Dec 7-Dec 13 Check In Challenge Thread

Options
carolssalva
carolssalva Posts: 546 Member
Week 2!
Congrats on being here! Just the fact that you are thinking about your health...that is a win. It's the first step. Keep it up. You are doing great and you are inspiring others!

Replies

• Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday Folks! Gonna be a great day. Up early to get some work in on my Primal Cert. Gonna Call me Mum today as well. Life is good.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    Here is a bit of news that I'm pretty stoked about
    Just checked my BF% using Covert Bailey Method, 20.7% Woooo Hooot! Down 3% in the last two months though weight has been stable. Lifting really heavy only once per week, Dead lift Day. Moderate on 2nd day with home tools, and getting 10-12K Steps per day. Waist size didn't change but hips (waist is now 2" smaller than Hips) up 1.5" Calf .5", Thigh 1", forearm ,25" Very Surprised at this result and checked all measurements twice again after first result. Lifting heavy pays off at any age.
    So I will complete this lifting cycle in two weeks. Deload for the last two weeks of the year. Next cycle I'm thinking of switching my heavy day to upper body and more maint on the dead lifts and see how that goes. Will do some 'spoon carving" as well and tighten up on my Nutritional intake.
    For me the biggest lesson here is that even with advancing age, and the structural damage I have, a minimal approach to lifting heavy pays off in a big way for both health and wellness.
  • kc9ljo
    kc9ljo Posts: 19
    Options
    Still here. Thanks for the inspiration everyone!
  • beerbikegirl
    beerbikegirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Post CarbNite Sunday. A little bit of ugh. THo it was fun while it lasted. And reminds me of how I used to feel nearly every morning. Not complaining mind you, just noting.

That said not overly motivated to go to yoga. Have 10 minutes to change this frame of mind. Think I just stayed up too late and I'm tired.
  • kilosierra83
    kilosierra83 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Morning all, busy day but I'm here.
  • beerbikegirl
    beerbikegirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Just saw a couple of things in last week's thread...

Tindercd - I do have fat calipers. And I suppose I could use them. However, I have had them used on me (not mine, so called professional ones by a professional trainer) with questionable results. The first time I weighed 60 lbs more than now and was told my bf% was less than current. And again about a week after the DEXA scan and there was nearly a 10pt diff between the two. Maybe I just carry my body fat differently than the calipers can read??? The kinesiology department of a local university does the scans.

One of the added bonuses is they show bone density also- which for a peri menopausal 54yo women is a big deal. At a recent yearly check with my Ob/gun he started blathering about hormone replacementherapy despite me being asymptomatic "for my bones". I was able to shot back that I'd had a Dexa scan in last 60days and gave a bone density better than the avg 20 yo women and off the charts for women my age. (Both the lack of typical symptoms of women my age and the bone density I attribute to my diet and lifestyle)

Kris - yes at the time I hated Walden in high school. And now am hugely drawn to being outdoors, in the woods, in the mountains. That change from craving urban environments (which I do still love) to needing to be outdoors in the still of nature is somewhat recent, last few years. Like I said probably need to re-read. I also just through the first few "episodes" of a podcast reading Whitmans Leaves of Grass on my phone. Will listen walking.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    10 mile run this morning... On the treadmill. Blech! But now I'm enjoying a leisurely lunch with Scott.
  • easmythcrna
    easmythcrna Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Ah, Sunday. Went a little crazy last night at the company Christmas party. Back on the wagon today.
  • carolssalva
    Options
    Aaron: are there any incriminating printouts from the copy room?
  • kris3b
    kris3b Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday All. Late check in.

Kim, I want to do a Dexa scan. Congrats on the bone density. I had mine not too long ago and it was pretty good. Relieved considering my years with an ED. I am entering peri menopause and am one who doesn't want to take anything. It is still sporadic, but not too bad. Oooo, Whitman is a favorite of mine. A great line from that poem is "Have you heard that it was good to gain the day? I also say it is good to fall—battles are lost in the same spirit in which they are won." I still dream of living in NYC. I love the crazy energy of a big city:)

Stacy, congrats on that run. Jealous!

End of the day was rough for me. Cleaned and the BF went to do grocery shopping. He is the grocery shopper and cook. I know, lucky me:) Anyways we had discussed how I wanted to cut way down on cheese and carbs. Guess what is in the house today? About 5 pounds of cheese (every variety), Munchos, Doritos, corn chips, cherry sour balls, dips... To top it off a fruit cobbler was baked last night. Came out of my shower to grilled cheese and mac and cheese. LOL, well kind of funny. I skipped the mac and cheese and had half the sandwich, but that made for some tension. Ended up being rather down last night. I feel bad about switching stuff up and I totally understand when he says "you deserve it, you're working out" but I just don't feel strong enough to stop. I didn't cave but felt bad about not having cobbler. It's hard.

Anyways, today was a new day. I woke up looking like the Pillsbury Doughboy because my kidneys are acting up. My eyes were almost completely swollen shut. All is good now. I took a diuretic and consumed a ton of water. Weighed in and that 8 pound loss is still there. Phew! It is primarily water, but I'll take it! No workout today. Instead I did more insane cleaning. Fighting the munchies

Wishing everyone a fabulous week!
  • carolssalva
    Options
    Hang in there Kris! You are not alone. And if we get past the cravings... if December doesn't kill us... It will only make us stronger. We got this!!
  • CarolinaPura
    CarolinaPura Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm here!
    I know I'm a week late but,I will do it anyway!!
  • jenniferyounginillinois
    Options
    My first post here thanks to watching Carol with Nick on Practically Tactical yesterday. :)

This may seem funny but I had an apple AND a banana today. That's more fruit in one day than probably the past month. :)
  • tindercd
    tindercd Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Checking in...rest day today. Had a little too much fun last night so I've been nursing that all day. Tomorrow is another 3 miler and my ankles/calves are wound up really tight. Looks like for the next 30 minutes I'll be using my lacrosse ball to loosen 'em up. If you hear a noise it's just me yelling profanities :).
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    Noel and Jen Welcome Home.

Chris - I'll be joining the chorus tomorrow, Monday is a Lacrosse ball and foam roller day for me.

Kris - Hang in there kiddo.

Stacy - Good ol days 10 milers hurt but they hurt soooo good!

C ya'all tomorrow.
  • jeffreyschmitt34
    jeffreyschmitt34 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Day 7 Rough day hung over
  • kris3b
    kris3b Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Welcome Noel and Jen! Was that you I heard screaming Chris??? :) Must have been a fun party Jeffrey. Drink lots of water!

Thanks Carol and John. I feel good tonight. Almost made it to 1000 cals and I have zero cravings right now. Hunted around for a new strength training routine. I am in the mood to blindly follow something for awhile. Excited to start tomorrow. Found two on Bodybuilding.com. Was going to do the LiveFit 12-week trainer again, but the end has a ton of plyo and I can't do it with my knee. Thinking either Kris Gethin's 12-week plan or Marc Megna's 8-week plan. hmmmm?
  • leopardprintaholic
    Options
    Hi Guys! Well, I'm new to Mfp (as of today), but joined to track my macros AND because I heard Carol mention this awesome community on her podcast! <3 Blessings to all you "losers" :D
  • heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Quick check in. Took the doggies to a all husky play date. Pretty cool seeing 30 huskies running around, then gave our foster a bath. Big day for him today! Lots of new experiences.
  • kilosierra83
    kilosierra83 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    welcome to all the new guys!