Motivation, Support and Accountability Thread, December 8th - 14th

Options
Italian_Buju
Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
Good day folks!

I had a pretty good week last week, more good than bad (5/2)....but, here, we cannot look behind us if we want to keep moving forward!

So, with that in mind, what are your goals this week? What do you want to add, or keep doing to enhance what you did last week?

For myself, these are my goals:

1. I want to keep logging daily. I did five out of seven days last week.

2. Get to the gym at least twice, if I can, a third time. I did twice last week.

3. Try and get to the 10,000 step mark on my fitbit at least five days. I hit it three days last week, with a fourth day being only about 100 steps away.

4. Try and get to bed by 10pm, and to read most nights instead of just watching netflix in bed. I failed at this one completely last week......but that is not going to stop me from trying again.....

Looking forward to hearing about everyone else! Notice I added support to the title too....I think this thread is important for all three things.....I know it helps me.....

Replies

• jltheis7
    jltheis7 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Going to start this week off more proactive than I have been by setting my goals before the week starts. My goals are: (1) Curves 3 times, (2) 11,500 steps a day, (3) logging daily, (4) getting up in the morning rather than laying around til the last minute. This week is going to be busy and stressful but I am going to do my best to make healthy choices.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    1. Get back to the gym. Hit it at least 3 days. Normally I do 6 days but I have to remind myself I'm getting over an illness and not to overdo it (unless I feel capable)

2. Continue logging faithfully, and not stressing if I have a day where I'm over my calorie limit because most days I'm under anyway and it will all even out

3. Try to get in 8 hours of sleep a night. I have nighttime anxiety and my sleeping hours and habits have started to severely suck the last few months... and you can see it in my raccoon eyes. Time to start getting proper rest.
  • zilannoj
    zilannoj Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    • Walk to and from work everyday and during all of my breaks.
    • Though I'm going out to dinner on Monday, I'd like that to be the only time I eat out.
    • Learn a new recipe.
  • lpbrown51978
    lpbrown51978 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am new to the group and am really excited to put my goals in writing.

1. Make it to the gym 3 times this week
    2. Log every day
    3. Drink 96 oz of water everyday
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    Welcome, KameHame and Ipbrown.....great to see new posters!!

These are all great goals, we got this team!

jitheis had a great idea to add a small challenge to the thread some weeks, then I noticed that jocoblossoming had a goal to learn a new recipe....so why don't we all post our favorite healthy recipe this week! Then perhaps for next week we can each pick one and try it?? What do you guys think?

Penne with Chicken and Asparagus

1 package penne pasta
    5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
    2 skinless, boneless chicken breast - cut into cubes
    salt and pepper to taste
    1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
    1 bunch slender asparagus spears, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
    1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

Directions:

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil. Add pasta, and cook until al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, and set aside.

Warm 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.

Stir in chicken, and season with salt and pepper.
    Cook until chicken is cooked through and browned, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken to paper towels.

Pour chicken broth into the skillet. Then stir in asparagus, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cover, and steam until the asparagus is just tender, about 5 to 10 minutes.
    Return chicken to the skillet, and warm through.

Stir chicken mixture into pasta, and mix well. Let sit about 5 minutes. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, stir again, then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

I can't wait to see everybody else's!

jitheis - what time do you get up in the morning? I sometimes can get up no problem at 7am when my son does, but some mornings I have to go lay back down until 10am, at which point I MUST get up to get ready for work on time.....depends on when I get to bed and how well I slept.

KameHame - glad you are feeling better, saw your post on the last thread that you were very sick! That sucks, I hate being sick!!

jocoblossoming - do you sit at work? I find that because I stand all day at work, the last thing I want to do is be standing when I have a minute to sit down, lol

Ipbrown - your very first post! I am glad you found us!!
  • michellewalker8866
    Options
    Last week I made most of my goals. I made it to the gym 4 days out of 5. Still need to work on the daily calories.

This week my goal is to get to the gym at least 5 days and I am adding weight training. I really need to work on my food choices. This is becoming a hard one for me, because the minute I say I'm going to cut out what ever it is. I crave that item like crazy. So, I am going to work on portions this week.

I like the idea of recipes. I am going to try the Penn with Chicken and Asparagus. That sounds so good. I think my daughter will like it.
  • zilannoj
    Options
    Great idea, Unkown!

Spinach Walnut Pesto
    Ingredients
    • 12 oz. spinach
    • 6 garlic cloves (I like lots of garlic so feel free to add less)
    • Roughly 4 tablespoons of olive oil (I like it a little thicker, but I'll add a bit as I blend)
    • Salt and pepper to taste
    • 1 oz. of walnuts

I blend it until it's smooth. This batch usually lasts me a week, and I typically have pesto at least twice a day. It's addicting. My favorite thing to make my boyfriend is chicken pesto quesadillas (just add 4 oz. of diced chicken, 1 oz. of feta, 1 tablespoon of pesto, diced tomatoes and red onions... we also like to add bacon. I put it all in a tortilla, fold it in half and put it on a skillet over medium heat making sure to turn it over when the tortilla browns and the cheese melts. Nom). It's really easy to make on weeknights.
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    Well, I can't really take credit, it was jitheis' idea, but it was a great one!

Michelle - I do not really like the idea of cutting food out....I do not want to feel deprived. I try and limit it instead, personally. So once or twice a week I will have some snacks that are more 'junk' like, like chips and candy. Usually Wednesday when I am watching TV (most of my favorite shows are on that night), and if I go to the movies, which I do a few times I month, I always have some popcorn and candy.

May I ask what you are struggling with? Is it time to prep and cook whole food, and choosing processed food, or fast food? Or is it more sugary foods? Just curious....

• jltheis7
    Options
    Chicken with vegetables instead of pasta (love my veggeti slicer) as I limit my flour based products. Yummy! I got creative entering it into my diary though.

I got up at 5 am instead of 6; wow, I can get so much done in an hour! And it was so nice to come home knowing I had everything under control.

Not getting all my steps in
  • jltheis7
    Options
    Well half my post got lost...hmmm
  • jltheis7
    Options
    So to rewrite the missing half....

Welcome new posters!! You'll like this group!

Let's get the gym this week everyone!
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    I had a crap night.....I did great all day....ate something around 3:30pm.....got home from work at 5:30 as usual, had a meeting at 6, thought it would run until 7 or so....did not get home until after 10:30....ate everything in sight as I was starving.....back to the drawing board tomorrow....gonna make it to the gym in the afternoon, hang around my place in the morning due to going to bed so late.....
  • shballa
    shballa Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My goal for this week is to exercise at least 30 minutes every day.
  • jltheis7
    Options
    At training yesterday, today, tomorrow. Trying to get steps in...walking during breaks etc. But only getting about half my goal. And the two and a half hours in the car don't help either. But did awesome e a thing....packed lunch and snacks.
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    I had a rough two days there but did good today....I did not log, but I ate well....
  • zilannoj
    Options
    This week is exhausting, but I'm doing okay. I've had days where I am dragging my feet out the door to take a walk, but I do it anyway, and it feels really good to get over that "I don't wanna" part at the beginning.

I'm doing well with the no eating out, but I think I'm getting something for lunch today. I'll see how I feel at noon.

I've been writing a lot more about binging, and it feels really good to get those feelings out there. It was hard writing about it while I was binging but now that it's been so long, I find myself drawn to understand why I did it, how to prevent it and to learn ways to manage those feelings in the future.
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    I am not doing great this week.....its been a crazy stressful week....
    :(
  • jltheis7
    Options
    Sorry this week has been stressful. Hang in there and celebrate each healthy choice you make. I know that the more I focus on my self care, the less importance I give to those things that stress me out even though I hAve little or no control over them. I can control what I eat and if I take a walk. We can do this.
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    This week was terrible for me from Wednesday on.....my daughter causes me a LOT of stress at times.....she is coming home this Thursday coming up and leaving Christmas Day evening.....I am very tense and it reflects in my eating.....and my lack of exercise....I just keep telling myself that boxing day is right around the corner and then things will be calmer again.....
  • zilannoj
    Options
    Sorry things have been rough for you, Unknown. I hope things are a lot less stressful for you next week.

I tried a few new recipes this week. First, I made pizza dough. I had the biggest craving for pizza, and it was perfect. I'm making it again today with pesto, artichokes, spinach and zucchini. Today, I tried making Mexican rice. It turned out really well. As a kid, I loved making the rice from a package, and I'm amazed at how easy it was to do on my own. Finally, tried a spinach artichoke dip.

I think I'm going to extend my "no eating out" challenge through January. I'm having such a fun time learning new things in the kitchen.