Deadlift; Romanian, straigh leg, which is better or your preference

Options
dafoots0911
dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
Been ready to go back to Stronglifts and want to change up on the deadlift that is done (which looks like a squat to me) but which deadlift are most of you doing and why? The Romanian works more (as does straight leg, I think) of the hamstrings. What exactly does a regular deadlift work other than the quads? Just a little clarification for me please. TIA

Replies

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    lifts-deadlift.jpg muscles the deadlift works

It's going to be about your preference. Romanian and straight leg are usually considered to be more accessory lifts to help with your conventional deadlift.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=QR6HDEmBQNo Video illustrates the difference between Romanian and straight/stiff leg.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/rdl-vs-sldl.html/
    http://bretcontreras.com/whats-the-difference-between-a-romanian-deadlift-american-deadlift-stiff-legged-deadlift-and-straight-leg-deadlift/

• katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    The regular deadlift primarily works your back; sometimes I feel them in my glutes, but I have never felt deadlifts in my quads.
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBDeadlift.html
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I've felt it in my back, posterior chain, and quads mostly from doing the conventional deadlift. I've just added RDL to my routine to hit the hamstrings and glutes more.

The conventional deadlift is a great back exercise imo. The above links are really useful too.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Rdls and sl dls are more of an accessory lift. You can lift more with a conventional deadlift so it's typically better in a "bang for your buck" sense. If you're feeling it in your quads you either have unusual anthtopometrics or poor form.
  • spirit095
    Options
    Fittreelol wrote: »
    Rdls and sl dls are more of an accessory lift. You can lift more with a conventional deadlift so it's typically better in a "bang for your buck" sense. If you're feeling it in your quads you either have unusual anthtopometrics or poor form.

Is it OK to feel it a little bit in the quads? I'm not sure I feel it because of the deadlifts or if they're still too "on" from my squats. I mostly feel it in my back and glutes, though.

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Conventional all the way for me. At least as a main lift. It works my calves, glutes, hammies, lower back, core, hips, upper back and forearms (grip strength) at the very least.

Not sure about the quads. They have to be involved somewhat because you're supposed to push the knees out a bit, so they'll be active to a degree.

If your deadlift looks like a squat, your hips are possibly starting way too low.

If you really want to change it up, sumo deadlifts would be my pick. RDLs are not even a real deadlift (the bar is never "dead" on the floor), and straight-legged are quite limiting and easy to mess up and they kinda force you to round the upper back a bit, which isn't great either if you start pulling heavy enough.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Another vote for conventional. Not only is it an excellent total body workout but it's practical because it teaches you how to correctly life heavy things off the ground.

It shouldn't look like a squat... first, the movement is in the opposite direction; second, as Krok said, your hips should not start as low as a squat; and third, you're holding the bar in a different way which changes the mechanics of the movement.

I'll do straight leg deadlifts sometimes to target my hamstrings. This is not a replacement for regular deadlifts, though, completely for the reason that it isolates muscles. Same for Romanian. These limit the range of motion and use less of your body.

• spirit095
    Options
    I can't edit my other posts, but I do the conventional DL for my main one. I've taped myself and my hips are high enough so it doesn't look like a squat. It does help that I'm short and the bar is high enough from the ground for me lol. Thanks for the info and advice :)

Also, sorry for kind of hijacking your post OP!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    spirit095 wrote: »
    Is it OK to feel it a little bit in the quads? I'm not sure I feel it because of the deadlifts or if they're still too "on" from my squats. I mostly feel it in my back and glutes, though.

I never feel it there, but I have really good ratios for deadlifting. I would think someone with longer legs in proportion to their height might feel it some in their quads. If you know your hips aren't too low I wouldn't worry about it.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    I'm tall and I don't really feel it in my quadriceps but I'll try and pay attention to it next time I deadlift. I feel it more in my hip flexors and inner thighs. I also have ape-style arms so that might make me use my quads less. Perhaps your stance is too close together. If you widen it, it might take some of the pressure off your quads.

Also forgot to mention that every time I do straight leg deads, they feel easy but then I have trouble sitting and standing for several days after. It's fine but I sound like I'm 100 and/or 1000 pounds every time I move. Maybe it's because I don't do them enough.
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thanks for all your feedback. By the way I meant glutes not quads so thanks for correcting me on that.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Thanks for all the good info, peeps. After watching and reading all the posted links, I think I've decided my starting position is way too low. But I'm also a shorty (5'4") -- anyone have suggestions about that?

C.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    crabada wrote: »
    Thanks for all the good info, peeps. After watching and reading all the posted links, I think I've decided my starting position is way too low. But I'm also a shorty (5'4") -- anyone have suggestions about that?

C.

I'm not that much taller (5'6") and I wouldn't really call 5'4" being a shorty! lol. I don't remember if you're using 45s yet? If not then it's definitely a bit harder to make the start position be appropriate because the bar is closer to the ground, so you either have to round your upper back a bit (straight-legged like) or bend your knees further. You're basically doing a deficit deadlift until you reach 135 unless you have bumpers. But in this case being shorter would be an advantage! lol. Unless you have a very short torso compared to your legs.

Everyone will be a bit different when it comes to leverages. Are you able to straighten your legs a bit more at the start at all?
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I do convention DL as my main lift but did some Romanian DLs yesterday. I can definitely tell that I gave my hamstrings a good workout, which is what I wanted.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I do Conventional, hate Sumos (just don't feel right to me), and rarely do RDLs anymore.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    @Krok -- I am at 45s. But I feel like I start with my *kitten* really low in comparison to what I was seeing in the videos. Going to play with this more when I can finally breathe through my nose again and get back to the gym.
  • SouthernDaisy4
    SouthernDaisy4 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Conventional