Question...

Options
It's safe to say the last few weeks I've not been trying, lost my motivation and was binge eating way too much, even felt so ashamed that I stopped logging what I was eating. I suffer with depression and a personality disorder as well and it all got on top of me for a while.

I'm trying to get back into it now, and have a question about LCHF. What do you allow yourself daily? My settings are currently on 50% carb 20% protein 30% fat and wonder what you could recommend changing them to? I definitely need to educate myself more about this!

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Mine are set to 12% carbs, 20% protein and 67% fats. If i stick to it, or keep the carbs even lower, i feel good and lose decently.

The higher fats really do help with cravings and hunger. I make cream cheese clouds and a yummy chocolate cake with almond flour in the microwave, or whip up heavy cream and have it on jello when i have sweet cravings.
  • IAmToria
    Options
    Thanks for the reply and advice :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Mine's at 10c/20p/70f right now. It works out to 50g of carbs.

There are a couple of things to note with switching to this way of eating:

1. Not everyone can immediately drop their carbs and have it work out. Some do better dropping a little at a time ("walking" the number down every week or two). Either way is okay, and to try one way and find it not working out is not a failure on your part. Just take it one step at a time and it'll come easier as time goes by.
    2. If you're going from actually eating 50% carbs, then dropping down to LCHF levels (even the high end of LCHF) is going to be a shock to the system (even more so if you were eating heavily refined carbs and your carb sources are now no longer refined ones). Here's a general timeline of what happens when you drop the refined carbs. This transition period is often referred to as "carb flu," "induction flu," or "keto flu," because the symptoms are often very flu-like.

I recommend checking out the Low Carber Daily forum group. It's a great group of people that can help with the details of LCHF.
  • IAmToria
    Options
    Thank you! :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    My endocrinologist has me at at 25% carbs, 35-55% fat, and the balance in protein (45-20)...depending. Admittedly, right now, I'm not eating that...but somewhere in this general range (between us ladies!) is what is considered LCHF, etc. I just know if I drop my carbs as lows as either lady above, I have the major bowel side effects of Metformin, which is another level of hell for me...so I'm slightly above these counts for the moment. I'm working on bringing my fats up, which makes it tons easier to get the carbs down...and protein to balance. I'm going to check out the resources above for me, too!