Measurements : for those at the beginning of this journey.

Options
I made the mistake of not measuring. But in hindsight it would have helped me through perceived stalls so much better to have done so early on. I am 9 months out and 118 pound down but the last 6 weeks have been reasonably slow compared to previous months. However it seems I jumped a clothes size. I didn't just go down 1 size, I went down two without realizing it. I last bought clothes at size 16 and yesterday bought 12's. Skipped 14's so to speak. I really cannot equate the size loss with the scale movement in my head because I don't think about cm or inches, just kg or pounds. So for those of you yet to get far in this journey, take measurements. You'll be very surprised at the amazing things your body does even when those scales get stuck.

Replies

• erinmariefleming
    Options
    Great advice - it's so important to have NSV - non-scale victories. I bought a dress a few sizes down - it's a "three-season" outfit, so there's a good chance I'll be able to wear it whenever I actually fit into it. I try it on every week or so to see how close I am.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I agree about measuring! It is never too late to start! Also, on MFP you can track your measurement changes. I do it. Just go to "check in", create categories for, i.e., "waist", "bust", "hip", etc., and input your measurements in inches or centimeters, and update it. I can't say that I keep up with measuring myself too often, but it is helpful to do so.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Take 'before' pictures. It is painful and embarrassing, but I am glad I have them from the start. I also have before pictures from a couple of other (failed) WL attempts.

Rob
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I agree about measuring! It is never too late to start! Also, on MFP you can track your measurement changes. I do it. Just go to "check in", create categories for, i.e., "waist", "bust", "hip", etc., and input your measurements in inches or centimeters, and update it. I can't say that I keep up with measuring myself too often, but it is helpful to do so.

I really need to do this. My scale is not moving much these days. I might see more progress if I measure. Thx for the tip!
  • Thaeda
    Options
    juliebccs wrote: »
    I made the mistake of not measuring. But in hindsight it would have helped me through perceived stalls so much better to have done so early on. I am 9 months out and 118 pound down but the last 6 weeks have been reasonably slow compared to previous months. However it seems I jumped a clothes size. I didn't just go down 1 size, I went down two without realizing it. I last bought clothes at size 16 and yesterday bought 12's. Skipped 14's so to speak. I really cannot equate the size loss with the scale movement in my head because I don't think about cm or inches, just kg or pounds. So for those of you yet to get far in this journey, take measurements. You'll be very surprised at the amazing things your body does even when those scales get stuck.

Almost 120 pounds in 9 months is SUPER! I would have loved to "skip" a size!! Good for you!!!
  • Thaeda
    Options
    rpyle111 wrote: »
    Take 'before' pictures. It is painful and embarrassing, but I am glad I have them from the start. I also have before pictures from a couple of other (failed) WL attempts.

Rob

I have some pretty rough before pics too-- but glad I have them. :)
  • JEMP65
    JEMP65 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I had taken my measurements two weeks prior to surgery. When I hit a stall at three weeks post surgery I redid my measurements. Yippee! Scale hadn't moved but I had lost any where from 1/2 inch to 3 inches off every spot! Made me very happy, especially the three inches of my waist!