Missing Reps

meglo91
meglo91 Posts: 65 Member
Hey SL womenz,

Does anybody have excellent advice on how to safely miss reps? I'm thinking specifically of squats here. The gym I work out at does not have those safety pin things on the side of the rack that will catch the barbell if I drop it. Most of the advice I'm seeing on the internet is "don't miss squat reps", and I plan not to, but just in case ... any advice? Guides? How-tos?

Replies

• logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    I was told to let the barbell fall backwards and push my body forward. The only time I've failed though is when a PT was spotting me and recommended a totally different stance for my feet.
  • Your gym doesn't have a power cage you could use? If no racks with pins are available, maybe you could stack up some boxes (used for box jumps) or something to catch the bar.

Another option is to use a spotter. Either ask someone in the gym or work out with a buddy.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited December 2014
    Drop it off your back. It isn't ideal, but it is the safest way to get out from under it if you get down and can't lift it back up (and don't have a cage or spotter to catch it).
  • meglo91
    Thanks, guys. Yeah, workout buddies are not really an option. I work out at off times and don't have friends to go with. And the gym I go to is pretty dead, so there aren't always a ton of folks around.
    I'm going with the drop it off my back option. Thanks again!
  • Definitely drop it off the back -- NEVER try to get it on front of you. And it's going to feel weird, but I'd recommend practicing a few times with low weights (not just the bar though), just so you have a bit of muscle memory if you ever find yourself in that position. At least if your gym is dead, people won't stare. :)
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Has anyone dropped the bar with no clips on for the plates? No one uses clips at my gym. I asked about clips at the front desk once and was told if have to check them out so I just don't use them. Don't ask me why they do this.

I am afraid the plates will drop all over the place and hit things/ people if I drop the bar on a squat.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    nancy274 wrote: »
    I am afraid the plates will drop all over the place and hit things/ people if I drop the bar on a squat.

well, perhaps if they do, the gym will stop treating their clips like the effing crown jewels. what a brainless little piece of nit-pickery.

• I have my own set of clips. Easier than hunting down a set every time I want them.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    I failed yesterday (in a stupid attempt to try to squat my full weight on rep 3 set 5 with a different stance) and went forward. Thank goodness for the pins, but definitely going to practice failing now. I don't often lift alone (usually my husband is there), but I don't want to do that again.

I did get back up and redo that rep and finish the rest.... I just shouldn't play with stance and balance with full weight. Dumb decision.
  • meglo91
    crabada wrote: »
    Definitely drop it off the back -- NEVER try to get it on front of you. And it's going to feel weird, but I'd recommend practicing a few times with low weights (not just the bar though), just so you have a bit of muscle memory if you ever find yourself in that position. At least if your gym is dead, people won't stare. :)[/quote

Oh, now that is an excellent idea. Thanks!