What's up in your belly dance world?

Options
aerochic42
aerochic42 Posts: 820 Member
The reality is I just wanted to see how stuff shows up in the current version of MFP groups, but to keep it bellydance related. What are you working on currently bellydance wise? costumes, choreo, fitness, getting that one move down, etc?

In class I'm relearning a choreo that I probably haven't danced in about 6 years and practicing another that we learned. I need to do some costume repair but can't get to my sewing stuff.

Replies

• lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting, aerochic -- I have been trying to find my groups, especially this one! I'm taking a technique class and performing with a troupe, but I'm also seeing exciting performances. The most fun -- Raven's Night at the Birchmere, a local music hall that presents belly dance a few times a year. Raven's Night is their Halloween show, and this year's SF-themed show ended with an onstage wedding of the show's organizers, witnessed by the entire audience. Virginia is for lovers! This weekend Moria Chapell will be doing workshops and then performing in our school's Halloween hafla.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I just found a new dance studio home! I'm so happy. The studio I was with for the past 11 years closed when the owner moved too far away, I took about a month break and started at a new studio owned by a friend I have made through dance a few weeks ago. I was doubting my decision until last night when I was in her classes for the first time, I was telling another student where I had come from and that I was looking for a new studio home and my friend interrupted to say "and you are home!" at that point I started to realize, I have found my new home, I was just in the wrong spot, now that I've found classes that I fit into, I'm happy (and I've already started learning some new techniques!)
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    :D warriorcupcake that is awesome!!

I have discovered that my reverse undulations look either like cat throwing up a hairball or pterodactyl if my arms get involved because my elbows lead. Neither of these look graceful in any way. I have decided to work on that move and retrain my brain and body.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm branching out and taking gogo dancing classes. I've always done American tribal or modern belly dance fusion. I'm going to be incorporating bellydance freestyle into my electrodance workouts and see how that goes.

Also continuing classes with Rachel Bryce's studio, so bewteen the two series I'm starting the month, I hope to be a more seasoned dancer in 8 weeks time.
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, sorry to resurrect an old post but how's everyone doing? I recently started taking oriental classes for the first time in years add my black sheep teacher is injured and I had an empty slot on Fridays.I'm really enjoying it though. My snake arms look terrible and need some work, but I can work on that at home.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    Options
    It's good to update posts like this sometimes! :) Well, have been taking bellydance bootcamp and bellydance groove at my new home and loving it! I joined Shimmy Mob 2015 to get to know some of my fellow dancers at the studio and we're having a blast learning the choreography. I'm learning so many new things and new techniques, it's great and I've even started to consider trying some classes that I was convinced that I would never take (I've already agreed that by the end of this year I will have taken at least one burlesque class!)
  • Izanami66
    Izanami66 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Good stuff MissDaisy and WarriorCupcake!! You'll smooth those snakearms out in no time! I really want to take a few burlesque classes at some point as well! I'm thinking of purchasing Sadie's new belly dance work out DVD to add to my exercise regimen rotation. My classes and practices are workouts, or sure, but I'd like to try something more bootcamp style and exercise focused. Will let you all know how it is when/if I get it. As far as my 2015 year so far: whew!! Still with two troupes. I've learned four new numbers so far and performed three times. My new numbers include zills, candles in brandy snifters (albeit battery-operated candles for now. Didn't have enough time to practice with real ones before the show), and a gorgeous new double veil number that's going to be a show-stopper!!

I hope to keep up the momentum throughout the year! Some highlights I'm looking forward to are dancing (again) in an old slaughterhouse with a bunch of bellydancers, flow artists, fire spinners, drummers, hippies, pirates, etc. for my friend's second album release party (What a trip that is! ); performing our Steampunk Frankenstein number at the International Steampunk Symposium in April; dancing at a Pirate themed event in March; and debuting our new double veil number at the international festival A World A'fair in May. Not to mention many other performances, haflas, and festivals. Can't wait!! Hope I can keep up. :blush:
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    What's up, shimmiers?
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    Options
    Well, my bootcamp class got cancelled for the summer :( but I picked up burlesque and really like it and signed up for a choreography class (they're extra, but it's sword.... and I really need to work on my sword!)
  • Izanami66
    Izanami66 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Well, the momentum hasn't stopped for me! I'm now teaching a class Monday nights, assisting with one and having troupe practice on Tuesday, and taking a class and practicing with my other troupe on Sunday. Whew!! July is actually a fairly slow month for performances, with only one show this weekend, but the next two months and into the Halloween season are going to be busy busy busy!! How about you, Lentigogirl? Whatcha been up to??