taking 12 grams.