What time do you workout???

Options
maryevink
maryevink Posts: 27 Member
I'm sure this has been asked before but I am looking for some insight on when works best for you to workout? I work from 10:30-6:30. I would like to do it then just so that I can get it out of the way but I am usually pretty tired. Right now I'm trying to workout when I wake up. It seems to be going okay. Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions on what works best for them I'd love to hear it :)

Replies

• kikstand
    kikstand Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have to switch mine around because I go from days to nights at 12 hour pops. 8 to 8 is a terrible time! Some of us tried to get our employer to change it to 6 or even 7 but not enough employees wanted a change and the 0800 shift change works well for the supervisors who come in Monday through Friday at that time to get all of the information from the horse's(us) mouth.

I have been working out when I get home from work because I'm usually already sweaty or have sweat throughout the shift and don't mind getting hard core with my workout. Yes, after 12 I'm spent a lot of times even with drinking a pre-workout at 0730 or 1930. The problem I have with working out before shifts is I feel like I'm always going to be late or running behind so it's hard to concentrate on my sets. And also working 12 doesn't give much time to sleep when you calculate the eat, transportation, workout, and shower aspect so I can pretty much hit the weights already running after work whereas I have to get up early, wake myself up with a pre-workout, give it time to kick in, etc...

Hope my post helps, but regardless, stick with it. I'm determined to not give up either.
  • Ryan_Case
    Ryan_Case Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The real answer is whenever I can. I work 12s (1900-0730), and tend to work seven days out of a nine day stretch with five to seven off after. When I am working I go home and go to bed as soon as possible. This allows me to get up around 1430 and go work out, then I come home have family time, including a meal, and go to work.

When I am not working, I still tend to be a night owl. So when the family goes to bed I head to the gym. On these days I tend to be there longer, near three hours usually. When working it tends to be an hour or so. And by the end of a stretch of working I usually skip a couple of days.

What I try really hard to do is keep my calorie count lower during the days I work so that if I am too tired to make it to work out, I don't get down on myself as much.
  • Codylee84
    Options
    From everything I have read, from a sleep standpoint, you should work out when you first get up. I'm like you when I get home after shift I'm beat. My 12 shift usually ends up being a 16 to 18 hour day with travel and family. On avg. I get about 6 or less hours of sleep. It's hard to get up some days to work out. I don't know what your goals are or workout program, but I started to do StrongLifts since I haven't worked out in about 2 years. It is a nice simple program. If I hit it hard, it would take me an hour to an hour and a half. It was 3 days a week so if I didn't do cardio on the off days then I slept in. Again, I would suggest working out in the morning or when you get up.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I workout in the evenings after I wake up. Then shower and eat and get ready for work. (work from 10:45-6:45) I've occasionally done morning workouts right when I get off work… usually on Saturday morning as I'm just finishing my last shift for the week. But on a regular basis… I just don't have the energy in the mornings that I do in the evenings.
  • sckwee
    sckwee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I work 7pm to 7am. I tried to do the...get up at 4pm and workout and shower and get ready but.... it's so much easier to hit snooze for another hour and sleep. So I've been trying to come home from work and workout for a bit then hit the sack. It has been much more productive. I find that I actually work out instead of just...snoozing. Also, I'm never really able to fall asleep right when I get home from work anyway.
    That's me!
  • trivard676
    trivard676 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I go straight from work to the gym. Because I know that after a long day of work (1830-0300), the moment I walk through the door, I will not want to leave.

Other days, I wake up and straight away put my running clothes on and head out to the trail for a run. I get home with enough time to shower and get ready for work. Provided that lunch was made the night before.
  • Killian_Wargear
    Killian_Wargear Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This is pretty old. However here's my two creds. I work 6pm to 6am. My routine is to wake up at 3pm. Hit the treadmill or concrete for a fast twenty minutes run, mellow 30-35 minute jog, or cool 45 minute walk. Every other day I do 15 minutes of upper bid strength lifting. Hit the shower and have a bowl of Special K and/or some PB 'n' celery, make my lunch/dinner while chit chatting with my wife and kids. Somewhere in there I dress. I hit the front door between 4:30 and 4:45. I try to roll into work around 5:30. Driving as need to do so (sometimes stopping at sheetz to get a diet Pepsi at the fountain machine). I then do paperwork and get equipment ready to go by 6pm and am on the road. Time clock shows clocking in at 5:30. Don't worry I'm missing out on that half hour lol while on duty I do squats and pushups off the equipment, usually a truck stair or tail gate. I climb in and out of the truck several times a night as well. I'm back in the shop around 5:30am to 6am and heading home. Once home I try not to do too much cuz I don't want to get things pumping and end up for hours laying in bed wishing I was asleep. So I do ten minutes of tae chi, nothing fancy. This has been extremely hard to stick to but I feel it must be done if I am to ever ride a roller coaster with my kids and wife. A couple years ago I wasn't aloud to ride many Universal studios rides do to the seat test before getting in line. My son was very saddened by this and I'm going to make it up to him.

However, soon I will be needed to stay up and get the kids to school. They get on around 8:20am. So I'll have a space of time with nothing to do. Any ideas to fill the time that wont get my blood pumping and keep me awake?