Help getting toned

Options
Hey:) I am 5 ft 0 I weigh 100 pounds and I'm what's called skinny fat I'm just wondering if this routine would help me to become how I want to be?: 5 days a week 2 hours of cardio and 30 minutes of body weight exercises and eating healthy ? Anything else I need to know aswell?? Also was thinking of buying a barbell but not sure what weight and would a barbell actually help?

I wanna be thin like this:

http://fitness-is-for-me.tumblr.com/image/46671784599

Replies

• micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Cardio won't do anything for toning. Your best bet is go with lifting. Get the barbell and several plates to increase the weight as you succeed.
  • buffy0182
    buffy0182 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you want to tone, you will need to incorporate strength training, resistance training, or any kind of weight-lifting into your routine. As Michele above me mentioned, cardio helps you shed calories and won't be effective in creating a toned look. Any fitness model you see has a strength training routine in their exercise regimen.
  • kgilrivera
    Options
    Hey I would really recommend this book. You will learn EVERYTHING you need. It helped me a lot. Thinner Leaner and Stronger by Michael Matthews. As Michelle said, weight lifting is the best thing you can do. Have Instagram? katherin.gil add me.
  • scuba6randy
    scuba6randy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    are you talking 2 hours of cardio a day?! That's a lot! I agree with the others, do some weight training. When you do cardio, you burn calories, mainly while you're actually working out; but when you weight train, you burn while you're working out AND after because your body is building muscle which takes energy (calories), so you're actually revving up your metabolism for a couple of days!! AND adding shape/tone to your body, so you don't just look skinny, you'll look FIT!
    But warning.... don't obsess with the scale if you start doing some weight training because muscle weighs more than fat. You can actually lose fat and gain "weight" because muscle is made up of mostly water.